Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OEM Head gaskets or other? Is there an OEM kit available?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Head gaskets or other? Is there an OEM kit available?

Long time lurker first time poster. Thank you all for taking the time to share your experience with us DIY'ers.

In the process of tearing down the front end and heads of my 3.4 5vzfe. Is a 96 and has 229K. I will post a few pics later this week. For the miles and dino, is very clean! I purchased it with 212K, was a one owner. He was the service manager of a Toyota Dealership in the Dallas area and the truck was very well cared for. Has never had head gasket changed to my knowledge.

Started it Wed. afternoon at work and it was missing. Drove it about 10 miles home. I thought it was a bad wire or something. Check engine light came on about 6 miles in. Started it the next morning to drive back to work and it blew white smoke until it was good and hot. Engine never did get above normal operating temperature based on the dash temp guage.

Work at a HS that has an auto shop class. Had the shop teacher look at it. Pulled the plugs and put pressure test on it. #3 cyl. filled up. Hoping just a head gasket.

Worked about 3 hours today and front end is apart down to harmonic balancer. Valve covers are off, manifolds loose, and intake apart.

My question... finally.... is based on the research I have done there are mixed reviews on what head gasket should be used. I typically go with OEM on our Volvos. Neither of them like aftermarket parts typically.

Only reference to a complete kit on several forums is 04112-62071 "Top end rebuild kit". When searching this part number none of the sites list what is included. Do many use this kit, or do most build their own? If so, is there a list of parts I will need somewhere on here in an old post? I have searched, and did not turn up much for the heads and top end. Is there a sponsor here most buy their OEM parts from?

WP/Timing Belt kit I will go with the all OEM from AirCabinMan off ebay. Should I look elsewhere?

Plan to leave this stock. Its a 3rd vehicle, but want to fix it right. We plan to keep it until it "just aint worth fixin". If this work is done right and use quality parts we should get many year of service out her.

Once again, thank you in advance for your help.

Brad
Beaufort, NC

Last edited by blandis; 09-14-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The top end kit is exactly what you need. It has the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, intake, exhaust, etc etc etc. Everything you will need when doing the upper end. If you google 04112-62071, google images will show you what all is included. Make sure you get it from TOYOTA. Don't get it from Ebay, they are selling AFTERMARKET kits using the OEM part number as a "reference" number. You will have problems in the long run with those.

As for the WP/Timing kit, make sure its an Aisin pump, and Mitsuboshi (or Denso) timing belt.

Last edited by DeathCougar; 09-15-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:56 PM

Death, appreciate the post. Will only buy oem. Will purchase from a dealer. May get the tb/wp kit from ebay as several members here have had good luck with a few ebay sellers. Is down to the heads. At the point where you use the bolt in the cam gears. Have to read more and get the cams off, and the heads unbolted.
Will have it apart this weekend. I will post back with an update.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by blandis
Death, appreciate the post. Will only buy oem. Will purchase from a dealer. May get the tb/wp kit from ebay as several members here have had good luck with a few ebay sellers. Is down to the heads. At the point where you use the bolt in the cam gears. Have to read more and get the cams off, and the heads unbolted. <br />
Will have it apart this weekend. I will post back with an update.
<br />
<br />
try to order your parts from Camelback Toyota. best deals online.