OBD II readers: Auterra & OBDdiagnostics.com

Old 10-06-2003, 12:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OBD II readers: Auterra & OBDdiagnostics.com

For quite some time, I've had one of these units:

http://obddiagnostics.com/

But recently, I got the urge to give something else a shot:

http://www.auterraweb.com/

Now having both - and being able to compare them side-by-side - I thought I might spend some words and do a comparison.

First off, I have to say that the Auterra unit is pretty impressive. It's VERY cool to be able to handle something the size of a Palm Pilot and know that, outside of keeping track of an address book and calendar it can also have a field day with the diagnostics interface on your truck! (side note: the OBD II interface is available on ALL 1996 model and later vehicles).

A general overview of each:
  • OBDdiagnostics.com
    - This unit interfaces to a computer that you supply via a serial link. Ideally, this would be a laptop, but it could also be a desktop PC.

- The manufacturer supplies software for Windows (9x, Me, 2000, XP), but there's also an independent contingent providing software for Linux. Mac OS X support is possible only by using a software based Windows emulator.

- A text based DOS version of the software is also available.

- The interface runs $88 from their site - including shipping. It's not generally available from any retailer or on eBay. If you have a Windows based PC or Laptop, then you're set. If not, then you'll have to invest in one or the other. The machine doesn't have to be powerful, an old PII machine with Windows 95 will run the software just fine.
  • Auterra
    - This unit also interfaces to a computer via a serial link, but is targeted for the handheld computer market. Software is only available for the Palm OS (3.x and up).

- The interface runs $269 from their site; and can be found on eBay from about $170-210 depending on demand. You'll also have to factor in the cost of a Palm OS box (if you don't already have one) and a "serial hotsync cable" as well. B/W Palms run from about $30 up, something color can be found for about $70. A hotsync cable runs about $5. (all prices are "eBay pricing" and do not include shipping)
Some generalities of both interfaces... Both interfaces will:
  • Read and display OBD II codes
  • Lookup the codes and translate to a more verbose text mode
  • Reset the CEL (Check Engine Light)
  • Show live information such as:
    - RPM
    - O2 sensor data
    - Air flow sensor data
    - Long/short term fuel trim data
    - Engine coolant temp
    - etc...
  • Show a configurable graph display
  • Provide data logging which can be "played back" later for analysis
  • Have excellent customer service. They are very prompt in answering questions.
Some pluses of both interfaces...
  • OBDdiagnostics.com
    - MUCH CHEAPER! Just $88 including shipping
    - Much more information on screen at once
  • Auterra
    - Smaller, and more compact to carry with you.
    - Definitely "snazzier" in display. "Snazzier" is defined as better use of color; Graphs being labeled and scalable; and a couple of other things.
    - Has a VERY cool "dyno" mode where it will show acceleration data as well as compute HP and torque based on JUST the OBD II information
    - Frequent software updates
Some minuses of both interfaces...
  • OBDdiagnostics.com
    - Now that I know you can "Dyno" from the OBD info, it's a bummer that this software doesn't offer that feature.
    - Hauling a laptop into your rig gets old fast.
    - Having displays in color is more than utilitarian - it HELPS! This software is all B&W.
    - The software updates seem to be a bit slow in coming. Not that there's anything wrong it, but compared to the Auterra...
  • Auterra
    - Expensive!
    - Not as much info on the screen at once
    - Has issues with saving user setups. (e.g., since there is minimal screen space, you define what info is on the screen at once. When you do this, you can't save the "screen definitions" so you have to re-enter them each time. This is due to be addressed in a later release).
And finally, an opinion:

The Auterra is cool and portable.
The OBDdiagnostics is cheap and effective.

Bottom line though, I feel that the Auterra is overpriced for what it gives you. Yes, you get a "dyno" along with it, but these days, you can find 2-axis accelerometer based dynos on eBay for about $50. Though, if you can afford it, and deal with a couple of software niggles, the Auterra is definitely "cool+". And, given the rate of software updates from the company, I think that the niggles will be gone "soon".

Bottom-Bottom line:
This may come as a surprise, but if I was to able to only have one box, then I would pick the OBDdiagnostics system. I have a root love of utility over flash, and I also have a knocking at the back of my head reminding me of the $350+ I paid for the Auterra setup.

Last edited by midiwall; 10-06-2003 at 02:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:17 AM
Contributing Member

Wow Mark, I am surprised! I like your honesty though.

Remember also that the new OS 5 screens are twice the definition so the newer software releases should be able to take advantage of that and display more information. Can't wait to see how they change the format in future versions.

To me the portability alone is worth the price (maybe not their website price) but definately the $190 I paid for mine on eBay. The other problem is that I don't have a laptop but I do have quite a few PDAs around so for me it is the logical choice. Even if I started with nothing (no PDA, no laptop) seems quite expensive to need to buy a laptop for that purpose even if it is an old junker (you need to spend at least $300 for it to do anything more than word processing ) when PDAs are going for $50 to 60 on eBay. I agree that the auterra is not cheap but the price does ensure bugs get fixed quickly and new features come out often.

Sorry you didn't like yours!
....given demand I am sure you could find a buyer for it.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 10-06-2003 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:53 AM

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
....given demand I am sure you could find a buyer for it.
I didn't say I was gonna sell mine....
Old 10-06-2003, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: OBD II readers: Auterra & OBDdiagnostics.com

Originally posted by midiwall

- Having displays in color is more than utilitarian - it HELPS! This software is all B&W.

Umm, the ver 2.1.2 beta software is color along with the ver 1.4.
I run the 2.1.2 now.
I have to agree that the BR-3 is cheap and effective. By far thebest purchase I have made in a long time.

Scott
Old 10-06-2003, 06:30 AM

Re: Re: OBD II readers: Auterra & OBDdiagnostics.com

Originally posted by elnip
Umm, the ver 2.1.2 beta software is color along with the ver 1.4.
I run the 2.1.2 now.
I'm refering more to using color to build readability and contrast between the foreground and background.

As I look at 2.1.x here, I see black numbers on the "classic VB gunship grey" background. Then, the graphs are black
on pale yellow. The new gauge display in v2 is kindof in color though.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by midiwall
I didn't say I was gonna sell mine....
Maybe that was just sticker-shock talking then.
I do think with the advances in handhelds that the innovations are almost limitless.
I really hope they take advantage of the HiRes screens in the next version.
We'll see I guess.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBDdiagnostics & auterra adapters

Can the Auterra connect thru the OBDdiagnostics adapter?

I have a pre-CAN auterra adapter and it won't work with my newer car.

The OBDdiagnostics CAN adapters are much cheaper than Auterra's but I'm not sure if the Auterra software will function through the OBDdiagnostics adapter. Has anyone tried this?