Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

NGK Iridium Spark plugs- single electrode OK?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NGK Iridium Spark plugs- single electrode OK?

I did a search and found a thread where a couple people mentioned that it was important to have dual-electrode plugs (as it says on the 5vz-fe). However, if you go to Kragen and ask them for the NGK iridium plugs, they give you a plug that is single electrode. Don't ask why I need iridium plugs.. i don't really i just had some from a while ago that i purchased. Today I opened them up to find that they are only single electrode. I purchased the spark plugs from this exact website:

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1272619

Even there, the iridium ix plugs #5464 are the same ones that kragen says will work with the 97 4runner with the 5vz-fe, but it's a single electrode.

Question is, is this plug acceptable or will I have problems? Anyone use this exact plug? Thanks for any info
Old 08-21-2007, 04:10 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I would use the OEM plugs...Denso or NGK.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:20 AM

Mt dealer sells upgraded plugs. They advertise that the Dual Electrode Densos should be changed every 30K. The platinums are good for 60 K and the Iridiums are 100 K plugs.

I'm not a physicist, so I wonder how these expensive plugs are 100% functional so long.

Since I do my own tune ups, I will stick with the 30K Denso dual eletrode plugs. I like working on my truck and (more importantly) it gets me into the engine where I can assess what's going on with it.

I changed my plugs this weekend. They were all uniformly worn (that's good) and when I was done, the engine ran super smooth and quiet. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. I can't get that with plugs which last 4-5 years. I'd always be wondering if they are working correctly.

Sorry for the long post, those are my thoughts. Oh, don't forget the anti-seize.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 PM

When you say OEM plugs NGK, do you mean the 3967 stock number? or part number BKR5EKB-11 (go to the link in the original post)

I'll see if kragen has those. They don't carry Denso and I only have a few days until its back out to school with no tools to work on the truck
Old 08-21-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run iridiums denso so well see as time moves on if their worth it or not.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 PM

I've been running the NGK Iridiums for about 18k now and no problems. I don't buy into the whole dual electode thing. I figure once you buy decent plugs there just as good. I guess only time will tell.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and put in some NGK dual ground copper core plugs but i still have my iridiums. Maybe i will use those next time if no one reports any problems.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:36 PM

Would upgrading from the regular duals to the irdium singles be worth the price?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 PM

yota where are you i want to see your dual exhaust.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 PM

i run 3vze dual diode plugs in my 22re, works great
Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you install a trd 7th injector on a s/c 5VZ motor, trd tells you to use a certain denso iridium single electrode plug. They work just fine under those conditions. I wouldnt use them unless I was under those conditions tho. My wife's lexus has iridium plugs from the factory in it and the service intercal on them is every 120K. We are at 114K and no problems. So to answer all your longevity questions about iridium plugs, they are good for the mileage
Old 03-03-2008, 10:24 PM

I have NGK Iridiums in my 98 runner with the 3.4 and they are great!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:51 AM

the basic idea is that your truck (ignition system etc etc) is not designed to run on irridium or platinum plugs. something to do with burn points (i think thats the right term).. they burn hotter than standard duel electrode plugs..

besides my factory plugs (ngk \ denso mix) lasted 60k miles easy. granted i wouldnt wait that long but its nice to know that they will last that long.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:49 AM

always run the plug your engine is designed for, as stated in the manual

if you are making mods, then all bets are off. you need to make a whole series of modifications to make something different work or produce more power, and this would include new ecu mapping to adjust timing

the reason is simple. the speed of the flame front is expected to be the same. all the engine management and timing control depends on specification. the engineers also account for the carbon build up in a running engine and actually expect the compression to change slightly over time, up to the point where carbon doesn't build up any more. they take into account the propagation of the flame front and all that jazz. if you could change the moment of ignition or enhance the spark in any way...first off you likely cannot make a change, and if you did, you'd make the motor a little less efficient not more efficient. in a modern ECU and emissions controlled engine, best to stick with stock specification plugs.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:17 AM

interesting edzo, it would be nice to be able to run irridiums in your tacos and runners (granted you can but you know what i mean). i would rather change the plugs every 100k miles than 30k miles for sure!!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 AM

i like the NGK or denso stock ones, get them from the dealer pre gapped ( always check this though!!) and its a 30 minute job to change them. i figure every 30k (or two years, whichever comes first) it will give me a good look at my engine and will give me clues as to how its operating.

im with the group that doesnt trust any part that says it will last 100k miles. what kind of 100k miles are those? on a dyno at 1500 rpm? or on city streets and highways and offroad? i bet you its not that latter.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
interesting edzo, it would be nice to be able to run irridiums in your tacos and runners (granted you can but you know what i mean). i would rather change the plugs every 100k miles than 30k miles for sure!!

I am pretty sure you can run any standard plug, just don't mess with ignition 'enhancers' or 'spark enhancers'. if the toyota coil is firing the plug the timing will be fine, however, if the spark takes a different amount of juice to fire then it may make the coil work harder or ecu compensate more. a plug is a plug if the electrode is the same design and shape. the material used, if it lasts longer, is fine.

a spark intensifier may perhaps give better ignition reliability if spark plugs are heavily fouled, but this is very rarely the case on any modern engine. In any case, simply replacing the plugs would be a better (and usually cheaper) solution to this problem.

Fundamentally, once the mixture is lit, it's lit. A fire doesn't burn hotter because you use a bigger match to light it; a bigger spark won't make the fuel/air mixture burn any hotter either. Changing ignition energy...there are some marginal benefits in extreme conditions (cold, damp, etc), the overall effect on power and fuel consumption on any modern engine is negligible.

(some stuff stolen from other smart engine dudes)

in the case of iridium or platinum plugs, if it meets specification, use them. if they last longer, bonus.

Last edited by edzo; 03-04-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
i like the NGK or denso stock ones, get them from the dealer pre gapped ( always check this though!!) and its a 30 minute job to change them. i figure every 30k (or two years, whichever comes first) it will give me a good look at my engine and will give me clues as to how its operating.

im with the group that doesnt trust any part that says it will last 100k miles. what kind of 100k miles are those? on a dyno at 1500 rpm? or on city streets and highways and offroad? i bet you its not that latter.
my gf's 05 corolla runs on irridiums and she as 98k miles on them now with no issues. i just bought some new ones to replace them just havent gotten around to it
Old 03-04-2008, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by edzo
I am pretty sure you can run any standard plug, just don't mess with ignition 'enhancers' or 'spark enhancers'. if the toyota coil is firing the plug the timing will be fine, however, if the spark takes a different amount of juice to fire then it may make the coil work harder or ecu compensate more. a plug is a plug if the electrode is the same design and shape. the material used, if it lasts longer, is fine.

thats the key there. but i dont have the info on the differences in standard duels compared to irridiums.. that info would be key to figure this out
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM

can anybody give an update on how their single ground ngk iridium ix's are doing? my dad just picked some up and need to know if it is worth running them or if i should just return them and pick up some stock ones

also does anybody know if these come pre-gapped correctly for the 3.4?

Quick Reply: NGK Iridium Spark plugs- single electrode OK?