YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Noise in Front end While Turning Left/ Clicking while going straight.

Well after solving the squealing brakes that I had for a while, It seems like the quietness helped me hear a few things that I couldn't hear while driving before. I have a bad grinding,clicking,popping sound coming from (what i think) the passenger side front wheel. I figured I had messed something up when I replaced the brakes because I dont remember hearing/feeling anything like this before I did the brakes. I checked to make sure I had re installed correctly and everything seems fine (brakewise). I did search and I think my culprit is the drivers side CV joint since it only happens when I'm turning left at a slow speed. I jacked up the tire to see if i could recreate the sound while just spinning the wheel and all I hear is the brakes lightly rubbing. I also pushed and pulled on the wheel and there is no play or rattle so I know it is not the bearings. Has anyone ever had a problem like this?

A second noise has also developed since the brake upgrade... its a ticking noise that varies with speed.. i can't hear where its coming from or what side its from but I suspect that it is the same wheel area as the other problem.. they may even be related so hopefully when I fix/replace the parts both will be gone.

So in a nutshell, Is there anything in the brake components that would cause this sort of noise? Do CVs click when they are broken? What do you think my noise is coming from?

Please help diagnose this as it is Sunday and there are no mechanics open on Sunday... like cars don't brake down on a Sunday.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Shirleyda4runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
This one time, at band camp
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to DeathCougar Send a message via Yahoo to DeathCougar
sounds like a CV to me. If you have ADD where the axle is always spinning, then yes its your CV making the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
Hmmm, dunno. Ask the oem Nazi DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
I'll cut you.
DeathCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

Excuse my ignorance, but what is ADD?

(Go ahead and joke)
Old 05-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Threadstarter [OP]

Also, to make things even more complicated... If I turn the wheel ALL the way to the left, there is no noise. ::Edit:: I just had a friend drive around in circles for me and you CAN hear when the wheel is turned completely from the outside, just not the inside.

Last edited by Shirleyda4runner; 05-20-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

Funny story actually.... I searched for clicking while turning and grinding and saw that the majority of the answers were about CV joints. Well then I assumed I had CV joints, period... which now, after thinkin outloud on this post for a while... i realize that SINCE it is a 2WD there are no CV joints... so now the question has changed... what could cause these noises in the fron end of a 2WD?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #6

Check the stabilizer end links. My driver side link was broken and it was making the clicking noise when turning. I replaced it and no more noise.
4runnersurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
This one time, at band camp
Personal Sales Rating: (21)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to DeathCougar Send a message via Yahoo to DeathCougar
ADD= automatic disconnecting differential....but since you dont have 4x4, you dont have that. If you have aftermarket rims, they could be rubbing something at full lock?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
Hmmm, dunno. Ask the oem Nazi DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
I'll cut you.
DeathCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
Threadstarter [OP]

I'll check it out tomorrow, when there is daylight. If there are any more suggestions please let me know what you think will work out nicely.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #9
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

I agree that what your describing sounds like a worn CV axel.
How many miles do you have?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
Threadstarter [OP]

222,221 miles, but I dont have 4wd so there are no CV joints...Im going to check the stabilizer in the morning, anything else that could cause this sort of clunking or ticking whilst turning. Whilst.. when does anyone ever say that anymore.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:31 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2004, buick, clicking, cv, end, front, joints, left, lesabre, noise, noises, rear, tacoma, toyota, turning, vw