Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

off road lights quiry

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
off road lights quiry

If you guys had the choice in buying off road lights. Which would you buy? And how much would they cost. And why would you choose the particular lights?
Old 05-29-2003, 01:16 AM

I have the Explorer Pro Comps and am very happy with them.

Thge only change I would make would be to get the Stainless instead of the chrome which I have to keep polishing or they rust. Also the Stainless are not as deep and would have given me more mounting options.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:17 AM

I have been more than satisfied with the build quality and performance of my IPF 800s - every part of them from the switch out to the bulb and mounting are TOP quality, but they are BIG though and I've found they restrict airflow across my radiator core so I'm going to move them - just haven't decided where yet - maybe the roof!
Old 05-29-2003, 04:06 AM

Hellas - built well, perform well, relatively cheap. I've got 3 sets (6 lights) of Hella 500s, and one set (2 lights) of Hella 4000s. Actual cost will depend on what light you buy and where you purchase it from. The 500s can generally be had for about $70 for the pair.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

I run two pairs of lights. Warn 510s (spots) and 520s (floods). Stainless steel, very durable, and not too expensive. I've had em for a few years and they have never let me down. I have the 55 watt floods on the bumper for a wide pattern and the 100 watt spots on the roof rack for a distance beam. They light up the trails very well.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

I think I'm going to go with the Hellas mentioned above when I get lit up! Two fogs on the TJM and two or three Driving on the Load Worrior. Then some tractor lights on the rear of the Loadworrior for extra backup lighting
Old 05-29-2003, 06:44 AM

you all are going to hate me for saying this but, I'm going to be running KC Daylighters. I got four 4x6 daylighters and three 6" rounds for free. I love them and I've have had no problems with them as of yet.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:50 AM

Personally, after experience of the Hella 500s and 550s build quality, I much prefer my IPFs, the WARNs above look great quality as well but, and its a big but, if you smash them off road they are cheap and easy to replace.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:50 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have had great luck also with my two sets of Hella 500s.
You can also get clear covers for them which you can leave on forever.
The covers have been on almost since the beginning.

http://catalog.com/susq/hella/clr01.htm

I paid less than $70 each time I bought a set of these.
Old 05-29-2003, 06:52 AM

I've always run KCs in the past w/ no problems. The Hellas do seem to be a bit better built just looking at them and I'll probably go with them for my new truck - but again I've had no compalint w/ the KCs. I've never seen a good reason to spend the big-bucks on PIAAs.

Chris
Old 05-29-2003, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Off road lights

My choice if size (airflow restrictions on the Diesel) wasn't and issue would be Cibie or KC. Both of these I've used and they are superb with great build quality.

I've taken off my Bull bar which came with the factory fit Bosch fog lamps because of airflow and the fact that the Bosch lamps are less use than a torch. I added some Ring driving lamps on the bull bar and I am going to refit these in the under bumper aperture (just rigging up some brackets for it). I'm going fit some fog lamps probably in the area of the recesses under the bumper lamps. I 'm going to cut out these recesses and fit appropriate lamps in there and fill in the space left with some mesh grill appropriately fitted. They should be safe there and look relatively stock.

The Ring lamps are really bad build quality but for the size they actually have a great output even with only 55watt bulbs.

Cheers
Old 05-29-2003, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

I have one set of Hella's currently - the FF 1000's. I love'em. I'd like to get more when I put a basket on top.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:10 AM

Thanks guys. Now if these lights were enclosed in a nonbreakable enclosure. Just on the actual light quality as in candle power and clarity.Which would you choose. Do all the lights(floods) light up the trail or track the same? Do they have a bad transition between light and dark?
Old 05-29-2003, 07:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If you want a light that can stand up to a 22 shell hitting it, then these are for you.
http://www.lightforce.com/

They make 3 sizes.
Todd has the 140s on his 4Runner.

I would get the 170s for mine, as they are just slightly bigger than my Hella 500s.
http://www.lightforceusa.com/rmdl170.html

They also have a rotating lens on them that works the same way as a Maglite to focus your beam.
Clear covers and colored covers can be had for these.

Here are Todd's on his 1st gen.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/runs/41203/15.jpg

http://www.pnw4runners.com/runs/41203/3.jpg

He has the fog covers on them in the pics.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

What is the difference between the fog and driving light? The Hella 500's come in both options.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a simplified diagram from KC's site:

Old 05-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

So what is everybody running? Fog or driving lights? It seems like fog might be more useful since I don't drive at high speeds off road to justify the extra throw of the driving light. Please enlighten me. Thx.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Fog or driving lights

Fogs not only have a wider throw of light but also a lower beam. They are meant to work in Fog whereas Main beam or driving lights just reflect back off the fog at you and make things worse.

Depends what kind of off road you are going to do, bad weather means fog lights dark means driving and or spots.

Personally I'd fit some on the roof rack for off roading and hve 2 of each - fogs on the outside and driving (rather than spots which have a pencil beam) on the inside.

That would be my choice.

I use my driving lights (when I put them back on again) to automatically come on with main beam. Most standard headlamps are pretty awfull when it comes to it. You would be amazed at the difference when you fit driving lamps.

I only rarely use fog lamps as in actual fact they only make much difference when it's dark and foggy, during the day then they make no difference at all. Mind you they are an extra bit of visibility for people coming towards you so maybe they are some use after all.

Cheers
Old 05-29-2003, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

My vote is for the LightForce. I really want to get a set of these at some point in time, but for now the KC's will have to do. Lights are fairly low on my priority list. If you look at the specs and construction of the lightforce, and the design of the reflectors, it seems an obvious choice short of HID's like the Predator and such.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

Silly question- are the driving lights actually legal to use for street driving due to their output, or can they only be used off-road? I would think I'd blind alot of people driving around Seattle.

Quick Reply: off road lights quiry