Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OK, I need supra swap help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I need supra swap help!

Well this project is really getting away from me. I have been working on my 7mgte into 95 4Runner since like March. I am working on it in my buddy's back yard and I just don't have the proper equipment or quite all the know-how to finish, it's mostly an equipment issue. I have so far replaced the head gasket and head bolts to aftermarket (HKS & ARP) I have removed the old engine and old motor mounts and put the N/A bell housing in. AND I'M STUCK! I don't know anyone who can fabricate the new engine mounts or any of the other little things that need to be fabricated. I know that with the right tools and expertise I could be done in a couple of days! It's so frustrating!

So I implore all of the skilled and wise people on this site for help. I need a place to work and someone with the tools and expertise to get my baby running. I have all the parts needed and I can pay a bit and help out allot (with the swap as well as anything else you need as partial payment for help). If someone in Washington state (preferably close to Seattle) would like to step up and really make a good persons day, now is your chance.

Thanks in advance,
Sean
the00flaw@hotmail.com
Old 09-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Have you checked BC4x4? Yoda_Man did it and I actually met him and his truck personally. Very impressive power. He bought my '97 5spd tranny for his project. Seems the engine is the first step and then you need to upgrade the rest of the drivetrain.
This is one thread but do as search on that board, there is a lot of info floating around. Turbo supra swap

Last edited by arjan; 09-26-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:44 PM

I've been reading up on this swap until my eyes are bleeding. I have a '93 4Runner with classic piston slap I can't stand to hear.
For as many people as there are that have done it, the information on the net tends to be very lacking in some specifics and a number of posts/articles are many years old and newer methods have come to light since.
Luckily, I have a 22re with a G58 tranny (wish it was a w56) so I don't have to redo the motor mounts. Add to that, I'm staying away from the turbo. For me, it is too much extra work and hassle for power you have to wait for.
Personally, if I wanted more pony out of the 7m, I'd go with the stroker kit. I found one listed on the net that actually puts out more HP than the turbo (250 vs. 230) and no lag, heat issues, piping, oiling and all the other stuff that goes with the turbo. The 180 or 190 the stock 7m puts out is plenty for me though. I think the only performance mod I will do (if I can ever get this off the ground) will be headers and that is also largely for the benefit of slightly easier exhaust work.
Have you posted over on Pirate4x4.com? There are lots of hardcore guys over there that would likely help you out for some $ and beer
Out of curiosity, what did you torque the headbolts to? I was reading an article last night on the 7m headgasket failure and this person had purchased stock and aftermarker headbolts and sent them out for a metallurgical study. In their opinion, the torque specs from the factory are too low and should be set to 70ftlbs instead of 58ftlbs and that the OEM bolts are up to the job based on the metallurgical study. The author also said that ARP bolts are good, but recommended against using studs. Not really sure why. I suppose it could be the high torque setting required for the studs deforms the bore, but that's just a guess.
Good luck! I'll be watching this closely. Hopefully somebody can lend you a hand. Then, I'll be stumping for somebody to come out to Grand Junction and help me stuff one in mine
Old 09-26-2004, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the reply! I think I torqued the ARP bolts to 80 Lb.Ft., it was whatever the ARP instructions were. I guess I really just need to get the motor mounts fabled and in place. I hate having to drive out to Bremerton from Seattle (1Hr +) every time I want to dicker with my truck. Once the motor mounts are in I can bolt the engine in there and drag the whole project home to my back yard where I can curse at it at my leasure, at least until it gets to cold and wet anyway. I feel like I need someone with some hands on experience with this engine to give me the heads up. I don't want to get to step 15 and find out that step 3 was done wrong, that always sucks. :pat:

So my offer is still on the table $ and frothy cold home brew for the intrepid engineer who can help get my baby purring again.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:10 PM

And thanks for the heads up on Pirate. I am trying to get the nerv up to post there, some of those folks are agro!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by the00flaw
And thanks for the heads up on Pirate. I am trying to get the nerv up to post there, some of those folks are agro!
I made some engine mouts with some 1/4 steel, a grinder with a metal cutting wheel, 3 car batteries conneceted with battery cables, then some modified jumper cables. One end modified connect to the batteries, and the other end left alone to hold the electrode and ground. Worked great. Problem is, it was almost too hot. Really needed a voltage regulator. But anyway, if you don't have access to a welder, that is what you can do.

Just put the motor where you want it to be, measure, cut, tack weld, cut, and tack weld, cut and tack weld, pull motor, and finish welding.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by SuperRunner
I made some engine mouts with some 1/4 steel, a grinder with a metal cutting wheel, 3 car batteries conneceted with battery cables, then some modified jumper cables. One end modified connect to the batteries, and the other end left alone to hold the electrode and ground. Worked great. Problem is, it was almost too hot. Really needed a voltage regulator. But anyway, if you don't have access to a welder, that is what you can do.

Just put the motor where you want it to be, measure, cut, tack weld, cut, and tack weld, cut and tack weld, pull motor, and finish welding.
Wow, that's burly. I never would have thought of that. Might be somthing for me to look into though.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2004, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by SuperRunner
, 3 car batteries conneceted with battery cables, then some modified jumper cables. One end modified connect to the batteries, and the other end left alone to hold the electrode and ground. Worked great. Problem is, it was almost too hot. Really needed a voltage regulator. But anyway, if you don't have access to a welder, that is what you can do.

wow you have some big balls!

since you've done this swap... I've got two options for transmissions

1. V6 tranny with custom bellhousing (looking to you for that)

2. 2WD 22RE picup tranny

which one would make the swap easier?
Old 11-23-2004, 04:38 PM

i seen alot of stuff on the subject. i did a yahoo seach. step by step supra swap. here is a two story kinda step by step thing that mite help. http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/supraswap/
Old 11-24-2004, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Eric
wow you have some big balls!

since you've done this swap... I've got two options for transmissions

1. V6 tranny with custom bellhousing (looking to you for that)

2. 2WD 22RE picup tranny

which one would make the swap easier?
No, don't use a 2wd tranny. Use a 4wd pickup tranny. That will at least make it drivable. When you go v6 you should be able to use the same drivelines, but not sure.

I know in my truck I could do a R151F and W and G tranny's withing any modifications.