Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Truck, Questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck, Questions!

I just bought an '02 Taco and have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer. And before anyone attacks me with the search engine, I've searched and found answers to some of the things I wanted to know and not to others.

The truck came with a K&N air filter and he gave me the paper filter. I removed the K&N and put the paper filter back in. I had a 2000 Celica GT-S and ran a cone type oiled filter and the MAF sensor was always filthy. I am now thinking after lots of reading here that I over-oiled it. BUT! I am now a little hesitant to use another one. What do you guys think? Should I fork out the money for a new paper filer (it needs replacing) or buy the cleaning kit for the K&N?

Also, I am about to change the oil. The prior (original) owner babied this thing and had it done at a good shop who made sure the chasis was lubed. I only know this because I can see where the driveline was done. I am trying to find a reference for EVERYTHING that needs lubricating on this truck (3.4L TRD). Can anyone help me out here?

Lastly, I've noticed it takes a few good turns to finally crank up. Is this normal for a 90k mile 3.4L? Do you think maybe I should try cleaning the TB and MAF? Or might it be something else? It isn't bad, just more turning over than I'm used to. Maybe it's just a low compression motor?

I think that's it for now! Thanks to anyone who can help this newb out!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:07 AM

I think your going to first off you'll get thrashed because you didn't post any pics? As far as the filter, just use whatever makes it easy for you. If you don't want to screw with cleaning the MAF then put the regular one back in. As long as you don't use low quality parts, I think you'll be ok. I would also get a FSM, that'll tell you where every zerk is, and everything that's recommended.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 AM

Is an FSM a service manual?

I've got some pics, I'll have to get them online.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
like Frodin said pics are a must do for a newbies to get answers..just kidding..welcome to Yotatech... I had the K&N intake on my '05 for about 5K miles, ended up selling it because the MAF was getting trashed..others will tell you different. The stock paper filter is not that much IMO. Buy that and than clean your K&N and see if you noticed much of a difference.

here is a link to an online FSM. I downloaded the '05 version to CD so now I just take out my laptop and have the pictures right there..I think the stuff for '02 Tacos is the 4th one down...
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 AM

Yes, Factory Service manual, sorry I should have clarified that.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:26 AM

As for the K&N, I run one in my tacoma. Everytime i re-oil the filter, I clean the MAF using CRC quick dry electronic cleaner. I think i read it on 4x4 wire or something.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:34 PM

I just finished cleaning the MAF sensor and the throttle body. I also changed the air filter and checked the PCV valve. In the morning I am going to change the oil and check some of the fluids (under the hood). I want to eventually drain the tranny and coolant and the diffs/x-case. This thing is in such good shape, everything looks brand new.

Here's a pic after playing last weekend.

EDIT: Hmmm, seems like I can't hyperlink to pics so here's the link.

Picture

Last edited by sulaco; 08-03-2007 at 05:35 PM.