Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OBD II scan tool and dyno

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD II scan tool and dyno

I was just wondering if anyone has used one of these OBDII scan tools and dyno that connect to a palm pilot? I was on ebay and saw a couple for sale. They say they can check HP, torque, and gas milage, along with the normal code. Does anyone know how accurate the are?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Troymm
I was just wondering if anyone has used one of these OBDII scan tools and dyno that connect to a palm pilot? I was on ebay and saw a couple for sale. They say they can check HP, torque, and gas milage, along with the normal code. Does anyone know how accurate the are?
I love mine.....you can check it out in my signature.
When you go to their website you will see all the features (they didn't miss much for sure).

Do a search for "Auterra" on here and you will see alot of info and who is using them.
If you don't mind paying a few bucks for it, I think they are an invaluable tool.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:34 AM

I have the Auterra too, and as far as checking MPG, HP, Torque.... I’m not so sure. You must understand how it works. A generic formula is applied to the readings from the computer.

To get a HP reading if I recall right you specify weight, drag/frontal area, gearing and tire diameter. Then the Auterra probably uses an internal timer to figure out how long it took until the "speed sensor" in the computer returns say 60mph. It then just figures out how long it took to accelerate to 60mph and applies to it the figures you put in previously. The same can be easily accomplished with a stop watch and some paper.

Conclude on your own how accurate that is.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

I am looking at getting this one to use with my small laptop.
http://www.autotap.com/autotap_for_windows.html

I carry the laptop with most times when going on a trail for extra GPS maps if needed, bigger display for the GPS (again if needed), but mostly just to download pictures at night and edit.

I think if you calibrate the true speed with a GPS vs the indicated speed (or speed the vehicle thinks it's doing) you should be able to get reasonably accurate 1/4 and 0-60 times. To conclude HP and TQ curves will be way more tricky as you need to know exact weight, etc, etc.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RUNR
I have the Auterra too, and as far as checking MPG, HP, Torque.... I’m not so sure. You must understand how it works. A generic formula is applied to the readings from the computer.

To get a HP reading if I recall right you specify weight, drag/frontal area, gearing and tire diameter. Then the Auterra probably uses an internal timer to figure out how long it took until the "speed sensor" in the computer returns say 60mph. It then just figures out how long it took to accelerate to 60mph and applies to it the figures you put in previously. The same can be easily accomplished with a stop watch and some paper.

Conclude on your own how accurate that is.
Unless you have a dyno, that is the way HP is calculated (via the laws of physics).
As long as your speed and weight are acurate the calculation for HP will be too.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Unless you have a dyno, that is the way HP is calculated (via the laws of physics).
As long as your speed and weight are acurate the calculation for HP will be too.
Everybody has a different definition of accurate. I would not say +/- 15% deviation (easily) from real figures is accurate.

And neither will it be consistent due to meteorological changes alone. The Auterra would not fare better than the G-Tech units as far as accuracy and consistency go. And we know how satisfied G-Tech buyers are Auterra has many purposes, but little performance tuning value.