Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Oiling a K&N air filter?

Old 06-29-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oiling a K&N air filter?

I've had a K&N filter for a while but recently heard about the possibility of the oil messing with the MAF. So for those of you who use a K&N how sparsely do you oil the filter? Where's the fine line between ensuring the filter is adequately oiled but not too much to risk gunking up the MAF?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude just use the cleaner make it very clean ...........then just spray it more lightly than you would your wifes most expensive body spray you just want enough oil on it to trap particules and let the air seap through easy not driping wet with it
Old 06-29-2007, 01:43 PM

clean it with the soap the use a very light coat of the oil. i clean my MAF every time i clean the filter too.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by netwt12
clean it with the soap the use a very light coat of the oil. i clean my MAF every time i clean the filter too.
I've never cleaned mine, perhaps someone knows where are write-up is on cleaning the MAF?

EDIT:

I found it..

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...tenancep5.html

Last edited by rearviewmirror; 06-29-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've overoiled mine in the past, but now I only use a small amount of oil. And as a matter of fact I have my filter drying in the front yard now, washed it yesterday time to go lightly oil it
Old 06-29-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by fork
I've overoiled mine in the past, but now I only use a small amount of oil. And as a matter of fact I have my filter drying in the front yard now, washed it yesterday time to go lightly oil it
I left mine in front of a box fan on low, it dried in about 30 minutes.

Can brake cleaner be used on the MAF or should contact cleaner only be used?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:43 AM

I usually borrow my brother's K&N Air Filter Cleaner Bottle to clean my Lexus filter and follow All Safety Instructions on the Cleaner Bottle. It is recommended to utilize K&N's 32oz Pump Spray Cleaner (P/N 99-0621) when servicing large or diesel application K&N Air Filters.. First, Spray K&N Air Filter Cleaner onto both sides of the Lexus air filter until it completely saturates the pleated material.

Here is my write up of the instruction...

A. Apply K&N Air Filter Cleaner to clean side of filter.
B. Apply K&N Air Filter Cleaner to dirty side of filter.

Allow cleaner to soak into both sides of air filter for 10 minutes to loosen the dirt. Do not let cleaner dry on air filter.

Rinse off air filter with cool low-pressure water. Allow gravity to flush dirt out of air filter by applying water to the clean side of the filter; up and down the length of the pleats.

Continue to rinse the filter until all traces of cleaner are gone. If the filter is extremely dirty it may be necessary to repeat steps 1 and 2. If there are spots of dirt remaining on the filter, spray each spot directly with cleaner, allow a few minutes for it to soak and repeat rinsing step.

After rinsing, gently shake off excess water and allow filter to dry naturally. Do not proceed to the oiling step until the filter is completely dry.

CAUTION: The use of any other drying methods (I.E. Compressed Air, Dryer Heaters, Heat Guns) could damage filter.

Apply K&N Air Filter Oil liberally to the dirty side of the filter only. This will allow for a visual reference of complete coverage.

A. If using a K&N squeeze bottle, squeeze bead of oil along the crown of each pleat using the lip on the squeeze bottle tip as a guide. Utilize graduated view strip on bottle to dispense proper amount of oil.
B. If using a K&N aerosol spray, spray an even amount of oil along the crown of each pleat.

Before reinstalling filter back into vehicle, inspect it for damage. Follow any and all specific installation instructions that came with the K&N Air Filter.

CAUTION: Failure to follow the K&N installation instructions could lead to an improper seal resulting in possible engine damage. Good luck!!!!