Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Newb's reflection after 2 months of ownership*LONG w/ lots of Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb's reflection after 2 months of ownership*LONG w/ lots of Pics*

**Updated with a-arm clearance pics in post# 24**
I purchased my 99 E-locked, 5sd, 4Runner on the 16th of Feb from a member on here. This is my first Toyota and I have learned an incredible amount after only two months of ownership. Thanks a lot to everyone on these forums for contributing to such a vast knowledgebase.

Here's a rundown of my journey so far. I picked the truck up on 21 Feb 07 in Flint, Michigan and drove it back to Pennsylvania. It was a perfect time to get acquainted with my new truck. On the drive back, I noticed a shimmy in the steering wheel and once home I diagnosed that to be the front passenger side inner tie-rod end. So, I ordered the part but when it arrived I found that they mailed me the outer tie-rod. I decided to just keep the outer tie-rod, order the correct inner, and replace the whole thing. Install went smooth on the tie-rod, but I then noticed that the front brake pads were in need of being replaced as well. Once again, I ordered the parts. The correct pads arrived and I went to installing them. Driver?s side pads went in fine, but when installing the passenger side I found one of the inner pistons on the caliper to be seized. I tried to c-clamp it to see if I could break it free but could not. So, I went to the local parts store and found that they had a OEM refurbished caliper in stock. I bought that and finished my brake install with ease.

After the tie-rod end install I took the truck to get it aligned. Since the tie-rod was bad for an undetermined amount of time, the shimmy in the front tires caused the front tires to begin cupping. The alignment shop rotated the tires and attempted to align the truck. They did as good a job as they could, but with the cupped tires in the back the back end shimmied instead of the front. You know what that means?new tires!

The tires on the truck when I bought it were 265/75/16 Dunlop Mud Rovers. I wanted to fit a bigger tire and try something new, so I searched and searched before finding the tires that I wanted. I ordered a set of 285/75/16 Maxxis Bighorn?s on eBay for $530 shipped. I was nervous when I went to have them installed as I wasn?t sure that they would clear, but they went on fine. So far so good. No rubbing at all. I am totally impressed with these tires so far. At least with their on-road manners. I haven?t had the opportunity to take them off-road yet.

Next thing to address was the stock stereo. It didn?t sound very good with the 4-5 year old Pioneer head-unit and the stock speakers. I replaced the old Pioneer deh-1600 with a newer Pioneer deh-80mp. The front doors were replaced with Polk db675?s and the rear doors were replaced with Polk db525?s. 100% improvement! The only thing it lacked was good bass. Back to eBay I went. I found a JBL 12? sub (400 watts rms) in a Q-logic box for $60 shipped, and a small Kicker amp for $34 shipped. When everything arrived I hooked it all up and was amazed how much better it sounded. Another accomplishment checked off the list.

In conclusion, I love my truck more and more everyday. There are just a few more areas that I need to address and I will finally be finished. Next up is a 1? body lift (ordered today!) and frame mounted bumpers. Thanks again to everyone for contributing to a great forum so that newb?s like me have somewhere to look for advice.

Here are the details on my truck and the pics!

99 4Runner
115,000 miles
5 sd
E-locker
Fabtech coilovers in the front w/ Fabtech shocks and LC coils in the back
Deckplate mod, and custom 2.5? exhaust
Hella 500?s mounted on the front bumper

Last edited by MATT0404; 04-19-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:36 AM

now thats a real nice truck w/ tasteful mods!

did you put those bighorn tires on w/ the lift or stock? curious if they fit stock (i doubt it but thought i'd ask)
Old 04-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice find...I know you will enjoy it.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tark
now thats a real nice truck w/ tasteful mods!

did you put those bighorn tires on w/ the lift or stock? curious if they fit stock (i doubt it but thought i'd ask)
Thanks! I bought the truck with the current lift, so tires went on after.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:14 AM

That's one tough looking rig. Nice job.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Nice looking rig! It sounds like you really dig the Bighorns and they do look pretty sweet. I'm seriously considering them when I need tires this fall. How much a arm clearance are you getting with them? We have the same wheels, but I have a 2.5" spacer lift instead of the coilovers. Nice to know they'll clear!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Very nice looking rig!

Just be warned -- You'll NEVER be done with it!
Old 04-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
real nice you should move the locker switch to where the clutch cancel switch is makes its better to get at when you need it also have you done the locker mod
Old 04-18-2007, 03:41 PM

nice i'm a newb too and looking to buy my first 4runner and toyota in the coming months thanks for your story
Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 PM

I had a chance to pick up a '97 5spd E-locked 4Runner.. But my parents talked me out of it, they said I needed a truck and that the 4Runner was too "family".. Everyday I look at my truck and I realize that I cant really sit more then two people comfortably, I dont have rear locker, and I never put anything into the box.. It sucks, but it's really not too bad beside the squeaky TO bearing which I might have had to deal with anyway.. But man, I wish I bought that 4Runner, and I resent my parents for talking me out of it and I resent myself even more for letting them do it (only a little though, haha).

Cheers!
Old 04-18-2007, 04:16 PM

Thanks for all of your comments everyone!

emptypockets: I have about 1/4 in. clearance on the a-arms. I'll take a pic tomorrow to show you exactly. I really do like the bighorns so far. They ride smoother, and are quieter than the replaced Dunlops.

Elton: If you are referring to the mod where you can lock the rear in 2wd, I do have that done. I might consider relocating switch.

breknraj: I am coming to the realization that even when I say I'll be finished, I won't be. It's the nature of the game. I've gone through it now for 3 years with my Subarus.

Last edited by MATT0404; 04-18-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ornery
I had a chance to pick up a '97 5spd E-locked 4Runner.. But my parents talked me out of it, they said I needed a truck and that the 4Runner was too "family".. Everyday I look at my truck and I realize that I cant really sit more then two people comfortably, I dont have rear locker, and I never put anything into the box.. It sucks, but it's really not too bad beside the squeaky TO bearing which I might have had to deal with anyway.. But man, I wish I bought that 4Runner, and I resent my parents for talking me out of it and I resent myself even more for letting them do it (only a little though, haha).

Cheers!
I went through that debate too, but the 5sp, e-locked 4runners are too rare for me to pass one up.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yep 5spd plus a locker is awesome i didint have to look for mine heres a pic of where my locker switch is now
Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 PM

Nice 4runner and good job finding one with the rear locker. Im jealous I looked at probable 5 or 6 4runners before I bought mine but no of them had the rear locker. Good job on the find.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
yep 5spd plus a locker is awesome i didint have to look for mine heres a pic of where my locker switch is now
Seems to be much more accessible over there instead of being behind the steering tilt lever. Looks like I may have something to keep me busy tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Very clean...how much lift do you have? If I read the sidewall right those are 285's...how the heck did you clear em with the A-Arm? I had to swap my Limited 5-spokes out with the Lexus LX450 Rims in order to clear.

I like how you kept it nice and subtle yet very capable and rugged looking.

Nice work,

Fink
Old 04-18-2007, 07:40 PM

Nice runner exactly how I want mine, you're lucky you found the locked one though. It was hard enough for me to find a 5spd.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:52 PM

Very nice rig! Love the look! And great pics too! They're as good as any shots you might see in an automotive magazine.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:18 AM

Wow..great find and sweet lookin Runner...if i ever traded up that's definately what i'd look for! Clean lookin rig and rugged too.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Really awesome truck!!!!!!

but then again I might be biased.

Quick Reply: Newb's reflection after 2 months of ownership*LONG w/ lots of Pics*