Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Oil in intake and all over air filter!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil in intake and all over air filter!

I just put new head gaskets in my wifes 97 4runner 3.4 and Im still having the smoking when starting (the original reason i replaced the head gaskets, was thought to have a small hole)
Anyways....When i took the plastic air tube that runs from the filter box to the throttle body i noticed the small "J" noise canceler was FULL of oil! so i checked the air filtter and the bottom 3" was wet and acttually dripping from the air box!l. When i looked into the TB and opened the butterfly there was a puddle of oil! I susspect that to be the source of the smoke, Any ideas how that much oil could get in the air box? the truck runs fine idles great and does not smoke when driving or sitting at lights.

Any one had this happen to them...Even if the PCV valve is bad (which ill replace in the morning), that much oil couldnt blow by unless a cam is out of place, right? but the truck runs good, and i just verifed the tiny dot markings on the cams were in right position this weekend.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:33 PM

Did you do a compression check? Oil in the intake system can be the result of worn piston rings, which allows too much blow-by--pressurizing the crankcase.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:07 PM

hmmm...I see that could be blowing A LOT of pressure into the crankcase which would blowby into the heads, i will have to check that this weekend
thanks ill check that out and let every one know.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surphrat420
hmmm...I see that could be blowing A LOT of pressure into the crankcase which would blowby into the heads, i will have to check that this weekend
thanks ill check that out and let every one know.
You should put a vacuum guage on the PCV and measure the vacuum. If the crankcase is being pressurized it will show up right away. Also do replace the PCV anyway, but that will not stop and overpressure problem.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:16 PM

I checked vacuum on the intake manifold and it pulled around 17psi at idle and was steady. there was niether vacuum nor pressure at the camcase (through the PCV hole)
I cant make any sense of this. It only smokes on start up, So i guess its time to pull the heads off again! and send them to head exchange to get new valves.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:27 PM

I once had this problem on my ford which had aftermarket valve covers. the oil would get sucked right up the pcv and it would easily burn a quart of oil a day.

so

A. do you have aftermarket valve covers (unlikely)
B. how long has the car been lsmoking? over time i am sure the oil will puddle if it is allowed.

i would clean the intake and change the pcv and see how it goes.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:11 AM

no the covers are stock....its been smoking ever since we got it (6 months)
I just changed the PCV so well see...Ill be back......
Old 01-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

I checked vacuum on the intake manifold and it pulled around 17psi at idle and was steady. there was niether vacuum nor pressure at the camcase (through the PCV hole)
I cant make any sense of this. It only smokes on start up, So i guess its time to pull the heads off again! and send them to head exchange to get new valves.
Did you put these headgaskets in yourself or have someone else do them?
Are you sure they are in correctly (ie they are not in upside down)?
Old 01-08-2006, 06:39 PM

Yeah i put them in my self, they were marked left and right, I think i put the one marked right on the passenger side, and they only fit on one way (the dowels will only line up one way) and im sure i double checked the passagess before it went back together
Old 01-10-2006, 08:14 PM

Well on monday I replaced the PCV valve, evne though the old one rattled just like the new one i changed it anyways. then I hesitated and eagerly awaited the next morning, after driving the runner around all afternoon. well in the morning NO smoke! then the 4runner went of to work and sat for a good 8 hrs (usually enough time to make her smoke like a smoke machine in a haunted house) but still NO SMOKE! Well ,same results today no smoke at all! I just know now that ive posted this great news , it will smoke in the morning but well see.....
Old 01-11-2006, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

Well on monday I replaced the PCV valve, evne though the old one rattled just like the new one i changed it anyways. then I hesitated and eagerly awaited the next morning, after driving the runner around all afternoon. well in the morning NO smoke! then the 4runner went of to work and sat for a good 8 hrs (usually enough time to make her smoke like a smoke machine in a haunted house) but still NO SMOKE! Well ,same results today no smoke at all! I just know now that ive posted this great news , it will smoke in the morning but well see.....
Just checking to see if the ball rattles is not a good test for the PCV. The ball can get covered in hardened oil deposits which make it unable to seal (after all it is just a simple check valve), yet the ball still rattles. It is a cheap item and best to replace it to ensure proper function.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:22 AM

Well the wifey just left for work and once again NO SMOKE! after changing the PCV valve the 4rnuuner on monday we have not seen ANY SMOKE! Damn i wish i changed that valve before tearing the whole damn thing apart. I hope this is the end to the smoke, It must have been the intake somehow was sucking A LOT of oit in to the intake and while the car sat it found its way down the intake, or maybe just sat and pooled there until she started back up again....OR its the freemasons illuminaty trying to keep me tied up reapiring the 4runner so i would be less involved with beringing down the new wolrd order! heheeeeheee

Thanks for every ones help...Well i call this case closed! but i will be sure to return if the smoke does!

BTW i just heard someone talk about the denver airport and the freemasons...google it , VERY intersting what some people belive