Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OK, this is my LAST paranoid dumb exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 11:39 AM
Ant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, this is my LAST paranoid dumb exhaust question

Gotta new 03, less than 500 mi and am this close (thumb & index finger 1/2" apart) from getting a Flowmaster exhaust.

1) This will NOT screw up my factory warrenty or cause any problems with the emision system or other engine stuff, etc?

2) Can I just have the Flowmaster muffler welded in place of the stock muff AND keep the resonator thingy or go with new tubing from the cat back?

3) Wait till I get more miles then make the change?

4) Leave the damn thing alone and first get shocks and a lapdance at the local strip club?
Old 08-18-2003, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Brian
Old 08-18-2003, 11:42 AM

I'd say wait until the engine is fully broken in, then go ahead. I don't know what an aftermarket exhaust would do to an engine during break-in. On top of that... you'll just want to floor it and listen to the sound anyways... and who wants to be tempted during break in?
Old 08-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Banned

And I thought I had it bad...

Ant has got the MADMAN MOD FEVER!!!

Brian
Old 08-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Ant

Originally posted by OneTrickToy
I'd say wait until the engine is fully broken in, then go ahead. I don't know what an aftermarket exhaust would do to an engine during break-in. On top of that... you'll just want to floor it and listen to the sound anyways... and who wants to be tempted during break in?
Now that makes sense!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:53 AM
Ant

Re: And I thought I had it bad...

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Ant has got the MADMAN MOD FEVER!!!

Brian
Sigh, I just can't leave my stuff alone. I figure if God went to the trouble of giving us all these mod options who the hell am I to not dip into the well so to speak.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:57 AM
A+

rule numero uno-if the mod was the cause of whatever problem you had then they won't honor the warranty
Old 08-18-2003, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

My '03 came from Toyota with the dual Borla cat-back. It will not harm your engine to have an aftermarket exhaust during break-in. It actually might help, reducing back pressure. Your rig will run rough at whatever time you replace the exhaust, new or slightly used, because the ECU will need to adjust to the new stacks. It took mine about 250 miles to run completely smoothly, only issues were rough idle and gear 'hunting'. But it sounds and runs GOOD now! Don't worry about the decreased backpressure, somebody will say it reduces your torque, but at 320+lbs of torque, you won't have to worry. Unless you plan to pull a double-wide or something. If you want to really go crazy, plop in a K&N filter. Mine also came from Toyota with a reusable aFe filter in the breather. If it was so bad, I don't think Toyota would have made this Borla/filter setup a factory option. Option code DE10 for those interested.

Don't know anything about the Flowmaster, but the Borla set-up is completely warranted under the basic powertrain warranty. I broke mine in like a baby, and still drive conservatively, and have to this day only floored it three times (4000miles). I like the General Lee rumble and watching 1-2-3 generation Runner drivers inch up for a closer look at lights.

BTW, the Borla can be installed in your garage using basic tools, no cutting, welding, etc. Spec sheet says it should take about an hour for dual pipe install.

Last edited by Sac State; 08-18-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:18 PM
Ant

Originally posted by Sac State
My '03 came from Toyota with the dual Borla cat-back. It will not harm your engine to have an aftermarket exhaust during break-in. It actually might help, reducing back pressure. Your rig will run rough at whatever time you replace the exhaust, new or slightly used, because the ECU will need to adjust to the new stacks. It took mine about 250 miles to run completely smoothly, only issues were rough idle and gear 'hunting'. But it sounds and runs GOOD now! Don't worry about the decreased backpressure, somebody will say it reduces your torque, but at 320+lbs of torque, you won't have to worry. Unless you plan to pull a double-wide or something. If you want to really go crazy, plop in a K&N filter. Mine also came from Toyota with a reusable aFe filter in the breather. If it was so bad, I don't think Toyota would have made this Borla/filter setup a factory option. Option code DE10 for those interested.

Don't know anything about the Flowmaster, but the Borla set-up is completely warranted under the basic powertrain warranty. I broke mine in like a baby, and still drive conservatively, and have to this day only floored it three times (4000miles). I like the General Lee rumble and watching 1-2-3 generation Runner drivers inch up for a closer look at lights.

BTW, the Borla can be installed in your garage using basic tools, no cutting, welding, etc. Spec sheet says it should take about an hour for dual pipe install.
I've been looking at Toyota's Borla and the one thing holding me back is the price tag (almost 2x the cost of the Flowmaster) but I'm also thinking about what you said regarding being completely warranted.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Banned

Cost?

I haven't priced one, I've been scared to even look. What does the OEM Borla exhaust run from the dealer?

Just curious...

Brian
Old 08-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Ant

Re: Cost?

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
I haven't priced one, I've been scared to even look. What does the OEM Borla exhaust run from the dealer?

Just curious...

Brian
$550-ish
Old 08-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Banned

Includes?

Is that duals from the cat conv or what? and is that installed?

Brian
Old 08-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

I know Borla is $$$$ aftermarket. I paid invoice for the set-up, something like $575, so I was happy. I ran into a new neighbor the other night, in introducing myself he said, 'Your the one with the dual Borla!". How sad that I am known throughout the neighborhood as Borla-man. I resemble that remark!

The price on the Toyota factory sticker was $779. You can look at Performance Parts(Products), can't remember, and their Borla dual set-up is like $774 w/o shipping. Maybe have the dealer order it for you to save shipping and see if they will price match.

Borla pics=Montypics=RIP

Do a search on this board, it might come up. The duals are side mounted, coming out just behind the mud flap on both sides.

Last edited by Sac State; 08-18-2003 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Banned

Sac..

got any pics of your exhaust? Where do they come out from under the rig? At the factory spot?

Brian