Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Not sure what's wrong..

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 04:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy Not sure what's wrong..

Hey guys, last night after some snow wheeling, a friend of mine and I went somewhere to get something to eat, when I came out my truck wouldn't start. It acted as though the battery was almost dead or just had a really bad connection. He gave me a jump and I drove it home, however, I noticed that when I turned my headlights on it almost died again. The next morning I needed a jump as well, so after work I had it tested. The battery is fine, the shop charged it and the truck starts on its own now. I did a simple test to see if the alternator was working and it seems to be (read 12volts with car off and 13~14 with it idling). Any one have any idea what the problem could be? I kind of wonder if it really was just a bad conenction to the battery...
Thanks a lot,
Bryan
Old 11-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had a similar problem, turned out to be a bad connection in the terminal/lug. replaced the lug, cleaned up the other one and the posts. now i just need to replace the little battery with an optima!

lee
Old 11-25-2004, 10:09 PM

It may be a dead battery. A fully charged battery should read 12.6 volts Here is a quick link. http://www.autobatteries.com/basics/voltage1.asp
Old 11-25-2004, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

I had this happen on my truck one time too. I was the positive battery terminal and connector. I just hit it a few times with a wench and it fired up. Eventually I replaced it though. It seemed that it always acted up when i was wheelin around water.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by az4x4runner
Hey guys, last night after some snow wheeling, a friend of mine and I went somewhere to get something to eat, when I came out my truck wouldn't start. It acted as though the battery was almost dead or just had a really bad connection. He gave me a jump and I drove it home, however, I noticed that when I turned my headlights on it almost died again. The next morning I needed a jump as well, so after work I had it tested. The battery is fine, the shop charged it and the truck starts on its own now. I did a simple test to see if the alternator was working and it seems to be (read 12volts with car off and 13~14 with it idling). Any one have any idea what the problem could be? I kind of wonder if it really was just a bad conenction to the battery...
Thanks a lot,
Bryan

A bad connection is what it sounds like. I was gona say mix up some bakingsoda and water and let it sit on the terminals. I had the same problem on my 94' (crud bildup = bad connection). Let the bakingsoda sit and watch it work Just my .02

Craig.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:43 AM

just as everybody else said, i think it might be a bad connection too. Cuz last winter my connection went out on me as well. Spent a lot of time and $$ trying to diagnose the problem Ended up just having to replace the clamps and clean the terminals
Old 11-26-2004, 06:59 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
How old is your battery? It may be cheap insurance to replace it if it's more than about 4 years old. I've seen cells recover after a good, "hard" charge, only to fail shortly after.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

also check the water level in your battery! extreme temps (both cold and hot) will mess with a battery, especialy if it is low on fluid!
Old 11-26-2004, 07:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Sofar it's been doing fine since I cleaned the terminals off. It use to act up before when I was wheelin around water until I replaced the positive battery terminal. I'm thinking it may be time to replace the nagative one as well. The battery isn't very old, I bought it in September because my old battery was dead (it was ancient).

Thanks for the input guys, I'll try cleaning them with baking soda until I can pickup a new negative clamp this weekend.

Edit: oh yeah, the fluid level is good..

Last edited by az4x4runner; 11-26-2004 at 07:46 AM.