Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Not another front end noise.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not another front end noise.........

Not sure what would be the proper term to search for in the search function so I'll post it up here.

2 Questions

1. Earlier this year my 4runner had a noise in the front which turned out to be a bad drivers side lower ball joint and a bump steering rack. So a new ball joint and rack was installed (kept the original rack since I know what the problem is with it now) along with getting two separate alignments since the work was down at different times.

After the rack was installed I noticed a slight tire squealing noise (you know the sound that your tires when you squal them off the line or whatever you want call it ) when I make a right turn and depending on the serverity of turn the squealing will get louder. At full lock (making a u-turn) its the loudest.

2. When braking the vehicle tends to pull to the left and has kind of a sloppy feel to it (if that makes sense). This started happening about month after the new steering rack was installed. I originally thought that the front brakes were the problem so I replaced them and at the same time inspected the rotors for any wrappage or excessive wear, which neither were too be found.

From what I can tell the ball joints and cv's are fine (the bushings for the sway bar links need to be replaced though)

On top of that (haven't been able to duplicate this one) about a month or so ago while out driving aroudn town I noticed a slight rattle coming from what seemed to be steering column but it went away shortly after. Again, I haven't been able to duplicate this one and maybe irrelevant to the two above issues.

So do you all have any ideas what this might be.

Here's what I'm thinking but I'm not sure............

1. Wheel bearings are going bad. If the wheel bearings are going bad how do tell on which side they are going bad? Should both sides just be replaced at the same time.
2. The steering rack I had installed is a piece of crap and is going bad.
3. Steering rack is loose.
4. Ball joints are bad despite not showing any signs of damaged/excessive wear. I take that back and the above comment the drivers side uppder ball joint could probable be replaced since it does show some signs of being worn.
5. Bad alignment (question #1). Again, I had two separate alignments down from two separate shops. The "Haynes Manual" notes this one.
6. In proper tire pressure (don't really think this is problem).

If I left something out I'll try to explain better in morning since it's now past midnight.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:51 PM

for wheel bearings ur gunna want to lift up the front end and see if the tires have any play. if your bearings are good they wont move. im dealing with the same thing right now buddy
Old 10-16-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by griffin1ets
for wheel bearings ur gunna want to lift up the front end and see if the tires have any play. if your bearings are good they wont move. im dealing with the same thing right now buddy
Ya, I did that when I replaced my brake pads and everything seemed fine.