Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OEM leather steering wheel peelin' off

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM leather steering wheel peelin' off

My '98 4runner steering wheel is slowly peeling off in places. Anyone know of a nice aftermarket cover that doesn't look cheap? Thanks, Colin
Old 08-08-2004, 06:43 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by amacsdad
My '98 4runner steering wheel is slowly peeling off in places. Anyone know of a nice aftermarket cover that doesn't look cheap? Thanks, Colin
First off, welcome to yotatech! If you use the search button at the top of the page Im sure you can find all the Info you need.

Craig.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, you can't search it. I've searched. Toyota doesn't make one. You have to take it to a upolsterer and get it custom covered...

I'm working on getting a batch make in the oak color and doing a group buy. Anybody interested in one that is EXACTLY like the original for about $60 shipped each?
Old 08-08-2004, 07:10 PM

www.wheelskins.com

Last edited by CAM 1; 08-08-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
I'm working on getting a batch make in the oak color and doing a group buy. Anybody interested in one that is EXACTLY like the original for about $60 shipped each?
I'm in (for a 98). Mine is thrashed. The wheel skins wont work for me 'cause the spoke part is all trashed too.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:27 AM
Banned

same for me. I have a wheelskins in my garage that I won't be putting on. It doesn't cover the spokes.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Carnage

This is something I've been meaning to do for a while, thanks for reminding me. Here's some pics of the damage.

Old 08-09-2004, 05:52 AM
Banned

The group buy that I'm working on would be JUST like the original... You'd get the custom cut skin and the kit to sew it on yourself (pre-cut holes). It would be leather, dyed to match your wheel, and would cover the spokes properly just like the OEM one that Toyota doesn't sell. the instruction would tell you how to to the "baseball stitch" like the OEM one.

Looks like the price will be about $60 shipped - maybe less. So far, it's me and maybe a couple others... Any other interest. The more purchased, the lower the price will drop...

Last edited by bamachem; 08-09-2004 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:53 AM

Any chances for the grey one like you are getting made?
Old 08-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Banned

Here's the colors available. Black is a little cheaper than the rest...

Last edited by bamachem; 08-09-2004 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:54 PM

Here's the colors available. Black is a little cheaper than the rest...

Do you have a pic of one of them?
Old 08-11-2004, 06:58 PM

The group buy that I'm working on would be JUST like the original... You'd get the custom cut skin and the kit to sew it on yourself (pre-cut holes). It would be leather, dyed to match your wheel, and would cover the spokes properly just like the OEM one that Toyota doesn't sell. the instruction would tell you how to to the "baseball stitch" like the OEM one.

Looks like the price will be about $60 shipped - maybe less. So far, it's me and maybe a couple others... Any other interest. The more purchased, the lower the price will drop...
Mine's smoked, I'm in. Gotta go practice sewing.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:03 PM
lee
Contributing Member

so these are lexus steering wraps?
Old 08-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

I would be interested...
Old 08-12-2004, 12:11 AM

I put on a wheelskins in black just as it was starting to get bad. It looks great...my spokes weren't damaged. If I were to get one of these kits, I would still put a wheelskins on it just for resale value...or keep it just incase I want to sell the 3rd gen later.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:20 AM
Banned

Lexus and toyota have the same wheel covers. Normal price is about $70 + shipping. If we get 5 of us together, we can save 20%, so that puts it at $56 + shipping. The order has to be paid in full at the time it's placed, so when we get this squared away and I get more details and some pics of finished products, then I'll get you guys to paypal me the money and then I'll place the order. Turnaround should be about a week or so, so about 10-12 days after you pay, you'll get the kit in the mail.

So far, it's:

bamachem (me) - brown
Mossback74 - brown
SuperRunner98 - brown
SkyRat - brown

Any other takers?
Old 08-12-2004, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Lexus and toyota have the same wheel covers. Normal price is about $70 + shipping. If we get 5 of us together, we can save 20%, so that puts it at $56 + shipping. The order has to be paid in full at the time it's placed, so when we get this squared away and I get more details and some pics of finished products, then I'll get you guys to paypal me the money and then I'll place the order. Turnaround should be about a week or so, so about 10-12 days after you pay, you'll get the kit in the mail.

So far, it's:

bamachem (me) - brown
Mossback74 - brown
SuperRunner98 - brown
SkyRat - brown

Any other takers?
Andy,
Does the installation of the cover require the removal of the original skin (I assume so)? Does the new leather have some texture to it, as my original one is polished smooth and looking fairly worn. I may be interested in a black version. If you can get an installed pic, or even a closeup of the leather used, that would be great!

Andreas (Andy with a few more letters)
Old 08-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Banned

The original skin comes off (use a razor blade and cut the stitching). From what I can tell, the new leather has some very mild natural texture to it. I'm working on some additional pics and firm pricing (for group buy) this morning. I'll know more HOPEFULLY later today.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:51 AM
Banned

Allright, more info:

I have to take my cover off and send it to them and they will CUSTOM make our covers to fit and match PERFECTLY - guaranteed.

They have a base price plus some adders. Discount are only on the base price and NOT on the adders. Colors other than black cost more. Pre-Stitching is $15 more. Pre-Stitching is when they loop the threads through all the holes on each side. You simply loop a single line through all the loops to bind them together then tighten the loops and tie them off to hold them. They said this is the way toyota/lexus does it, and would match the stitching perfectly.

Brown is used in the example below, but any color (grey, red, blue, green, etc) other than black is the same price.

So,

Brown, Pre-Stitched, you're looking at about $80
Brown, non-Stitched, you're looking at $65
Black, Pre-Stitched, you're looking at $70
Black, non-Stitched, you're looking at $55

Those prices would include shipping. I would have to place the single order and then once I got them, I would ship them out. This is a one-time deal, so if you want in, you have to pony up the cash up front cause I'm not a bank and I don't do financing. I take CC payments vai paypal (prefer it for ease of use and quickness), but you cover the fees.

If you're DEFINITELY IN, then post it on the NEW GROUP BUY thread. Either you want to pony up the $$$ to do it or you don't...

Last edited by bamachem; 08-12-2004 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:18 AM

I hate to bring up such an old thread but do you guys have any pics of the finished product? How well has it held up? I am planning on ordering mine as soon as I get the color sample.

Thansk

Quick Reply: OEM leather steering wheel peelin' off