Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New vibration.

Ok, Ive been reading for a while tonight and it seems that 4Runners have vibration problems. I have a new rack/pinion. That helped alot. Im gonna get new sway bar bushings too. I only get a slight vibration when hitting bad bumps now.

My new concern is my new tires and wheels. I have 265-75-16 Pro Comp A/Ts on Pro Comp steel wheels. I went from 265-70-16s on stock wheels to these. My 4Runner had no vibrations at high speeds with the stockers. Now, with my new tires and wheels, I have a high speed vibration. My question is that this would definitely be caused by the wheels and tires right? Since there was no problem with the others. Would getting them balanced by a Toyota dealership help with aftermarket wheels too? I was reading about a Hawkey or something adapter that is needed for Toyotas. Is that for stock wheels or aftermarket wheels? Im hoping that getting them balanced by TOyota and a new set of bushings for the sway bars will fix all my problems (except for my brakes ). Those are very near future too.

BTW, Anyone know or a steering stabilizer made for 3rd Gens?
Old 11-14-2008, 09:01 PM

I would go back to the tire shop who mounted and balanced the wheels and tires first. You paid to have them balanced correctly, I'd have them double check their work before paying some else to do it again.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 PM

i ordered them from 4wheel parts. the closest one to me is bout 1.5 hours. itd be cheaper to have toyota do it since theyre like 5 mins away.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:14 PM

i might call 4wheel parts and see if theyll credit me for having them done somewhere else. a ATV place did that for us. dennis kirk if any of yall ride and know that place. good people there. but anyway, ill see if i can just send them a receipt or something.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 PM

Anyone else have any idea on what to do?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:15 PM

When is this vibration? All the time? When braking? You stated you had a vibration after hitting a bump. Can you describe the the sensation.

Check the wheel balance first as they seemed to exacerbate the problem. You should also check the rod ends & wheel bearings as these will be under increased stress from the larger tires. If you're getting some kind of vibration from large bumps, you might need springs & shocks.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:33 PM

the high speed vibration occurs almost all the time. sometimes its not there but it is most of the time. thats why i think its a wheel out of balance. if im going and go around a slight turn the severeness of the vibration will increase or decrease. its like they come to a place where they balance themselves out and then go back out.

the one when i hit bumps is like the steering wheel shaking for a second. i have had my front end checked and my rack replaced. i figure that the 2 shops that looked at it and checked it would have told me if anything else was bad. the more wrong the more $ for them. i do need new shocks and springs. i hope thats it cause im gonna get a OME setup soon so ill kill 2 birds with one stone.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by B. Graves
the high speed vibration occurs almost all the time. sometimes its not there but it is most of the time. thats why i think its a wheel out of balance. if im going and go around a slight turn the severeness of the vibration will increase or decrease. its like they come to a place where they balance themselves out and then go back out.

the one when i hit bumps is like the steering wheel shaking for a second. i have had my front end checked and my rack replaced. i figure that the 2 shops that looked at it and checked it would have told me if anything else was bad. the more wrong the more $ for them. i do need new shocks and springs. i hope thats it cause im gonna get a OME setup soon so ill kill 2 birds with one stone.
The high speed vibration is most likely wheel balance or or tire/wheel out of round.

The one where you hit a bump is probably worn springs & shocks. Look at the rubber bump stop on the control arm. The stop that the rubber contacts is probably clean & shiny. That means that you are bouncing off the bump stops too easily. This will cause the steering to jerk & shake.

Don't forget to check the tire pressure. The shop where I got mine left them at 65psi when they should be 28-30psi. Also your new tires are stiffer & heavier then the originals which will make the ride rougher & give you more "road feel". They will also make weak springs & shocks more apparent.

Paul
Old 11-22-2008, 07:49 AM

Dude, I had this same problem- and after money spent on alignment, wheel balance, suspension checks, new Struts and Shocks- tuned out my Tranny mounts were bad. 30 bucks and about 30 minutes to replace myself.Solved my issue. It was BAD at speeds of over 60 MPH, and as soon as the tranny mouts were replaced it was like a new truckagain.

Good luck- it's cheap, so just replace them if you've gt high mileage on the truck..