Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Newbie needs advice...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs advice...

I am kind of new to the Toyota community and have a few questions. I just purchased a 2004 Tacoma xtra cab and unfortunately, I dont take delivery until the end of the month. I was rather picky about the color combinations and they had to locate one out of state. In the meantime, I have been looking at what my aftermarket options are for the truck and even after doing some searches, I need some advice.

First, I want to throw the TRD blower on the truck and I see that they now offer the 7th injector kit. Underdog also has a solution with their fuel sysem upgrade. Which is better? They are both about the same price, so that's not an issue. I'm not new to the boost addiction, I have a supercharged BMW M3 making 321 rwhp and a big part of my success with that car comes from the Aquamist system. I plan on adding this and wondered if anyone is running this system on their Taco and what your spraying. I use a 50/50 mix of methanol to distilled water in the M3 and it works VERY well.

Second, should i get the TRD tranny cooler package or is there something better out there?

Third, Is there a good vendor website or magazine that focuses on the Toyota community?

Fourth, I am thinking of doing a mild lift on the truck. I am partial to the Fabtech coilovers but not sure if its that much better than a less expensive kits with spacers. Any thoughts?

This looks like a great forum and is loaded with all sorts of information. Hopefully I can contribute something one day, lol....
Old 03-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Banned

I wish I could help, but I'm kind of clueless - just wanted to say WELCOME! And don't worry, I joined a long while ago and I still don't really contribute anything useful. Yet they let me stay!!

The only thing I know of that might help you are the following links:

http://www.daystarweb.com
http://www.revtek.com

Both of those companies make high quality spacers for lifting your truck. They are inexpensive ways of just getting a little lift.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Many say that the 7th and cooler plugs are a band-aid to the lean out. To me it looks like you get a lot more from URD, and I'd say go with that.

For transmissions you will want a cooler and a valve body upgrade.
First check out Gadget's little writeup on Transmission upgrades and on his supercharger , Then go to Level 10's website and also Import Performance Transmission's website

For lift check out Xtreme Offroad's site

*Edit* There's a thread or two about water injection around here too, I just cant find it

Last edited by Mossback74; 03-17-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:47 PM

I don't know much about superchargers but the URD kit seems to get positive remarks on the TTORA forum. Also, check the lift FAQ for some of your options.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.gadgetonline.com
Old 03-18-2004, 08:28 PM

I recently installed the URD fuel mods and love them. I went with URD because of the great reviews and some of the comparisons I read on TTora.com. It's also nice having Gadget on the forum and awesome customer service available. Gadget and Brian went out of their way to help me straighten out a situation I had with my mechanic. I would imagine that TRD's customer service can't compare. If you enjoy messing around with stuff and tweaking your fuel trims, the FTC is great. However, one deciding factor for many people is that TRD's kit keeps your truck completely under warranty. I am not worried about having any problems with the URD kit which is why I didn't particularly care about this issue. Also keep in mind that URD kit requires a pretty good amount more work than the 7th injector kit to install (more money if installed by a mechanic). It would be ideal to do the URD kit and the supercharger at the same time so that you don't have to basically reinstall the supercharger when you install the other fuel mods (like I did of course).

I would also recommend getting a valve body upgrade through IPT like Mossback mentioned above for both better performance and so that you don't trash your tranny with the added power. Their customer service also seems great and I have read nothing but good reviews. I plan on getting mine sent off to be worked most likely some time next week.

For some more added power it's important to let the S/C breathe as much as possible...A good cat-back exhaust system and some quality headers such as TRD or Edelbrock would do the trick.

Oh...and WELCOME to yotatech. I've been reading the forum for a while now but only contribute occasionally. I think you'll find it extremely helpful!

David
Old 03-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the help guys... I never thought about the warranty issues I could possibly run into with the Underdog setup. I will have to think about it in the next week before I take delivery of the truck. Decisions...