Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Springs 101

Old 02-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Springs 101

I have a 2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.4V6 4X4
and i'm looking to add a suspension lift.

I want to keep the rear from sagging and be able to carry heavier loads in the back.

Most of my driving is on road. Just looking to fit a little bigger tire and eventually to go up a tire size and get something like this - BFG AT KO 265/75/R16...

I'm not trying to break the bank but want to get away from the factory look
can anyone post some links where to get started and what to buy for this mod.

Thanks!
-JON

Last edited by frohbego; 02-05-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:39 PM

Tons of info via search. But generally speaking, get an OME set up.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:48 PM

thanks.. actually just learning the terminology..

i'm defiantly look for a suspension lift.

i took a link at these links -

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?opt...d=71&Itemid=53

and

http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_co...tml#System_3.0

not reay sure what to go for or what i actually need to buy. Any idea how much labor is to have installed?

Thanks. very exciting!

Last edited by frohbego; 02-05-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:06 PM

IF you just want the sagging rear/load capacity, then i'd say go ome coils. the 890's are stiffer than stock, and will give you ~2.5" lift. i have the 891's which are stiffer still, and they aren't stiff at all imo. pair em with the 881's or 882's w/ topout spacer in the front and you should be nice w/ 265's. an average joe should be able to do the rear in less than half an hour w/ hand tools....took me all of 10-15 minutes. the fronts are a bit more tricky, but if you can remove the strut assembly, which is pretty easy, and have a shop compress the new springs on, you should be good to go. cheapest quote i got around my area was $40 to have the springs compressed on. you can save a lot of time/money by doing it yourself that way. if you want to do everything yourself, get a GOOD spring compressor...even the snap-on one i was using to do mine was flexing like crazy to compress my 882's
Old 02-07-2009, 07:32 AM

So i'm still trying to decided what my best option is. And what exact parts i need to order.

I want to bring up the rear and be able to get larger tires.

So whats my best bet -

http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?opt...d=71&Itemid=53

or

http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_co...tml#System_3.0

if you could post what i should order id greatly appreciate it.

On the toyteclifts site do i just need front and rear coils and some spacers?

if i do with the sonoransteel 3.0 is that all i need?

Thanks. Sorry for being such a newbie

-JON
Old 02-07-2009, 02:45 PM

sonoran 3.0 will "probably" raise your truck 1" atmost. this going to be close to stock which is something you mentioned you want to get away from. 265/76-16 is going to be a tight fit with this since you are basically going to a 32" tire with 1" lift.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like my set-up, therefore I will recommend it, but I have heard that the Sonoransteel lift are great, just a little more $$$. I'm running 265/70/r17 which are the same size as 265/75/r16.

Springs = OME 881's in front, OME 906's in the back (OME 890's will jack you back end higher than the front)
If you do go with 890's you will want to add spacers and a diff drop to the front, and a panhard bracket in the back.

Shocks OME N91SC in front, OME N86C in back
Old 02-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for 265/75R16 (32") tires, i would go for the sonoran steel system 7.2.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by frohbego
Just looking to fit a little bigger tire and eventually to go up a tire size and get something like this - BFG AT KO 265/75/R16...
You don't need a lift for that size tire. I just put 265/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my stock 2002.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KZN185W
for 265/75R16 (32") tires, i would go for the sonoran steel system 7.2.
For 265/76/16's i'd go with no lift, you dont need it to fit them.

If your wanting a lift and you don't want to add any heavy crap like bumpers, sliders, a winch, etc.

Bilstein adjustables with ome881's up front and 890's in the rear.

How much weight do you actually carry? With my 891's fully loaded to the brim i may sag like an inch, and thats stuffed to the top completely packed full.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Contributing Member

he's got the low-rider 2002. i think he needs a lift with 32" tires.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:04 AM

What it comes down to is how much lift you actually want. If you're looking at using 265's, a 1-2" lift would be fine. My goal was to clear 285's, so I went with a 3-4" lift. Up front, I'm using OME 882 coils with OME N91SC comfort valved shocks. Out back, I'm using the shorter Land Cruiser coils with some junk Rancho RS500 shocks (soon to be replaced with OME's). The result: 3" up front and 3.75" in the rear after everything has sagged. Check out my rig in the Community forum under 3rd gens and see if that's what you're looking for, or click the link in my sig. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...runner-121777/

I went with a very mild 2" suspension lift from ToyTec. I'm running 265/75 MTs. Take the info here but also call ToyTec and ask them their opinion. They are extremely helpful and can put something together that fits your need.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM

to 89-4run

89-4run just sent you an message/email.. Hope you get it..

I really like that setup you have. I think a 2 inch lift is plenty. what if i wanted to add a little more of a lift to he back end?

thanks for the other posts.. all have been very helpful!
-JON

Last edited by frohbego; 02-10-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 AM

"the ome 890 coils give 2.5-3 inches of lift. that would give you a little stink bug effect."

so i need these for the rear - http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53
Rear OME 890 Coils (96-02 4Run)

What about the front?
Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 AM

First a little disclosure: I personally know and wheel with Steve Schaefer of Sonoran Steel so I might be a little biased in my opinion. That said, I would go with his 7.2 system. It will do what you want, work properly, and look cool too. If you decide down the road to go more agressive he will help you convert up to the 1.2 system. I also think you could go with the 3.0 if you want to. It will get your bigger tires in there with no fuss and if that is really all you want to do, it will keep you lower as well which is good thing in terms of COG issues.

So you kind of need to decide what you want. Just to fit bigger tires? Or get away from the factory look? The 3.0 will look pretty factory. It will look big to you at first compared to your pre lift appearance, but won't look remarkably bigger than other 3rd gens as a whole.

I don't know much about Toytec other than the fact that a fair number of folks run their stuff and I haven't heard any complaints. I'll have to leave it to those that actually own their stuff to chime in. My shopper's opinion though, in comparing Toytec "Ultimate Lift" and SS System 7.2, is that you don't really know what you're getting with the Toytec. Yes Bilstein front shocks and OME 890 rear coils, but no idea what that front coil is or the top plate. The rear shocks brand isn't named, and you don't get bump stops. With SS you know you are getting Bilstein shocks all around, OME coils in the rear, genuine Toyota coils in the front, and much improved bumpstops which is a component often overlooked in suspension. As to your question about needing anything else, Steve's lifts are complete. He does mention the possibility of replacing the top plate to the front coil assembly as long as you have it apart anyway. Sounds as if it's recommended but optional.

Finally, whoever you go with, I would recommend the kit. A lot of guys on these boards say they cobbled together something alot cheaper from several suppliers, but I'm betting many of them are missing an important component or don't really have what they think they have. Just on shipping alone you can probably save a fair amount by combining several items together.

My 2 cents. OK. Pimp mode off.
Sorry.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by frohbego
"the ome 890 coils give 2.5-3 inches of lift. that would give you a little stink bug effect."

so i need these for the rear - http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53
Rear OME 890 Coils (96-02 4Run)

What about the front?
The ToyTec coilovers are sweet up front!!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Thumbs up Toytec lifts

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
First a little disclosure: I personally know and wheel with Steve Schaefer of Sonoran Steel so I might be a little biased in my opinion. That said, I would go with his 7.2 system. It will do what you want, work properly, and look cool too. If you decide down the road to go more agressive he will help you convert up to the 1.2 system. I also think you could go with the 3.0 if you want to. It will get your bigger tires in there with no fuss and if that is really all you want to do, it will keep you lower as well which is good thing in terms of COG issues.

So you kind of need to decide what you want. Just to fit bigger tires? Or get away from the factory look? The 3.0 will look pretty factory. It will look big to you at first compared to your pre lift appearance, but won't look remarkably bigger than other 3rd gens as a whole.

I don't know much about Toytec other than the fact that a fair number of folks run their stuff and I haven't heard any complaints. I'll have to leave it to those that actually own their stuff to chime in. My shopper's opinion though, in comparing Toytec "Ultimate Lift" and SS System 7.2, is that you don't really know what you're getting with the Toytec. Yes Bilstein front shocks and OME 890 rear coils, but no idea what that front coil is or the top plate. The rear shocks brand isn't named, and you don't get bump stops. With SS you know you are getting Bilstein shocks all around, OME coils in the rear, genuine Toyota coils in the front, and much improved bumpstops which is a component often overlooked in suspension. As to your question about needing anything else, Steve's lifts are complete. He does mention the possibility of replacing the top plate to the front coil assembly as long as you have it apart anyway. Sounds as if it's recommended but optional.

Finally, whoever you go with, I would recommend the kit. A lot of guys on these boards say they cobbled together something alot cheaper from several suppliers, but I'm betting many of them are missing an important component or don't really have what they think they have. Just on shipping alone you can probably save a fair amount by combining several items together.

My 2 cents. OK. Pimp mode off.
Sorry.

First off, ToyTec use's eibach springs that are designed to work with our Coilover kits. Just like any other spring, we have chosen a spring that works well for the weight of the vehicle. Second, the top plate spacer is manufactured by US. The rear shocks are Procomp shocks. [website will be updated]
Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Sonoran Steel used Genuine Toyota Coils and Bilstein 5125 Shocks.

ALSO Sonoran Steel is a TOYTEC Dealer. I can sell you anything they have as well.

You can get my stuff and the entire ToyTec catalog in one call.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KZN185W
he's got the low-rider 2002. i think he needs a lift with 32" tires.
I was running 265/75/R16 (32") on my stock low-rider 2002 long before (3 years) I installed my lift, and had no rubbing issues, except a very mild rub occasionally at full stuff and full lock (at the same time... which is rare).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Springs 101