Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Odd drivetrain problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd drivetrain problem...

I just got this 4Runner and now it seems to be having a problem. Sometimes when I put it into drive, it feels like the transmission isn't fully engaged. If I give it a bit of gas I hear a loud 'thud' like the transmission just shifted into drive then it lurches forward and drives fine. This only seems to happen when it's cold, as I haven't noticed it after it warmed up, and it's only when first starting out from either park or reverse. Any ideas?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:15 PM

Fluid low or need changing would be my first guess.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 AM

Sounds like either low fluid or the linkage is off. First check the fluid level though. If that is not the case, then search this forum for shift linkage and you will find out an easy trick for adjusting it. It looks way simple to do.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:02 PM

Fluid level is good and the fluid looks great. When I was reading a thread about a problem similar to mine, a guy discovered his rear brake(s) and/or ebrake were hanging. He too, thought it was the transmission. I drove quite a bit today, including waiting in line on a decending ramp in a parking garage. With my foot on the brake, in drive, when I let off I could feel the problem I described, with no gas at all. That leads me to believe that it does indeed have to do with the rear brakes. Tonight my girlfriend and I went to UPS and it did it when we first left the apartment. We both agreed, it felt like it was coming from the rear of the vehicle. Is this a common/fairly common/known problem?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think there is a TSB regarding delayed engagement. Call toyota and ask about the TSB or do some internet research. It calls for some upgraded internals. hopefully your trans isn't baked
Old 01-10-2008, 09:31 PM

How is it when normal driving, during braking and acceleration from a stop. Do you feel a bump almost? If so, get some grease in your zerks in your drivetrain
Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 PM

I just bought it a week ago, so I imagine this problem has been present all along. That said, I don't know what one without the problem feels like, so I have nothing to compare it to. It almost feels like something is holding me back when I try to accelerate, but I would think if that were the case the friction would cause heat which would cause an odor I'd notice when I got out of the vehicle. It seems to brake well, and when I had the pre-purchase inspection done they said the brakes were 40% in the front and 60% in the rear (though I honestly don't trust the dealer enough to expect them to have done a very good job inspecting). The *only* time I really feel the problem is when starting off from a stop. Like I said, if it were the transmission I would think it would happen when I apply the gas when I'm on a downward slope, but it actually happens when I let off the brake (indicating it's probably not the transmission). The transmission doesn't shift into neutral every time you come to a stop, does it? If not, then during city driving (30mph) I would imagine I'd still be in first? If that's the case, then when the problem occurs the transmission wouldn't be shifting at all.

It feels like when I give it gas, I can feel a hesitation, the vehicle doesn't move, then there's a sudden jerk (when I gradually apply more throttle) and the vehicle moves. It almost feels like a line-lock in a drag car.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:43 PM

Oh, and what are zerk fittings?

*edit* Just joking, Google is my friend Where can I find them and how many are there? or are they obvious?

Last edited by Joey Link; 01-10-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 AM

On the driveshaft there should be 2 at the back end near the rear axle. One for the u joint and one for the slip yoke. There will be 3 (I think) at the front of the driveshaft near the transmission output flange as well. If you search the forum, I know someone has put up pics/diagrams of exactly where they are.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Joey Link
Oh, and what are zerk fittings?

*edit* Just joking, Google is my friend Where can I find them and how many are there? or are they obvious?
Lubing Your Driveshaft