Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Sound System Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Sound System Install

I'm planning to install my system pretty soon, and I need to know how to take off the heater control panel off of the center console. I have a 3rd gen, but the dials differ from SLC punk's '97 runner since mine is a '00. The thing doesn't out nearly as easy as I thought it would. It felt like it was gonna snap in half when I tried to muscle it out, but I didn't want to break it. Is there a speacial way to take it out? It seems as it catches on the side and hold the panel in. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:05 PM

if its anything like mine (04 tacoma) there were about 5 screws and then there were metal snaps that you just had to tug on. when in doubt just go to toyota and they will tell ya. they do it all the time. thats what my friend did with his tundra
Old 02-27-2004, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mean04Tacoma
if its anything like mine (04 tacoma) there were about 5 screws and then there were metal snaps that you just had to tug on. when in doubt just go to toyota and they will tell ya. they do it all the time. thats what my friend did with his tundra
I'm actually talking about the little heater panel...just the thin plastic were the heater controls are. Thanks for the tip though, if I don't get any more responses by tonight, I'll just head over to toyota tomorrow...yay! T omorrow's my birthday!
Old 02-27-2004, 07:16 PM

This piece...but for a 2000 with the dial versions.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

Off-topic:

Hey Jay, long time no see - I hope things are going well with you!
Old 02-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

My 98 is similar to SLC's 97 except there are two turn knobs for the temp and fan control instead of the sliding ones and if youre 00 is similar (in that the appearance is slightly difffernt) you should just be able do the same as in the writeup. The plastic piece is pretty durable so you just need to apply a little muscle. I just took the knobs off, and stuck my fingers in both and pulled, carefully but with some force.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:02 PM

Yeah, what henry said...then there are some screws under the plate that you have to take out.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:51 PM

Yeah, that plastic panel just pops right off - I have a pick set that includes a tool that bends 90 degrees - I just inserted it and pulled it off. Piece of cake, just be firm but gentle and it'll come off.

~Bill
Old 03-07-2004, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the responses, but after taking apart the dash, I found out that the heater panel did not need to come out for the 2000 4runner. Unfortunately, I snapped the little hook loops that hold it in, :pat: but it doesn't affect how firmly it's held in. However, I was able to take it out of my parent's 98 runner without breaking it, and it did require to be taken out along with the screws. Check out the pictures:

All I need to do is pull off the whole console without removing the heater panel.

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Off-topic:

Hey Jay, long time no see - I hope things are going well with you!
Thanks, Peter! I'm doing good, how about yourself? I hope things are going well with you, too!
Attached Thumbnails New Sound System Install-yotatech.jpg  

Last edited by Javin028; 03-07-2004 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:33 AM

After reading some other posts, I'm a little confused. Are there any other amps in the 4runner other than the one in the stock head unit? If I wire my cda-9811 with a wiring harness, will i be using the 9811's amp or one connected at the other end of the wiring harness? I have the stock sound system and not the "premium" one.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Er im not sure whats the difference between the premium and regular sound systems but if you have a small external amp with the head unit, you take both out and plug your headunit directly to the factory wiring without the factory amp.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:55 PM

No other amps besides the one behind the HU. I have a '99 limited, if that helps.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:16 AM

CRAP! So after taking my time to make nice brackets for the rear speakers, I find out that termites had eaten through the wood. I had already sanded everything down, ready to seal the wood...I went to take a break and when I came back, I found 2 termites crawling out. Now I gotta start all over with some fresh wood.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Javin028
Thanks for the responses, but after taking apart the dash, I found out that the heater panel did not need to come out for the 2000 4runner. Unfortunately, I snapped the little hook loops that hold it in, :pat: but it doesn't affect how firmly it's held in. However, I was able to take it out of my parent's 98 runner without breaking it, and it did require to be taken out along with the screws. Check out the pictures:
Oops sorry I didn't reply earlier, I knew that the 99+ didn't need the heater control taken out. Sorry about my late response, :pat:
After reading some other posts, I'm a little confused. Are there any other amps in the 4runner other than the one in the stock head unit? If I wire my cda-9811 with a wiring harness, will i be using the 9811's amp or one connected at the other end of the wiring harness? I have the stock sound system and not the "premium" one.
Toyota abandoned the external amps with their newer stereo's. What does the harness look like? Can you take a pic and I can tell you if it goes to an external amp or if it is the main stereo harness.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

CRAP! So after taking my time to make nice brackets for the rear speakers, I find out that termites had eaten through the wood. I had already sanded everything down, ready to seal the wood...I went to take a break and when I came back, I found 2 termites crawling out. Now I gotta start all over with some fresh wood.
That sucks! Does that mean that you have terminates in your garage?
Old 03-11-2004, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SLC Punk
Oops sorry I didn't reply earlier, I knew that the 99+ didn't need the heater control taken out. Sorry about my late response, :pat:

Toyota abandoned the external amps with their newer stereo's. What does the harness look like? Can you take a pic and I can tell you if it goes to an external amp or if it is the main stereo harness.
Heh, no biggie. I already have the head unit installed...and for the termites, I'm gonna have to investigate later on today. Here's a pic of the head unit (9811).

I'll post more later, I gotta pick up my girlfriend right now.
Thanks again for all the resposes.
Attached Thumbnails New Sound System Install-temp.jpg  
Old 03-12-2004, 06:02 PM

I installed my amp today, and I ran into yet another problem. My amp wouldn't power on, but after using a volt meter, I found the fuse to be faulty. I have another question for you guys with systems. Where did your run your power wire through the firewall? Has anyone run it through the rubber grommet with the rest of the wires? And if yes, how so? Did you fit it in the hole with the other wires or poke a new hole?
Old 03-12-2004, 07:56 PM

I installed my amp today, and I ran into yet another problem. My amp wouldn't power on, but after using a volt meter, I found the fuse to be faulty. I have another question for you guys with systems. Where did your run your power wire through the firewall? Has anyone run it through the rubber grommet with the rest of the wires? And if yes, how so? Did you fit it in the hole with the other wires or poke a new hole?
Mine was ran through that grommet that you are talking about. I just cut a somewhat large slit (very carefully through the existing hole) in the rubber grommet and shoved the wire through enough to pull it through from the inside. It wasn't too difficult at all, and easier than drilling a large hole through the firewall IMO. Good luck and post some pics, I'd like to see your progress.

Old 03-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, Peter! I'm doing good, how about yourself? I hope things are going well with you, too!
Hey dude, we should meet up for lunch sometime!
Old 03-13-2004, 08:17 AM

Here's some pics of my progress:

I still have to clean up the wires to the amp.
Attached Thumbnails New Sound System Install-system-work-1.jpg  

Last edited by Javin028; 03-13-2004 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: New Sound System Install