Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ok, I said I wouldn't but S/C my 98 with 131k ???

Old 09-12-2006, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I said I wouldn't but S/C my 98 with 131k ???

I S/C'd my 99 at around 40k and it ran flawlessly for around 20k.

My 98 has 131k and I really do not know the service history. Even though I said I wouldn't, (I have an S4 for playtime) I am itching to get a little more passing performance with the ski season coming up and my 450 mile round trip commute every weekend.

I can check compresssions...I have no codes etc at this time.

So, if I ran low boost.....

...whaddya think and what is your experience ?
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beware the ping and lean-out she comes with...

Why did your '99 "only" run for 20K miles with the S/C?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:15 AM

I've got 123k miles and all of them are supercharged miles. Still runs and pulls hard. To be on the safe side, get adequate fuel mods. I'm currently on stock injectors, which I'll be upgrading soon.

Love the supercharger. Charging up to the ski slopes are no problem at all. At these high elevations, lot of cars start panting, but mine's great. I don't think I'd ever own a 3rd gen without a supercharger.

Last edited by cackalak han; 09-12-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:49 AM

I SCd my 99 Runner @ 130k miles. It now has 155k... No issues. No ping. My intake, fuel system, exhaust, etc is all stock (maybe that's why it doesn't have trouble?). Running: Iridum Plugs, Free FMU, 6psi pully, TRD thermo, Mobile 1. Doesn't burn any oil. Runs smooth. Loads more power. I'd highly recommend the trans VB and tranny cooler.

Sometime I'll probably do the 7th injector to regain the power lost with my 33s, winch, arb bumper, sliders, etc. I still get around 18mpg tho.

My install info: http://gitout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712
Old 09-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

DO IT!!!!! I'm just too cheap.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by mastacox
Beware the ping and lean-out she comes with...

Why did your '99 "only" run for 20K miles with the S/C?
Had to take it off when truck came off lease. I have had an 03 and and a 93 since then (not including the 98 : )

David
Old 09-12-2006, 12:07 PM

I have 200k miles supercharged 100k of them DO IT
Old 09-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

I bought a 97 with 197K miles on it, 100K of them SC'd. It pinged like a mother due to no fuel/timing mods, but when I put it back to stock it ran like a top. Mine has 94K miles, 6K or so SC'd. I would love to know the secret behind you folks that "don't need fuel/timing mods."

While I believe climate and available fuel octane rating has something to do with it, I just don't think it's smart. I just put in 308cc injectors and still have -6 degrees of timing cranked out of the "ping zone" (1600 - 2800 RPM).

Oh well, to each his own. My vote is to do what you can afford and as long as the engine checks out in good condition.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I bought a 97 with 197K miles on it, 100K of them SC'd. It pinged like a mother due to no fuel/timing mods, but when I put it back to stock it ran like a top. Mine has 94K miles, 6K or so SC'd. I would love to know the secret behind you folks that "don't need fuel/timing mods."
I have no idea why yours would ping so bad? Mine's completely stock w/TRD superchager and has not pinged once. I used to run 91 Octane (that's Premium in Utah) and now I just run regular and it still runs great.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by p nut
I have no idea why yours would ping so bad? Mine's completely stock w/TRD superchager and has not pinged once. I used to run 91 Octane (that's Premium in Utah) and now I just run regular and it still runs great.
Maybe because you are at what, 4300ft ASL? Also, like many of us "tuner" guys say here time and time again...it's not just the audible ping that will nail you, it's also the fact that the stock fuel pump cannot keep up with sustained WOT jaunts, and that your EGT's might be through the roof. I think it is simply a testimony to the strength of these engines, but I still wouldn't play with fire. And yes, we have seen blown motors come around every now and then. Most of them just throw a rod or burn a hole through the piston...or fry a ring or two.

OK, that's enough for now.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:24 PM

^^ i totaly agree!

These engines take whatever you give it...truley amazing!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:56 AM

Maybe because you are at what, 4300ft ASL? Also, like many of us "tuner" guys say here time and time again...it's not just the audible ping that will nail you, it's also the fact that the stock fuel pump cannot keep up with sustained WOT jaunts, and that your EGT's might be through the roof. I think it is simply a testimony to the strength of these engines, but I still wouldn't play with fire. And yes, we have seen blown motors come around every now and then. Most of them just throw a rod or burn a hole through the piston...or fry a ring or two.

OK, that's enough for now.
Yes, I understand that. I agree a beefier fuel pump/inj/etc would be helpful. But why would Toyota offer up the S/C from the factory, if they didn't think the stock fuel system was adequate? This is a sincere question, because I do not know too much about the fuel management system.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by p nut
But why would Toyota offer up the S/C from the factory, if they didn't think the stock fuel system was adequate? This is a sincere question, because I do not know too much about the fuel management system.
Well, I would answer this question with a question:

Why would Toyota offer the "Free FMU" mod and 7th Injector kit (and port) for use with the 2nd gen SC'r if there wasn't a problem?

Of course, they don't really address the stock fuel pump fuel starvation issue, but they would probably just tell you to stop making sustained WOT runs or something. Yeah, like I am going to do that
Old 10-06-2006, 05:39 AM

Im looking into the fuel mods myself. And well I havent quite saved up for the complete URD kit. Nor do I even have the choice of the 7th injector, Just because I have the GEN I S/C. But heres my (?), Can the stock injectors handle the fuel pump from the URD kit? If so ill do the fuel pump for now, and work on getting some used supra injectors. And like 96 Runner, I live in AZ too, and get the same ping that he gets.

When i do hear the slightest of pinging i let off the gas. I use 91 octane. But im looking for a shell out here in AZ that still has the 93. I cant seem to find one out here :cry:

But yeah, If I can use just the fuel pump from URD then itll be boughten today, if i get a respose
Old 10-06-2006, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

I just put an S/C on the engine and it runs perfect at 6 psi of boost, no ping.

The secret? No carbon build up = no hot spots = no ping. I can make it ping when I push it very hard, but why should I? It's fast enough.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:01 AM

it's not just the audible ping that will nail you, it's also the fact that the stock fuel pump cannot keep up with sustained WOT jaunts, and that your EGT's might be through the roof. I think it is simply a testimony to the strength of these engines, but I still wouldn't play with fire. And yes, we have seen blown motors come around every now and then. Most of them just throw a rod or burn a hole through the piston...or fry a ring or two.
Just as 96 Runner said. Doesnt have to be an audible pinging to cause damage.

I, myself am playing with fire. I know its a foolish thing to do. But My buddy has had a S/C on his truck for 80k now all stock. With the same amount of pinging. But, we will see.

Anyone know if I can use the URD fuel pump with the stock injectors? Let me know
Old 10-06-2006, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevo3
Just as 96 Runner said. Doesnt have to be an audible pinging to cause damage.

I, myself am playing with fire. I know its a foolish thing to do. But My buddy has had a S/C on his truck for 80k now all stock. With the same amount of pinging. But, we will see.

Anyone know if I can use the URD fuel pump with the stock injectors? Let me know
Yep, pinging is not always an audible "knock" sound and a leanout condition at WOT makes no noise at all until after you burn a hole through your piston, so those are 2 very bad conditions for your motor that can be caused by running a S/C without fuel/timing mods and both can happen without you even being aware it is taking place.

Stevo3, yes, you can run the pump with the stock injectors no problem. You might also do a few other cheap items at the same time.....change the thermostat (170 degree) and 2 step cooler spark plugs (IK22's). Then do the injectors and the piggyback controller later when you have more cash.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Stevo3, yes, you can run the pump with the stock injectors no problem. You might also do a few other cheap items at the same time.....change the thermostat (170 degree) and 2 step cooler spark plugs (IK22's). Then do the injectors and the piggyback controller later when you have more cash.
About the Thermostat, Ive heard you get a Dramatic drop in your MPG by up to like 2 miles a gallon. Is this really true? Because this is a DD and Icant afford to suffer in more gas loss. Im doing really well with it as is, im getting inbetween 18.5 - 19.5 mpg. I know I will be losing some when I get my 33's. But. If it makes that much of a difference with a colder thermostat, im kinda hesitant on getting it. And does the same go with the spark plugs? Will they decrease my fuel milage?

If not, can you give me a part # on those plugs So I can purchase these from my local parts store? or even the dreaded Stealership :pat:
Old 10-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stevo3
About the Thermostat, Ive heard you get a Dramatic drop in your MPG by up to like 2 miles a gallon. Is this really true?
I don't think it's that bad, maybe .5 to 1 mpg. I'll tell you what does kill your mpg though, the free FMU mod. How do I know? Well, after I installed my 308cc injectors and tuned it properly with a scan tool, I un-did the free FMU mod. My first fill up netted me 17.5 mpg. I was consistently in the 15mpg range previously. I need more data to prove this is true, but let's just say that first tank involved a lot of WOT runs (to tune). I am thinking I will get even better mileage.

The free FMU mod is a must for people running stock injectors though. And when you think about what it does (ensures max fuel pressure under boost) it makes sense that the mpg goes to heck with it in place.

This simply reinforces the importance of higher flowing injectors while running the SC'r.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:07 AM

YES! Supercharge that 3.4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Usually I lay low and just read the posts but I wanted to cast a "yea" vote for supercharging that 3.4L engine. The engine loves it like no other.

I would advise upon installing the SC, install an AFR gauge simultaneously. Put the sensor bung in your header collector, (or equiv. location). You can then see if you're too lean or not.

If your mix is good throughout the range, then add a boost gauge and enjoy, (VDO makes a sweet little 0-15 PSI gauge).

If you are too lean, the URD fuel upgrade kit is about the only way to go. It will also add a few more horsies to your corral - especially if you add a SuperGrip pulley.

I did a few other things to mine as well; like ceramic coating my TRD headers, an IPT valve body trans mod (SR5 Auto), a trans cooler, and some minor air intake/exhaust goodies.

The downside for my truck is that despite MUCH tuning, there is a spot just shy of 2800 R's where my ECM pulls back my timing, (despite the FTC box) to create a short "stumble" under acceleration. I guess mine is the only case of this happening - and it seems only to potentially plague trucks with auto trans.

I hate it so much, I am removing the bulk of my URD upgrades this weekend, (all but the fuel pump) in an effort to see if I can live without them. If I can do without, I will be selling off my "removals" on eBay or something.

Anyway - I am pro-URD, and Gadget has helped me through the whole adventure. So dive on in - the water's fine.

Last edited by MJ from MD; 12-19-2006 at 07:56 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok, I said I wouldn't but S/C my 98 with 131k ???