Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Off-roading in a 2.7 4cyl 2wd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off-roading in a 2.7 4cyl 2wd?

Is it possible?? The truck is lifted 6" suspension and 2" body lift. It has 33x14 swammpers and gearing. its a 2000 tacoma prerunner. it has the TRD off-road package. Will i be okay if i go off road? Nothing insane. I live in hawaii and all the good fishing spots you gotta do some off-roading. mostly mud, sand, and at the most some medium size rocks. Just wanted to hear what you guys think cause some of you guys seem to know a lot about toyotas. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

E komo mai!
Welcome to the forums, and aloha! As long as you have the locker, you can do some fairly burly stuff. I have locker and 4wd, and lot of times, I just engage the locker and that gets me through what I want. Keep in mind, that you don't have 4wd, so just think it through before you head into the mud (that famous Hawaiian mud... ahhh). I suggest that you ease into taking offroad. Try a few things, then get braver as you learn what your truck is capable of!

Pomaika 'i !

Old 03-10-2006, 09:22 AM

thanks for the info tacoclimber. Are u from hawaii??
Old 03-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by trd_kid84
thanks for the info tacoclimber. Are u from hawaii??

No, but I had good friend I surfed with that was, and he taught me a few Hawaiian phrases... More importantly, I learned what "aloha" was. One of these days, I'm hoping to finally get to the Islands. It's tough to be an ocean lover, stuck out in the desert... But all in God's time... Aloha!
Old 03-10-2006, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can do it, the locker will get you far...for a two wheel drive. Basically, work up to harder stuff, but make sure to bring a come-along and tow strap etc, just in case.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
No, but I had good friend I surfed with that was, and he taught me a few Hawaiian phrases... More importantly, I learned what "aloha" was. One of these days, I'm hoping to finally get to the Islands. It's tough to be an ocean lover, stuck out in the desert... But all in God's time... Aloha!
Yeah that must be pretty tough not being able to go to the beach. But i bet there is a lot of good places to ride dirt bike in the desert. " But all in God's time" you a christian??
Old 03-10-2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
You can do it, the locker will get you far...for a two wheel drive. Basically, work up to harder stuff, but make sure to bring a come-along and tow strap etc, just in case.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah that must be pretty tough not being able to go to the beach. But i bet there is a lot of good places to ride dirt bike in the desert. " But all in God's time" you a christian??

Yeah, I am a Beleiver, you? There is definitely lots of room to ride the bikes... The desert's not so bad, but if I wasn't able to get to ocean once in a while, I'd go nuts. But this where the Lord's got me, so I'm happy.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:11 AM

Yeah, I am a Beleiver, you? There is definitely lots of room to ride the bikes... The desert's not so bad, but if I wasn't able to get to ocean once in a while, I'd go nuts. But this where the Lord's got me, so I'm happy.
yeah im a Christian. The cops keep shutting down all the places people ride dirt bikes here. So all we got for now is the race track. I'll be praying for you that maybe one day God will bring to the islands bro.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

yeah im a Christian. The cops keep shutting down all the places people ride dirt bikes here. So all we got for now is the race track. I'll be praying for you that maybe one day God will bring to the islands bro.

That's a bummer they're shutting you guys down. We're starting to expereince it out here, too, with developments buying up a lot of land at a time and then making it "private property". Its kinda lame. But the good thing is that the desert's pretty big...they can't take up all of it, at least for a while.

One of the many things I would love to do in Hawaii is mountainboard there. I've been riding for a few years now, and all the footage of Akoni Kama and the others shredding in that red dirt is just sick! It's way rocky here down here near the river, you get thrashed pretty much every time you ride. But that sweet red dirt... Aww... I gotta stop thinking about it!
Old 03-10-2006, 12:06 PM

That's a bummer they're shutting you guys down. We're starting to expereince it out here, too, with developments buying up a lot of land at a time and then making it "private property". Its kinda lame. But the good thing is that the desert's pretty big...they can't take up all of it, at least for a while.

One of the many things I would love to do in Hawaii is mountainboard there. I've been riding for a few years now, and all the footage of Akoni Kama and the others shredding in that red dirt is just sick! It's way rocky here down here near the river, you get thrashed pretty much every time you ride. But that sweet red dirt... Aww... I gotta stop thinking about it!
mountianboarding. never really heard of that. i'll check that out.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll be fine with a 2wd, just use your common sense and resist the urge to "see if I can do it." Like everyone says, just try and learn the basic and work your way up. See what works and experience it, then go about changing a few things to improve your offroading skills. I have a friend who is driving a bone stock 2wd S-10 truck and he goes some places that scare me in 4wd, but he knows the limitations of his truck and doesn't try anything stupid. Granted I've pulled him out of a few stuck moments but not as often as kids who are just learning to drive and have 4wd. I used to be one of them but you learn over time. Have fun and be safe!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
You'll be fine with a 2wd, just use your common sense and resist the urge to "see if I can do it." Like everyone says, just try and learn the basic and work your way up. See what works and experience it, then go about changing a few things to improve your offroading skills. I have a friend who is driving a bone stock 2wd S-10 truck and he goes some places that scare me in 4wd, but he knows the limitations of his truck and doesn't try anything stupid. Granted I've pulled him out of a few stuck moments but not as often as kids who are just learning to drive and have 4wd. I used to be one of them but you learn over time. Have fun and be safe!
Thanks for the info. I feel alittle more confident with everyones input.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

never wheel alone...make sure that you have somebody that can get you out if you're seeing what your truck can do.