Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Non-motorized "Whip" antennas- an alternative solution for broken antenna masts

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 10:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Non-motorized "Whip" antennas- an alternative solution for broken antenna masts

Guys,

I know several of you have problems with your motorized antenna mast and/or motor so I wanted to post this here in case some of you missed this in the "Maintenance" section.

I replaced my motorized antenna many months ago with a non-motorized antenna with an optional Tacoma black colored "whip" antenna.

These are the part numbers for the antenna assembly and the black taco whip antenna:

Antenna assembly: 86300-35090 (list $36.94)
Tacoma Whip antenna: 86309-AA040 ($27.38 at my dealership)

The antenna assembly comes with a silver antenna. The black Taco whip is optional. Personally if you just wanted a black antenna, I imagine you could scuff up the silver one with sand paper, paint it black with Krylon and then you'll have a black antenna. However, the Tacoma whip antenna has the wire wrapped around the length of the antenna from top to bottom---it looks cooler in my opinion. They both work well.

This non-motorized antenna is the best and its a relatively cheap replacement that requires no maintenance or worry. I give it a thumbs up.

Bob
Old 12-17-2002, 10:35 PM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wire that is twisted around the antenna has been rumored to be the fix for the whistle noise the previous style had at high speeds.

I recommend it also.

0.o
Jay
Old 12-18-2002, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just another tidbit of info about power antenna probs...

My antenna still works fine, however I had problems with the power part of it. Mine would go up with no problems, but it wouldn't go back down - the motor would just grind. I took the fender liner (front passenger wheel well) out and disconnected the power running to the motor. Now it works like a fixed mast antenna. Not sure what I'll do when it's time to wheel, but it's good enough for now. Come better weather I may reconnect it and put some kind of a switch in the engine bay... I can turn the power on and off as necessary. Leave the power off for daily driving, but give it power and "encourage" the antenna down when it's time to wheel.

No cost, took me about 30 minutes to do it.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:38 AM

Jackson,

That's a good idea.

Bob
Old 12-18-2002, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Can anyone show me a pic of the Taco Whip Antenna and will it fit a 2nd Gen Runner? My antenna mast is Toastodo and I hate electric antenna's anyways.. hmm turn stereo off, tear antenna off with tree limb.........stereo.. antenna... Sucks IMO.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:23 PM

Question

so bob, do you need to buy the antenna assembly AND the tacoma whip antenna? or can you make the tacoma whip work with what 4-runners come with stock?

and is the silver one that comes with the antenna assembly flexible? or is it just a stiff antenna that is non-retractable?

-jay

Last edited by CMUpike; 12-18-2002 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:09 PM

UK:

You are in luck, I have my digital camera with me right now at work and I'll take a few shots and post it soon. I really have no clue if these parts will work with your 2nd gen.

Edit: Oops, spoke too soon. I have the camera but not the data transfer cable. I'll have to wait until I get home to post the pics.

Jay:

The antenna assembly comes with the silver whip antenna. It is smooth on the outside. So yes, you could just buy this and you will have a non-motorized whip antenna (silver)

The Tacoma whip antenna and the part # I referenced above is optional---it is just the black whip antenna itself. It will screw into the antenna assembly.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 12-18-2002 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:51 PM

UK,

Here are two pics, a full length shot and a close up:

As you can see in the close up, the antenna wire is wrapped around the antenna and painted/coated black. The silver antenna that comes with the antenna assembly is just smooth and silver.

Bob
Old 12-18-2002, 11:41 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Bob now I just need to find out if the housing is the same like CMU pike mentioned.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:55 PM
Jay

The silver and the black w/twisted wire are interchangable. If you have a power antenna ( one that retacts ), you will need to buy the base ( part inside the fender ), to mount it. The "whip" antennas DO NOT retract, but rather unscrew if need. I leave mine finger tight. Another good idea would be to keep a wrench handy if you wanted to take it off for 4x4ing.

Jay
Old 12-19-2002, 12:06 AM

Question

are these flexible antennas "car wash" safe? i'm wondering since i'm hearing people recommend removing them for off-roading. my antenna got bent in the first place because of a car wash. i turned the radio off, and the guy turned the car off and on again, (which must have turned the radio back on) and the antenna went up, and the truck went through the carwash... unfortunately, it would no longer retract, because it was bent up pretty bad. i was able to RE bend it to a somewhat normal shape, but it still won't go down all the way. it sticks up about 2 inches when retracted all the way.

which is why a *new* antenna at 36 bucks doesn't sound too bad right about now.

now if i were to install something like this, would i have to take the fender off? is that something easy to do? and if i were to take this fender off, would it make the airbox elbow accessible so i could take that off too while everything is open? or am i talking about 2 different fender removals?

any help would be greatly appreciated

-jay
Old 12-19-2002, 12:15 AM
Jay

Not the Fender, but the inner liner. And yes, you can access the elbow than as well.

I run mine through the car wash with it on. But over time it can break the base, which is made out of fiberglass. I suggest just unscrewing it temporarily. Invest in a small wrench for the glove box, something cheap from autoparts store.

Jay
Old 12-19-2002, 06:06 AM

:eek: Here is more info on pwr ant replacement,
2gen pwr antenna do not hav a constant power source. the factory radio sends a 1 minute 12v surge to the antenna to send it up when the radio is on and you start your runner. when you power off the radio or the the ignition the head unit sends another 12v surge to bring the antenna down.

Most aftermarket replacement pwr ant need a constant 12v source to keep them up if you replace the head unit or the antenna you might run in to this. SOLUTION for after market pwr antennas, wire up a swith to an ignition power source that way you can flip the switch to drop the antenna when your wheeling.

For those who have trouble getting it up or down (sorry for the pun) you can order a replacement mast from the dealer. In most cases the motor does not fail but the teeth on the gear strip of the mast are broken.

sorry the post is so long, and have a great holiday.
hope it helps.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:45 AM

Write up: How to install a "Taco" whip antenna

Guys,

I finished my write up of this mod. Click here

Bob