Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Non ABS truck with an ABS axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non ABS truck with an ABS axle

So... I decided to do my axle seals my self and tell the stealership to stuff the $400 a side they wanted up their tailpipe. A quick call to marlin and I landed the super duper marlin seals that come in a nicely packed box with a HUGE marlin sticker... WHOO HOO!!!

So I have a truck without ABS, so I figured it was reasonable to assume that it came without the ABS sensors... WRONG. I think my truck was produced towards the end of the 02 line and close to the 03 changeover when ABS became standard... Toyota's solution, TO SEND EM OUT THE DOOR WITH THE ABS AXLES WITH BLOCKOFF PLATES! WOOT!

So I have a NON ABS truck WITH ABS. I thought they looked funny as I pulled them out... but I figured the bearing set would work.... once again wrong. I received a call from our excellent local machine shop at about the time I was expecting to pick up the axles... telling me none of the hardware was going to work. DOH!!!

So the truck lives on the stands another night and I get to pray that the shop can put all the stuff on before lunch... and I can slip in the axles before 2.... so I can get to class. Great!

By the way... my over arched springs are gross.... does anyone else have the same problem? Im thinking of some 4 to 5 up deavers... Hopefully the rig will sit up and I will get some flex that way.