Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

NGK Spark Plugs, Pre-Gapped?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NGK Spark Plugs, Pre-Gapped?

I just did a plug change on my '98 4Runner, and from what i've read on here, and from the NGK website, the NGK BKR5EKB-11 plugs should come pre-gapped at .040. Well, NONE of mine were, they were all around .020. I double checked my spark plug gapper with another, and even busted out a set of feeler gauges to REALLY make sure. I gapped mine to .043 - .044; kinda hard to get an accurate gap to the thousands of an inch by eye.

So, were your NGK BKR5EKB-11's pre-gapped to the correct spec out of the box??
Old 09-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was in ASEP school our Auto Tech teacher said to never assume spark plugs are pre-gapped. I've ran into a few of them that aren't properly gapped and usually check them anyways. What's an extra minute just to be sure than having to take them back out after driveability concerns after installation?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats how my ngk v powers were. All .005-.010 out of spec. The box said pregapped and what not but theres not alot of room around the 3vz so i only wanted to do it once.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:40 PM

pre gapped?
how often do you think the clerks played footy ball with that box of plugs?
well, maybe not footy ball, but were they dropped at some point?
Never assume a plug is pregapped, always double check the gap.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
...What's an extra minute just to be sure than having to take them back out after driveability concerns after installation?
Originally Posted by DYNNOMMYTE
pre gapped?
... Never assume a plug is pregapped, always double check the gap.
Yep, thats exactly why I checked the gap before I installed them; I had never heard of pre-gapped plugs until I started reading up on my 4Runner. I had read how NGK 'laser gapped' the plugs to achieve accuracy; and I'll agree with that statment once NGK defines 'accuracy' (+/- a foot or what?).

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
Thats how my ngk v powers were. All .005-.010 out of spec...
I could understand if they were a little off like yours were; but this is re-freaking-tarded when they were +0.2 off. Wonder how many un-mechanically inclined saps bought these plugs thinking they were "plug'n'play" (pun intended), only to have their motor run like crap?

BTW, the plug & wire change solved my idle and under-load misfires. Motor seems to wake up at around 3k RPM and just go like a banshee. Kinda scary how quiet and smooth the engine is at idle now. I'll post up some pics of my plugs, they were VERY worn.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:40 PM

You dont gap those plugs!! They are dual electrode plugs that are pre- gapped. I went threw this a few months back with the same plugs and even called NGK directly. If you have gapped them, you might have ruined them.https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...estion-186032/

Last edited by bgmac; 09-12-2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Posted Link
Old 09-12-2009, 07:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since the 3.4 uses dual-electrode plugs, I'm wondering two things:

A) how are you accurately checking your gap?
B) how are you adjusting your gap?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by bgmac
You dont gap those plugs!! They are dual electrode plugs that are pre- gapped. I went threw this a few months back with the same plugs and even called NGK directly. If you have gapped them, you might have ruined them.https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...estion-186032/
Son-of-a...wow. Lovely. Makes sense why each side was .020...both of them together would give you .040? Thank god these things are cheap.

Originally Posted by RobD
Since the 3.4 uses dual-electrode plugs, I'm wondering two things:

A) how are you accurately checking your gap?
B) how are you adjusting your gap?
Checking the gap between the center electrode & side electrodes and with cheapie AutoZone plug gapper, and with set of feeler gauges; adjusting them with the left end u-shaped portions of this tool:

Mothle!

Oh well, learned something new today! Sheesh, getting my ass handed to me on a simple plug change...thats what I get for owning domestics all my life and never experiencing the joys of dual electrode plugs.

Last edited by MunkeyTX; 09-12-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by MunkeyTX
Oh well, learned something new today! Sheesh, getting my ass handed to me on a simple plug change...thats what I get for owning domestics all my life and never experiencing the joys of dual electrode plugs.
Ya, thats pretty much how I felt.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by MunkeyTX
Son-of-a...wow. Lovely. Makes sense why each side was .020...both of them together would give you .040? Thank god these things are cheap.

Checking the gap between the center electrode & side electrodes and with cheapie AutoZone plug gapper, and with set of feeler gauges; adjusting them with the left end u-shaped portions of this tool:

Mothle!

Yes, I know how to check plugs. That feeler gauge only works accurately on a single electrode plug. The center electrode is round, as are the ends of the dual electrodes. Unless you have a very flexible feeler gauge, I doubt you're getting an accurate reading. Jamming it in so it fits might possibly damage one or the other electrode.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:52 PM

Now, all that being said, you can run single electrode plugs. I have for 2 years, but switched to the duals last time around. They're supposed to last longer, so we'll see.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:13 PM

found via google search- thanks for letting me in

" (gasp hah heavy breathing)"

almost a year late... I just want to say it out loud then. Prepping for 3rd gen maintenance day on Sunday and doing plugs again now for an 01 Limited V6.

"There is no need to check the gap on dual electrode spark plugs? Is that the correct way of putting it?"

Or is it better to say the total gap of both electrodes should be the published figure?

Or better to just not mess with it at all and presume it is gapped correctly?

If the total figure is .040 then as above-each one is .020?

So that feeler gauge pictured would go that low so as to be able to check each side.

My specifics would be the Nippodenso K16TR11. The box "U groove" pictures a single electrode but the plug is most definitely a dual. Just not mess with em?

I googled a few sites for "gap dual electrode plugs?" and for every person that says do not touch 'em there is another that says gap should be checked. Those tuner guys are funny... I won't name a specific site I don't want to irritate anyone...

Last edited by Ron Helmuth; 06-21-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: look I am quoting myself like a dime store novel- one of those bodice ripping cheapo books with the lurid photos of 3rd gens
Old 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
found via google search- thanks for letting me in

" (gasp hah heavy breathing)"

almost a year late... I just want to say it out loud then. Prepping for 3rd gen maintenance day on Sunday and doing plugs again now for an 01 Limited V6.

"There is no need to check the gap on dual electrode spark plugs? Is that the correct way of putting it?"

Or is it better to say the total gap of both electrodes should be the published figure?

Or better to just not mess with it at all and presume it is gapped correctly?

If the total figure is .040 then as above-each one is .020?

So that feeler gauge pictured would go that low so as to be able to check each side.

My specifics would be the Nippodenso K16TR11. The box "U groove" pictures a single electrode but the plug is most definitely a dual. Just not mess with em?

I googled a few sites for "gap dual electrode plugs?" and for every person that says do not touch 'em there is another that says gap should be checked. Those tuner guys are funny... I won't name a specific site I don't want to irritate anyone...
I don't know how the gap on them really works. I have never tried to gap them since I have known from the start that you never gap dual grounded plugs. Even nice NGK Laser Platinums I NEVER GAP (If you think that $3-$4 ea is expensive try $15-$25 each for a 6 cyl). I always just put them in with some anti-seize on the threads and dielectric grease on top so the boots won't stick when you take them out. I have also found that the Denso's are less expensive than the NGK plugs. I put Denso's in last time around even though it has been discussed at length that originally we have Densos in the Left Bank and NGK's in the Right Bank. Since my Densos were way more worn than the NGKs I will be getting NGK's next time.

Last edited by stir_fry_boy; 06-22-2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 AM

IfToyota FSM 5VZE Ignition

If these plugs can't be gapped, would someone please explain Page IG-4 of the above? I gap mine to1.1mm on each side using a wire type gauge. Many NGK's are off, although fewer are out recently. I have been doing this for 11 years and 128K miles and truck runs great. I have always used NGK BKR5EKB-11 from NAPA and change every 30K.

There is no way to ruin one of these plugs by checking it with a wire gauge. If it is out, it needs to be adjusted.

I use one of these (K-D Tools #2327) to gap:

It has 1.02mm and 1.12mm feelers. I make it loose on 1.02 and barely too tight on 1.12. This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by TheDurk; 06-22-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 AM

Gap the plugs. I feel the gap does not have to be spot on, but I gapped all six of mine to .043-.044. Two of mine (NGK) out of the box were over .060.
I've even gapped iridium plugs with no problem.

Either type of gauge show will work just fine. Don't forget the dap of antiseize.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by J2F42C
Gap the plugs. I feel the gap does not have to be spot on, but I gapped all six of mine to .043-.044. Two of mine (NGK) out of the box were over .060.
I've even gapped iridium plugs with no problem.

Either type of gauge show will work just fine. Don't forget the dap of antiseize.
I have flat feelers as well for other uses. If you use them and they pass between the electrodes, you are a few thousandths too wide, because of the profile of the electrodes. If you allow for that, fine. Or I guess you could just stick it in slightly. I am far more comfortable using the wire type.

Either is fine for adjusting.

Last edited by TheDurk; 06-22-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 PM

thank you guys- this is why I ask to learn from those who know.

appreciate the rapid response
Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i get my spark plugs at the dealer and ive never checked them and it runs perfect everytime
Old 06-22-2010, 03:53 PM

What NOT to do for gapping plugs...... I'll never trust expertvillage when they have a young Boris Karloff banging the plug on a table.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYK5IUXSfew&feature=fvw

Straight from NGK, there is not a more straight foward tutorial for gapping plugs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk70o...eature=related
Old 06-23-2010, 07:33 PM

good video link thanks but I don't see a dual electrode plug shown (just saying)

Quick Reply: NGK Spark Plugs, Pre-Gapped?