Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Newby 4Runner questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newby 4Runner questions

Unlike most SUV drivers, I enjoy going off-road. Heck, I worked on a 104 square mile ranch that did not have a single paved road. I drove it top to bottom in my Subaru Outback.

It is time to give the Outback to my son and get a new vehicle that is more off-road capable, yet still fun to drive on the road.

I have looked at the Touareg and would be all over it if it was available here with the V-10 diesel. That will not happen until the end of 2004 at best. The problem with the Touareg is that so many of the parts that hit the rocks are plastic, and seem more fragile than flexible.

I will probably go ahead with the purchase of a 2003 4runner Sport. My hope is that it will offer the same Forest Service performance my Outback offers. I already know it will beat the pants off the Outback for off-road abilities.

My questions are: 1) Often I find that Forest Service roads are dead ends. My Outback is real easy to back down the trail a mile or so, to get to a place wide enough to turn around. Does the 4runner back down trails easily?

2) I have over 200,000 miles on the Outback and have no squeeks or rattles. Do the 4runners hold-up well? I have been in new Suburbans that sound as if they will self destruct on a gravel road.

3) I know it is early to tell on the 4th generation 4runner, but do the brakes and shocks seem to hold-up well? My Outback goes 100,000 miles on front pads.

I think the 4runner is an exceptional value for the Sport model with a V8. While it is hard to find a 4x4 one configured the way I want here in Texas, I will expand my search area. It is beyond me why someone woud buy a 4x2 SUV. There are nearly unlimited Forest Service roads and trails to explore, and 4 wheel drive makes such exploration a blast.

BTW: I had the Outback and dirt bikes out at Moab during this years Easter Jeep Safari. While there were a reported 20,000 Jeeps, I saw only one 2003 4runner. And it was parked, not driving Hells Revenge like me. I saw nearly every flavor of Jeep on the trails (no Libertys though), one brand new UniMog, a number of Rovers, two Hummers, one Toyota Pick-up, but no 4runners.

I would really appreciate any guidance and wisdom regarding this purchase.
Attached Thumbnails Newby 4Runner questions-wetsuby.jpg  
Old 04-24-2003, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

No replies yet, so I will give it a go. You are on a Toyota board, so you are generally going to get honest, biased opinions (that may be a fallacy). It all kinda depends on what you need. Do you need more clearance? Because I know first hand that Subaru's are excellent off-road (light). But, if you need the extra clearance, then go with a Runner. No rattles on a Subaru after 200K miles? Yikes, you must have a gem.

My 4Runner has some rattles. But I dont let them bother me. I just turn up the stereo and make the intake and exhaust louder, especially on washboard type roads.

All I can say, is drive one and see what you think. Most of us are going to tell you to go out there and get yourself a Runner. Besides, if you get the Runner, you can join this Forum. How cool is that?
Old 04-24-2003, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

I'll be the first to respond from a 4th gen 4runner owner.

If you plan on getting the v8 powered 4runner, then you know that engine reliability will be a non-issue. It's the same engine from back when the first v8's came out for the landcruisers (98 i think). ofcrouse they'd changed some stuff (called it iForce now) but essentially it's the same.

Since it's a toyota made in Japan (one of just a few left), reliability in terms of lasting a long time should be no problem. I expect my 4runner to do atleast 250,000 minimum and hopefully 1,000,000 but i'm dreaming .

I've been lucky to actually take my 4runner out on 4 trails ranging from easy to pretty darn difficult for a stock vehicle. Considering that toyota has lowered the vehicle by 2" compared to the previous gen, it still handles very well offroad. I've even made some trails with no problems while others struggled to make it thru the trail so I know these new 4runners are meant to be on the trails

I would not hesitate to get 4runner if I was not a 4runner owner already as I know these vehicles will last a very long time.

Turning radius on this vehicle is very good I'm actually surprised how tight the turning radius is. Not sure about the breaks but I'm guessing that it won't last as long as you would want them to. The good thing is it's 4wheel disc so you know the rear will wear out alot faster than the fronts. Shocks seem okay but considering the aftermarket parts that will be available in the near future, upgrading to higher grade shocks should be no problem.

If ya have any other questions, feel free to ask away. There's actually a few of us 03 owners here so we all should be able to help ya out on any q's

Lance
Old 04-24-2003, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

I sold my 1991 4Runner when I bought my new 2003.

Virtually everyone that every rode in my '91 commented on how quiet it still was--not a squeak or rattle to be found.

It had 200K miles on it when I sold it. I expect to keep the 2003 for at least as long.

I think you'll also find that most Toyota owners--at least those passionate enough about their vehicles to waste time on the web talking about them --are also very good about maintaining them.

Between the quality of Toyota vehicles, and following the maintenance schedules, I think you'd find that if you buy a 4runner you'll enjoy for as long as you choose to keep it.

Your mileage may vary of course.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Ditto with everything said earlier. Great reliability (see consumer reports for the past ~10 years on 4-runners, consistently great. A comment about off-roading- you probably didn't see many toyotas there, because it was a JEEP rally! There are many organizations/clubs for Tacomas and 4-runners, and they usually do their on jamborees.