Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ok, am i overreacting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, am i overreacting?

first, i am pissed , thus the title of this thread. but i want to know if i am way out of control here: i ordered some tires through our local shop and they came in last weekend and we test fit them. i could not squeeze 'em in there, so we were looking for some other wheels this week. well, some guy came into the shop looking for mts (which, coincidentally, mine were -- you see where this is going) and he was sold my tires which i waited on for a week while they were on order! now it is not like i test fit, no fit, and ran, i have been talking w/the sales guy all week. we have been searching around; i even left the wheels and lugs there to show i was serious. i am not happy. so what is your take, am i a whiner? i do not think so...
Old 06-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ahriman
first, i am pissed , thus the title of this thread. but i want to know if i am way out of control here: i ordered some tires through our local shop and they came in last weekend and we test fit them. i could not squeeze 'em in there, so we were looking for some other wheels this week. well, some guy came into the shop looking for mts (which, coincidentally, mine were -- you see where this is going) and he was sold my tires which i waited on for a week while they were on order! now it is not like i test fit, no fit, and ran, i have been talking w/the sales guy all week. we have been searching around; i even left the wheels and lugs there to show i was serious. i am not happy. so what is your take, am i a whiner? i do not think so...

did you pay for them, or put down some money on them?
Old 06-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Confused

Sounds like the tires you ordered wouldn't fit anyway so what's the big deal? Just be glad he didn't make you pay for them when they didn't fit since you ordered them. I think you might have been meaning to say that the backspacing on your rims didn't work out so you were looking for some more to go with the tires?

Old 06-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

nope, no money down. but i should qualify this by saying that i went down to start grinding the last bits off to make 'em fit. in other words, i was headed down to the shop to put 'em on and buy them. but from what i am hearing from y'all i am overreacting a tad. maybe i will switch to decaf.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Sounds like the tires you ordered wouldn't fit anyway so what's the big deal? Just be glad he didn't make you pay for them when they didn't fit since you ordered them. I think you might have been meaning to say that the backspacing on your rims didn't work out so you were looking for some more to go with the tires?

waskilly- have you been made to pay for tires before you test fit them? that is not right. the shop should order them for a test fit first, if they do not i would go somewhere that does unless you are sure they will fit. and yes, the 16" wheels i have were bought because they have backspacing that will fit the 4th gens.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Banned

sounds like a mix up in communication between you and the shop. i think that since they knew the setup didn't fit correctly, they just figured you would go with something else ... and it sounds like you assumed that they knew you were still going to purchase them ... anyway, sounds like an honest mistake, due to a glitch in communication between both parties. nonetheless, i'm sorry that happened, i know how frustrating it is.

what will you do now?
Old 06-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4route
sounds like a mix up in communication between you and the shop. i think that since they knew the setup didn't fit correctly, they just figured you would go with something else ... and it sounds like you assumed that they knew you were still going to purchase them ... anyway, sounds like an honest mistake, due to a glitch in communication between both parties. nonetheless, i'm sorry that happened, i know how frustrating it is.

what will you do now?
i will order another set, but from who is the question. that is part of why i am posting here. you guys/girls are pretty level-headed, and i tend to be unbalanced ... so i am learning the value of getting other's opinions before running off at the mouth and embarrassing myself.

the part that mystifies me is that when the sales guy told me they were sold, he apologized up, down, left and right. why would he apologize if he did not know i wanted them?... eh, i guess i am just wanting tires and am frustrated i have to wait another week now, especially now when i know i have a setup that will work!
Old 06-12-2004, 04:22 PM

id go somewhere else for sure,& write a letter to the manager,it might get you a free allignment or something.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Banned

maybe the sales guy was surprised to see you again and realized, when he did, that you were coming back for the tires. hmm. i don't know, but it would frustrate me too. doesn't sound like they were too respectful or honest, but i guess they figured that you didn't put any money down, they didn't fit your truck, so selling them to someone else would allow them to get paid for the tires they ordered for you and didn't think they'd be able to sell you. i dunno.

so, mts ... which ones?
Old 06-12-2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

i dunno if you want to write a letter to the management, the shop ordered tires for you without getting any money from you - so then they are stuck with tires that they didn't carry in the first place (so they were probably worried that they wouldn't be able to sell them). if you put money down, or if you specifically told them that you'd be back for the tires, then you should write a letter ... but if you didn't put any money down, didn't tell them you'd be back, and said the tires didn't fit, then i really think it was a relatively honest mistake.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:44 PM

Probably just a mix-up. Another sales guy went back to check, found them untagged (since they weren't paid for) and sold them to the other guy. Then your sales guy came back and said:"WTF? What am I supposed to tell MY customer?!?!". No big deal. Like 4route said, it was cool of them to order w/ out a deposit in the first place.

C

Last edited by GV27; 06-12-2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:49 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I'm with 4route and GV27. Look at it this way (and I'm not poking sticks at you, it's just an example.) A guy special orders tires. He shows up when they come in and jeez they won't even fit his rig. The idiot makes some excuse about finding new rims and leaves. The tires shop didn't make him pay up front or when he came to pick them up because they make an extra effort to serve their customers. Someone else comes along and wants those tires so great! they sell them. Then the guy comes back and they slap their forehead and think wow, I thought that guy was long gone. So they apologise profusely.

Now, if they had told you they would fit (in other words, if THEY had sold YOU on them, then of course it's their fault if they didn't fit. BUT - based on what you said, you ordered tires that wouldn't fit - not too friggin bright - They could have made you pay for them up front and you'd now own them. What if they wouldn't fit at all, nre rims or not? See? Only knowing what you posted, I'd say be cool with these guys and give them your business. If *I* were them, I would have been unhappy with you. Sounds like their customer service concept is good.

And don't forget, it's unlikely those were that last set of those tires in existence, you can always get more. But since they sold, maybe now you can something instead that actually fits....
Old 06-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Banned

that was a little harsh, flamedx4.

the tires fit just fine, but the wheels didn't have enough backspacing to allow them to fit with those wheels ... so he tried to find new wheels, and trimmed the fenders (i think) in order to fit those tires. he didn't "order tires that wouldn't fit" ... and he isn't an idiot. it was just one of those things where he needed to try the wheels with the tires to make sure the combo worked, and it didn't, but it was the wheels he was needing to replace, not the tires.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

not quite sure where you guys are missing me, or i am not able to communicate this well, but i will try again (and btw i have cooled down so this is becoming a non-issue):

- in my opinion, and others on this forum as well, a tire shop should order tires to test fit for you w/o charge, that is just good business. would you buy a car w/o test driving it? a bed w/o lying on it 1st?

- i brought in wheels to test fit on some tires, and after a long conversation:

- i had them order a set of tires to test

- they mounted the tires and test fit, they rubbed on the body mount

- they and i believe it was the wheels that were the problem so i had them begin the search for some new wheels that i would buy from them

- i LEFT THE OLD WHEELS AND LUGS THERE W/THE TIRES MOUNTED -- this should be a LARGE indication i am serious about buying the tires

- they sold the tires out from under me w/o even calling me (they have 3 numbers for me). in other words, they took the tires off my wheels and sold them to someone else

based on what you said, you ordered tires that wouldn't fit - not too friggin bright
lot harsh dude, and you are calling a bunch of people on this forum not too bright. uncool

the thing is, no courtesy was extended aside from ordering the tires w/o deposit -- which is actually a matter of good business course moreso than extending themselves. i was demonstrably a serious customer, and they took the $ and ran.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

thanx uhom (but i am gonna hug you anyway 3==E), you got it. and they were the destination mts. take a look at this to see what i did to get 'em to fit
Old 06-13-2004, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Since you left the tires on the wheels, with the lugs. That indicates to me that you will be returning. The shop screwed up royally and you should complain to the manager about it. You might get free balancing or an alignment out of it. I would be very upset.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:02 AM

Ditto - I didn't get the part where they took them off your wheels to sell to someone else! That certainly changes things a bit!
Old 06-13-2004, 09:14 AM

NO no no, I wasn't calling Micheal or anyone else an idiot, I said that was just an example. I was trying to get him to see their possible point of view, in the extreme.

He didn't indicate originally that he left the tires still mounted on his rims. That DOES change everything. MY point was simple, based on what he said they didn't fit and he left and they sold them. That makes sense, and him getting all pissed off did not, since it seemed to be HIS error. With the additional info, then Ida been pissed at them too.

Sure most tire shops with test mount up a tire for you. Many will even order in something they don't normally stock (unless it's a really odd tire) without making you buy them up front, (but don't be surprised if they want a token fee if you then don't buy them. Negotiate out of this by promising to buy your tires there when you do decide to get some.)
Old 06-13-2004, 09:20 AM

...and I apologise, I re-read it and that did sound harsh.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Rugby10

not quite sure where you guys are missing me, or i am not able to communicate this well, but i will try again (and btw i have cooled down so this is becoming a non-issue):

- in my opinion, and others on this forum as well, a tire shop should order tires to test fit for you w/o charge, that is just good business. would you buy a car w/o test driving it? a bed w/o lying on it 1st?

- i brought in wheels to test fit on some tires, and after a long conversation:

- i had them order a set of tires to test

- they mounted the tires and test fit, they rubbed on the body mount

- they and i believe it was the wheels that were the problem so i had them begin the search for some new wheels that i would buy from them

- i LEFT THE OLD WHEELS AND LUGS THERE W/THE TIRES MOUNTED -- this should be a LARGE indication i am serious about buying the tires

- they sold the tires out from under me w/o even calling me (they have 3 numbers for me). in other words, they took the tires off my wheels and sold them to someone else

lot harsh dude, and you are calling a bunch of people on this forum not too bright. uncool

the thing is, no courtesy was extended aside from ordering the tires w/o deposit -- which is actually a matter of good business course moreso than extending themselves. i was demonstrably a serious customer, and they took the $ and ran.
Michael,

I think you are completely in the right for being pissed. I would be mad as hell. They, at the very least, owed you a courtesy call. I would do what the others suggest, in that you write a complaint to the manager. I would also ask for at least a 10% percent discount for the wait. That is the price of doing business. I say make them pay for the wait, if they want your business. Start by saying, "There are a ton of tire dealers out there..."

Good luck!

Quick Reply: ok, am i overreacting?