Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OBD II scanner for Toyotas

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD II scanner for Toyotas

Just got the two service manuals for my 2004 SR5 4Runner and found out the first one is all diagnostics. I started searching for an OBD II scanner but haven't found one that will do all the manufacturer specifics that the manual shows. Is anybody using one and if so what brand/model? I downloaded a demo for my Palm but it only does the P codes and not the C's/B's. Currently I'm trying to figure out the tire sensors and it appears I can get the pressure and temp from the ECU but they're C's.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Spyder,

This is a reply that I got from MTL_Runner on this very same subject (hope you don't mind, MTL!):

I like the Auterra because they do update the software very often and the portability just can't be beat. Using the PDA s a display and for running the software makes it much more powerful/flexible than any dedicated reader could be for anything close to that price (a snap-on reader can run $2500 to do the same thing!). Mark (Midiwall) also likes a unit that interfaces with his laptop and is cheaper ($90 I think?) but for me the added features of the Auterra (such as gear calculator, engine dyno, etc...) and the amazing portability (I don't like to lug around a bulky and delicate laptop in the shop or on a trip) make it worth the extra money.

I bought mine on eBay about 2 years ago now and I must say it would most likely be the most valuable tool in my toolbox. I got mine for like $180 but the auctions are always on there and if you are patient you can certainly get one in the $190-200 range. They are sold on there by auterra themselves so no worries on the warranty.

It has definately save me money. I bought it when I had my first check engine light come on in the 4runner (turned out to be an O2 sensor) but just to pull the code the dealer wanted $70! I said screw that and just put it towards the purchase......couldn't have made a smarter move. It is also awesome if you are looking to buy a used car. Just hook it up to any 1996 and later vehicle and there is no way someone can lie to you. It is actually quite intimidating for most and they will usually cough up any bad history on the car right away. You should see their jaws drop when you hook it up and pull the codes. If you know how to read the meters (O2 sensor voltage, MAF, etc) it can tell you exactly hw well the car is running or if something needs work. I have gone with friends several times to get a car and all were very happy and impressed.

Hope that helps.

Bob
Old 02-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Away

The only one that will do all the Toyota specific codes is a Factory Toyota scan tool and they're about $7000 USD. That is NOT a typo.

I use this one for my truck and it works very well.

Hope this helps and good luck.
G
Old 02-17-2004, 11:47 AM

Thanks Bob/Doc,

Interesting...a buddy just bought the BR3 and the Palm app I downloaded was from Auterra. I was hoping to find one that would do codes other than just P's but it's not looking good so far. The Auterra app does look pretty good overall, nice graphing etc. Wonder if Auterra has an SDK to add functionality? I work at a software development company, maybe I can get a programmer to add some things for me.

spyder
Old 02-17-2004, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spyder
Wonder if Auterra has an SDK to add functionality? I work at a software development company, maybe I can get a programmer to add some things for me.
I have both a BR-2 and the Auterra, and I like both for different reasons. You won't go wrong with either one. For the extra money, the dyno features of the Auterra may be worthwhile to you.

Regarding an SDK... two things... 1) There isn't one, nor does Auterra release source code. I've tried. 2) Depending on what kind of programming your company does, programming for the Palm OS can be radically different.

Last edited by midiwall; 02-17-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

This is the one I have for my laptop, it works awesome and can be easily upgraded.

http://www.ghg.net/dharrison/obdscan.html
Old 02-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spyder
Thanks Bob/Doc,

Interesting...a buddy just bought the BR3 and the Palm app I downloaded was from Auterra. I was hoping to find one that would do codes other than just P's but it's not looking good so far. The Auterra app does look pretty good overall, nice graphing etc. Wonder if Auterra has an SDK to add functionality? I work at a software development company, maybe I can get a programmer to add some things for me.

spyder
Yes, I am a huge fan of the Auterra!

The reader will read many manufacturer specific codes but some it won't.
I am not familiar with the B and C codes you are talking about.
I assume they must be ABS, Airbag and transmission codes?

I don't think that even the high end Snap-on scanner can read these.
I bet Galen is right.....it will be big $$$$$ for that capability.

If you have the resources I would love to see you expand on the Auterra and come up with something even better.....or at least an expansion capability. Trouble is I have no idea if they use the same bus, protocol, etc. One thing I vouch for is that Palm code is quite different....I have crashed and burned a few times trying.....quite a learning curve!!! I mean how many of us would like to write to the ECU and modify the fuel maps ourselves.