Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Newbie buying a 4Runner questions (after searching)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie buying a 4Runner questions (after searching)

I'm a newbie to the 4Runner world, but I'm leaning heavily on making it my next vehicle. The only other contender is a Grand Cherokee (flame on!) I'm looking at 1996 - 2000ish based on my max price of 18k - with 15k where I'd really like to end up. I have had several jeeps and enjoy offroading, but will need to keep the 4Runner primarily as a daily driver. I may do a mild lift and some slightly larger tires and will likely run mild trails (mild meaning body damage risk is LOW) I would very much like to get one with a rear diff lock, but may have to settle for one without. I have a few questions for the forum:

1) What year was VSC an option?
What exactly is VSC?
2) What years have/need center diff locks? I'm assuming this is in conjunction with a full-time 4WD system?
3) How common are the rear diff locks? Are there particular years/models that the rear diff locks are more common in?
4) I read about the head gasket issue for 96-mid 97s and the rear spring recalls, are their any other 4Runner 'demons' I should be looking out for?
5) Are certain years favored over others?
6) Were there any major interior improvements during these years? (I would like for it to look as modern as possible.
7) I'm leaning on an auto - any problems with the auto tranny in these years?

Any other general advice is greatly appreciated. TIA - Chris
Old 05-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Go here to find out some history on the 4Runner i.e. the locker and such. The headgasket problem that was on the 96 and 97 was different from the famed headgasket problem on the older 3.0's. This problem wasn't internal and therefore was a lot less of a problem. I have a 96 and haven't had a problem with the headgasket at all. The 99 with the rear locker seems to be the one to get, because in '00 they lowered the suspension a little to deal with rollover issues and 99 seems to be the tallest from the factory as opposed to all the other year models. I think 99 was the year they changed the interior around a little and moved the cupholders out of the way of the air conditioning controls. Good luck with your search and please save yourself a headache and stay away from the Heeps.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/runhist3.html

Read away...
Old 05-27-2004, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the Toy over the JGC. I bought a 2000 JGC (used and cheap) and can't wait to dump the POS.

The 99+ had a better interior/dash layout than the 96-98 IMHO. Others will help you with the other stuff...
Old 05-27-2004, 10:54 AM

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the input. The only reason I'm considering a Grand Cherokee is because I can get a newer one with fewer miles than a similarly priced 4Runner. And yeah - there's probably a reason for that.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:15 AM

99 and 00 models have very dangerous lying fuel gauges. All models have warped brake rotors, leaking axle seals and crappy shocks.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:36 AM

UnHappy99 - So I'm guessing you aren't happy with your '99? Is the fuel gauge issue covered under a factory recall? What axle seals are you talking about? Shocks I'm not too worried about.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:02 PM

No, I am not particularly pleased with my 99. It has had better than $2000 of repairs in two years due to factory defects and continues to blink lights on the dash every few months. Compared to my 87 4Runner, which had $600 in unscheduled maintenance over 14 years and 190,000 miles, and you can understand why I am disappointed.

There is a TSB (EL-010) on the lying fuel gauges, not a recall. There would be a recall if Toyota and its dealers knew the difference between right and wrong. They don't. But what can you expect from a company who continues to fight defective head gaskets and sludged engines?

Case in point, Audi voluntarily recalled their lying fuel gauges knowing it is a safety issue. Say you're driving along a busy freeway with 1/2 tank of fuel and, with no warning, the engine dies. Power steering goes away, power brakes go away, speed drops quickly, wrecks happen. And if not on a busy freeway, then you get stranded in the middle of nowhere with no cell phone signal.

Rear inner axle seals for many years wear prematurely and leak. I highly recommend NAPA (not Toyota) replacement seals. A quick search in this forum returns many examples. There are also several posts citing bent axles, which may be the source of the leaking seals. And no, these bent axles are not abused, they are simply weak from the factory.

From what I read, seems as a whole lot of these 4Runners also come with crappy dealer service departments as well. Not surprising, the dealers here generally use the more colorful definition of 'service' with regards to their customers.