Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

oil leak help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil leak help

I have an oil leak from the front of my 22re and Im wondering if the oil pan gasket is leaking if it will hit the fan and cover everything? I just replaced my valve cover gasket so its not leaking from there. please help.
thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like it is your front main seal. I had to replace mine, it was doing exactly what you are describing the fan was spraying it everywhere. Here is a way to test it. Remove the fan belt, so the fan isn't spraying oil. Spray cleaner and wipe off the area behind and around the main drive pulley (the pulley that all the belts attach to on the very bottom of the motor). Start the truck and look at the area behind the seal, if you see oil starting to drip or run, it is your FMS. Don't run the truck too long so you don't over heat it.

Replacing the FMS:
The front main seal is located behind the main drive pulley. Take off all of the belts and remove the drive pulley. The drive pulley can be removed by using a chain wrentch (you can rent one from a parts store, or buy one from sears etc.), or you can remove the coil wire, put the socket with a long breaker bar on the nut resting on the ground and crank the motor a couple of times to break the nut loose ( make sure your breaker bar is long enough to reach the ground, you don't want that thing spinning around in the engine bay). After removing the pulley pop out the seal on the motor and put in the new one making sure it is seated all the way. Put everything back together.
You may want to replace the sleeve that goes on the pulley as they tend to wear out also.
I got my new seal from napa, the new seal I got from the dealer was not thick enough. The one from napa matched the old one perfectly.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PirateFins
Sounds like it is your front main seal. I had to replace mine, it was doing exactly what you are describing the fan was spraying it everywhere. Here is a way to test it. Remove the fan belt, so the fan isn't spraying oil. Spray cleaner and wipe off the area behind and around the main drive pulley (the pulley that all the belts attach to on the very bottom of the motor). Start the truck and look at the area behind the seal, if you see oil starting to drip or run, it is your FMS. Don't run the truck too long so you don't over heat it.

Replacing the FMS:
The front main seal is located behind the main drive pulley. Take off all of the belts and remove the drive pulley. The drive pulley can be removed by using a chain wrentch (you can rent one from a parts store, or buy one from sears etc.), or you can remove the coil wire, put the socket with a long breaker bar on the nut resting on the ground and crank the motor a couple of times to break the nut loose ( make sure your breaker bar is long enough to reach the ground, you don't want that thing spinning around in the engine bay). After removing the pulley pop out the seal on the motor and put in the new one making sure it is seated all the way. Put everything back together.
You may want to replace the sleeve that goes on the pulley as they tend to wear out also.
I got my new seal from napa, the new seal I got from the dealer was not thick enough. The one from napa matched the old one perfectly.

Hope that helps.
thanks ill have to check that out cause the oil is driving me to