Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Odd front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd front end noise

I have this really strange front end noise. Every single time I turn on my car and start driving, you hear this weird noise, and it kind of vibrates. Doesn't matter how many times I turn the car off it does it. I can't really explain the noise cause its kind of hard to explain. But I think its in the tires area. Its like a rubbing noise or like something is around the wheel and its like waking up. It vibrates under your feet. Its like it needs to be WD40 if that helps. Wow, its really hard to explain. It only seems to be on the right side too. Someone said it sounded like my 4x4 was loading er something like that. You can also hear it when your on the outside of the car.

Old 07-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

It is a screeching sound? Is it only on one wheel? If so, one of your pads is off inside the caliper.

Last edited by Tanto; 07-12-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

How do your CV boots look? Is it only after a fresh start (ie, overnight...I'm getting at overnight rust on your rotors..)?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:19 PM

Not a screeching sound, more like a rubbing sound.

CV boots and everything looks good. Its like everytime I turn off the car. I can turn it on, drive it will do it, turn it off for a second, turn it back on and drive again and it will continue everytime I turn it on. Doesn't matter if I've been driving a minute or 2 hours. We thought it was these bushing thingys and it isn't.

My Dad said it might be a front, dog bone mount for the trans axel... What that is, I have NO clue.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Amby
My Dad said it might be a front, dog bone mount for the trans axel... What that is, I have NO clue.

ummm... ok

you won't find a transaxle anywhere on a 4runner...
Old 07-12-2006, 07:53 PM

Ok, maybe I heard him wrong...
Old 07-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

You sure it isn't the ABS system getting "primed?" Sorry if I misunderstood your description(s), but that is the first thing that came to mind. Turn the key to the "ON" position and you will hear a groan after 5 - 10 seconds. Just curious if that might be it.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the problem only occur when the car is moving, or does it happen when you are stopped too? If only when moving, I'd say check the brakes... possibly the bearings. Does the sound tend to follow the rpms of your engine, or your speed?

If not, ABS or AC vibrations maybe? Unbalanced fan?
Old 07-13-2006, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with 96 4runner. Just turn the key to ON and see if it groans. Its almost a conveyer belt type noise. Its normal, and has something to do with ABS?
Old 07-13-2006, 07:22 AM

It won't make the noise unless I start moving. And its always RIGHT after I turn it on and put it into drive. I can leave the car on and park then drive again and it won't. I can turn the car on, go in reverse and it won't until I put it back in drive. It always makes the noise within a foot or less of moving. Its really quite loud and it feels like its RIGHT under the passengers feet. People get kind of freaked and when they ask me and I say I don't know they get a little weird. Heh.

Erm, it doesn't sound like a belt noise, more like a rod thats kind of rusted and its making a grinding noise when you try to move it. Best way I can kind of describe it. I want to take it to the dealer but its not affecting the way I drive, or at least I don't think it is. Plus my father owns an auto shop. Heh, everything he thought it was wasn't. I thought maybe someone else had this problem. Maybe I can record the noise on my digital camera and put it on here.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Only in drive....well you could always just drive everywhere in reverse. Sounds like it wouldnt be brakes, or even bushings really, if its only in drive...you can move in reverse and no noise....put it in nuetral, and push it, see if it makes the noise, that way you can see if its something thats rolling, or if it might be something in the tranny, or Drive, itself. worth a shot.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Amby
It won't make the noise unless I start moving. And its always RIGHT after I turn it on and put it into drive. I can leave the car on and park then drive again and it won't. I can turn the car on, go in reverse and it won't until I put it back in drive. It always makes the noise within a foot or less of moving.

Based on these symptoms, I would guess brakes, probably front left. have you inspected for any damage or just done guessing so far? If it doesn't happen in reverse, that tells me there is something loose or stuck in there, and depending on which way the rotor is turning it will create a grinding sound. Also, pressing the brake when you stop and start again might align things properly and help alleviate the problem for a while...

Look at the brakes, and also try the pushing your car in neutral to see if it does the same thing then.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:02 AM

Well my 4x4 and drive gear thingys move when I'm driving. But they said thats normal...

I had my brakes looked at but that doesn't mean they could of over looked it. I will make them look again. Heh. I will try the neutral thing. I can't push my car but there is a hill infront of my house, I will go play on that.

I just thought of something... Would the 4x4 maybe be making that noise? Even though its out could it maybe stuck/loose? It is hard to get it into gear sometimes...
Old 07-14-2006, 04:57 PM

I put it in neutral and went down the hill and it didn't do the noise. It only seems to be when I turn it on. Oh and its over on the drivers side too. I don't think I mentioned that before. Its coming from the right though.

Once I pay some bills and get my taxes back I will take it to the dealer and see if they can figure it out. I just did my taxes yesterday... I'm not late. HA! I didn't get into trouble though so its all good.

If anyone has anymore ideas about the noise, post it here or message me.
Old 07-14-2006, 05:59 PM

what year is your truck and is it auto or manual tranny
i dont know much about newer trucks but i know that some 4x4 systems run on a vacuum and if you have a slight leak that it can engage you lockout a bit
also check you front break piston mack sure that the rubber boot or seal is not broken if it rusts a bit it will stick i had a problem on a ford like that . if that is the case change out both frount brake cylinders i did not and cost me a lot more when the older one failed.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Jack up the rear wheels and support them with jackstands. Turn on the 4Runner and put it drive. Does it still do it?
My 98 makes the noise while on the jackstands. Almost like the drive train is unbinding or something.

It's just like you say though; put it drive, go 5 feet and it'll happen. It's a sounds like something rubs on the frame once and then goes away.

Since I bought it last Sept. I've lubed the u-joints, changed the rear end fluid to Amsoil, replaced the rear brake shoes, tuned it, put in a new fuel filter, had the brakes serviced for the infamous vibration. Drove down dirt roads in 4 high to lube all the 4x4 parts. Nothing has made any change....

Mine just hit 99,800 miles today, maybe when it hits 100,000 it'll go away
Old 07-14-2006, 07:12 PM

the infamous brake vibration is the rotors being too small and warping...

could it be the driveshaft needing to be lubed, causing slack in the drivetrain to suddenly be popped out and making the trans mounts and other mounts creak or grind?
Old 07-15-2006, 08:14 PM

Its a '98 SR5 4x4, AUTO.

Nothing seems to be leaking or making any other noise. Just that, everyday, anytime I start it. LOL!

I will have my father jack it up and see if it does it then. Seems to be more of a front end noise but sometimes its in odd places and is else where.

Mines at 101k miles now. I bought it when it had 99k and that was in May...
Old 07-17-2006, 02:32 PM

I am having the same problem as amby with my 99 4runner. It is a distinct rubbing sound that increases or deacreases with how fast I am traveling.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:56 PM

Mine only does it once and for 5 seconds.

My poor 4Runner... someone tried breaking into it today and screwed up my window... My tires keep loosing air. Says the rear only has 10 pounds in it but it never seems to GAIN air. We put that tire seal in the inside so I don't know whats going on.

Good news though. I'm buying a Jet Ski. Don't know what kind yet. Looking at the 4 stroke 3 seaters. I flipped a 2 seater on Saturday too many times. Any suggestions anyone? I know NOTHING of these things. Our friends buying 2 and we are buying 1.

Quick Reply: Odd front end noise