Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Old Guy Looking for Better Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Guy Looking for Better Headlights

I've been lurking here for a while and now need some advice. I have a 92 Extra-Cab 4X4. (Bought new. Best vehicle I have ever owned and I've owned quite a few.) It looks like both headlights now have holes in them. The current headlights are Sylvania "Xtra-Vision". They are a big step up from the stock units. I'm curious if perhaps there is even a better light out there. I'm not interested in those blue looking lights. The last thing I need is to be attracting attention to myself. I see Sylvania makes a new headlight called "Silver Star".

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

They describe the light as intense white hot. The only concern that I have about these is in rainy / foggy weather. I'm afraid that they may reflect back too much. I would sure be interested to hear back from anyone running Silverstars or other headlights that work better than stock.

Thanks in advance!

Ray
Old 10-18-2003, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

I have the Silver Star bulbs in mine and absolutely love them. They are a brighter, cleaner white than the stock lights. I was very leary of them before i bought them, and thought they might look blue, but I have been very pleased. I really can't say that I have driven in the rain at night, yet. i think you would be happy with them.

One thing you might want to do once you get your new lights is to put this material on the face of your lights, especially since they are glass. I had it on my last car's fog lights and it saved them several times from rocks and other debris. I had it on them for 4 years and it didn't yellow at all.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10228
Old 10-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

i have the silver stars in my 93 runner. they do well during the night but, disappear when it rains at night. although, they do look a lot better than stock
Old 10-18-2003, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Here are some comparisons when I was first testing them out.
Attached Thumbnails Old Guy Looking for Better Headlights-ss-2.jpg  
Old 10-18-2003, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

One more.....
Attached Thumbnails Old Guy Looking for Better Headlights-ss-1.jpg  
Old 10-18-2003, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They describe the light as intense white hot. The only concern that I have about these is in rainy / foggy weather. I'm afraid that they may reflect back too much.
Ray,

That's been my experience w/ these "white" bulbs. I had the PIAA Superwhites which were the absolute worst in the rain/fog...and we hardly have any of that in So Cal. I replaced them with Philips Blue Visions. They are better but not as good as the stock Toyota bulbs. My wife has a 95 Camry and her stock bulbs are much better than my Blue Visions. As soon as they wear out, I'm going back to stock.

Also, consider buying fog lights since you're up in the Northwest.

Bob
Old 10-19-2003, 12:11 PM

I have a '94 xTraCab and I too, am getting "long in the tooth". I put a set of 100w Hella H4 replacement lens and bulb combos on mine a few years ago and love them. The light color is normal and the wattage is awesome. They are not cheap, but they are effective.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Ray, what Mudbone did to his rig is what I did to my '91 4Runner.
I have the Hella replacement lens, but still running the Piaa Super Plasma Whites which are a bad bulb as Bob above described for rain.

One day I will swap them out for some bulbs from Danial Stern.
You can find a link to his site in the Community section and the "YotaTech on the web" page.
Danial is a very nice guy to work with.
He also carries a replacement lens that he claims is better focused than the Hella lens.
I know a few on here have them, and it might be member Churnd that has them.

The Hella lens alone will run you about $40 each at Central 4WD down in Kent.
I see you are in Lake Tapps, about 5 minutes from me
Old 10-19-2003, 02:41 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. It looks like I have a few options to look into.

Corey, it sounds like you live close. I live just a bit east of the lake and just north of Tapps Island.

Thanks again!

Ray
Old 10-19-2003, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

If you want the cheap way out I would go with the silverstars. I have them and love them. Further on that, do a search for HID. I posted a scientific study done by some college (can't remember where) on these new bulbs. They concluded that the silverstars were the best light emmiting and the least blinding. New lenses will be the best way to get more light but new lenses with silverstars I think is your best bet. Keep your stock bulbs and recept, but I'm almost positive you won't be dissappointed.

Good luck!