95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Noticed something weird when I changed my tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noticed something weird when I changed my tranny Fluid

Hey guys!!

I wanted to run this past you guys to see if any of you had this issue

I changed the tranny fluid in my truck over the weekend by dropping the pan and cleaning the filter. Any way on the dipstick there is a section for hot and cold marks. I had a heck of a time getting my fluid in the normal range in hot. But the next day I checked it after sitting over night and it was above the marks cold. My question is...Has anyone noticed this? I never check it before cold.

My second question is.....When do you check it hot. I waited after about a 14 mile drive and checked. Was it now too hot?

And Third......How much fluid has anyone put back in it after dropping the pan and filter? I measured what came out and it was about 6 quarts. Is that too much? It was always in the normal range when it was warm.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-28-2004, 03:56 PM

I have a 96 4runner and Toyota recommended not dropping the pan to do a service change. Supposedly the filter is supposed to be a non serviceable unit? Anyways, I run a bit more fluid than spec and it seems to shift smoother than way. Less fluid and it shifts sporatically. I think you'll be alright, just run it for a bit and see how it performs. BTW, a 14 mile drive is not too long. the fluid should remain at an ambient temperature once it warms up

Last edited by SAStoy; 04-28-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SAStoy
I have a 96 4runner and Toyota recommended not dropping the pan to do a service change. Supposedly the filter is supposed to be a non serviceable unit?

I would not suggest to never clean the filter.....in fact if you leave it too long you are asking for problems. The filter is a lifetime unit but that just means you dont replace it, not that it doesnt need to be cleaned and serviced.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey
Hey guys!!

I wanted to run this past you guys to see if any of you had this issue

I changed the tranny fluid in my truck over the weekend by dropping the pan and cleaning the filter. Any way on the dipstick there is a section for hot and cold marks. I had a heck of a time getting my fluid in the normal range in hot. But the next day I checked it after sitting over night and it was above the marks cold. My question is...Has anyone noticed this? I never check it before cold.

My second question is.....When do you check it hot. I waited after about a 14 mile drive and checked. Was it now too hot?

And Third......How much fluid has anyone put back in it after dropping the pan and filter? I measured what came out and it was about 6 quarts. Is that too much? It was always in the normal range when it was warm.

Thanks guys!
Go by the manual, it says to check it at the normal operating temp with the engine running and after you go from park to 1st and back to park. The cold marks are not very accurate, they are only a rough estimate.

As long as you were not towing a trailer or driving in city traffic on a very hot day you should'nt be above the normal temp.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:21 PM

I went by the Hot marks. I figured that it would be the most accurate since the tranny's warm and the fluid is actually flowing.

Does adding six quarts back in seem normal. The toyota dealer said that I should only add about 3 back in. Not that I beleive them or anything.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:36 AM

3 quarts is about right. Make sure you check the level as described above. DO NOT check levels of lubricants with the vehicle parked on your driveway since it slopes and your readings will be off. Move the vehicle to a flat area.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Amkeer
3 quarts is about right. Make sure you check the level as described above. DO NOT check levels of lubricants with the vehicle parked on your driveway since it slopes and your readings will be off. Move the vehicle to a flat area.
That's a good point. I think mine took at least 4-5 quarts though, can't remember for sure. Maybe he was parked on a slight incline when he drained the ATF and got more fluid out than normal. It holds a total of about 15 quarts, but you can't get it all out.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-01-2004 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:25 PM

I did make sure that it was level. I learned from experience one time on that one :pat:

I checked it again (Hot) and it was in the right range again. So everything is cool. Just weird that it took that much fluid to everybody elses.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
I did make sure that it was level. I learned from experience one time on that one :pat:

I checked it again (Hot) and it was in the right range again. So everything is cool. Just weird that it took that much fluid to everybody elses.
Keep in mind that 4X4 and 2WD will take very different amounts of fluid. Also, the fact that you removed the filter rather than just pulled the drain plug is probably worth 1/2 to 1 quart more as well.

5-6 quarts is about right and slightly over the mark on these units is not harmful either, it may actually be a little better.

-John