Old 08-17-2003, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Skid Plate Announcement

Please check out the new TrailCarnage Toyota Skid Plates

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-18-2003, 05:52 PM

There is just something about that skid plate poised on a rock all by its self that just does not look right. It looks lonely.

Now the attached picture is a little bit better if you ask me.

I have been working with Tom at Trail Carnage for sometime now to work out the kinks in his plate design and I think he has done it. It is a very nice design and there is NOTHING else out there like it ANYWHERE.

I got the final prototype plate last week and threw a quick coat of rattle can on it and gave it a good test this last weekend. I was ripping through a stream and then WHAM! I smacked right into a big ass bolder with the skid plate. It was a very solid hit and had me a tad worried. Once I got out of the stream I checked the plate and NO divits at all. Later on the way back through the stream I got a close look at that bolder and saw a large black mark on it that matched my shade of rattle can paint perfectly. Man it was a big bolder.

Later, I was crossing a gulley. The guy in front of me destroyed his stock skid on the climb out. Mine hit the same spot and ramped up the skid plate and out I went. Very solid indeed.

What makes this so strong is the reinforcements in the front ramp part and the mounting to the frame where the stock plate mounts. That makes everything very rock solid and nothing bent at all.

Another thing that helps in the strenght department is the tail of the plate is bolted to the rear underbelly skid that I already got from him. He planned ahead on this. This helps spread the impact forces rearward. When the front of the plate contacts somethign hard it wants to be shoved backwards. By bolting it to the rear skid a lot of that force is transferred to the rear plate and cross members.

Like I said I have spent hours talking to Tom about this design and I know there was a lot of engineering that went into it. All the load forces are spread out to mulitple points so that no one point will be over stressed or frame mounting points.

I think Tom did a good job on this one. There is only one small thing that needs to be address and he has assured me that he is on top of it. That is the bolt heads on the tail of the plate where it mounts to the frame and the rear plate needs some kind of protection. He has something very nice in the works and all of the production plates will have it.

I feel very comfortable in saying that this skid is "Gadget Approved".

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Attached Thumbnails New Skid Plate Announcement-tc-front2-skid.jpg  
Old 08-18-2003, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

XXX

Last edited by sschaefer3; 08-18-2003 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:39 PM

Like damn. If you are really wheeling that way, you don't need a skid plate, you need a bunch of those roller wheel things like you see packages slidding down at the loading docks. Hell you could cover the whole underside of your truck with roller wheels and be like a catapiller going over the tough stuff.

So far the TC plates are the best thing I have seen.

I know you are helping out with those Mike & Milke plates. I am supposed to get one of the production ones sent to me when they are done. That was the deal for buying a prototype one. I can't wait to get it and which ever one is a better plate stays on my truck. So, how soon should I expect it?? You gona weld on some roller wheels??

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-18-2003, 06:45 PM

Wow that was quite the interpretation of XXX. I don't get it!

Chris
Old 08-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

heres a noob question, i was hoping to find the answer myself but havent been able to over the past few days. what if im doing a dif drop, for now just 1", but also i might go with a pro-comp type lift down the road, would i need a diffent skidplate? or does this work with any configuration. thanks
Old 08-18-2003, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr

Chris
Steve must have removed what he had posted in there earlier.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by its2slo
heres a noob question, i was hoping to find the answer myself but havent been able to over the past few days. what if im doing a dif drop, for now just 1", but also i might go with a pro-comp type lift down the road, would i need a diffent skidplate? or does this work with any configuration. thanks
Yes you will need a totally different skid plate when you install that ProComp lift.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-18-2003, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by ravencr

Chris
Steve was just being Steve. He had some very valid points I thought, just sometimes he does not present them is the most positive way.

Hey, here is some vids from this weekend if you want to see how well the suspension works.

http://members.cox.net/turnstyle/

After all is should work great, it is what Steve recommended to me...

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-18-2003, 08:28 PM

Cool

OK then...

Here's what I'm thinking. What Tom (Trail Carnage) is doing is commendable and that's nice work. If anyone thinks this type of stuff can be done in garage with a 2X4 and a piece of pipe for leverage, hell, I'll send you the print and let's see it.

Next, whether Gadget stamps approval, endorses, praises on his website or Steve does the same, I could really care less. I originally started this because I wanted a killer skid plate. If someone wants mine or TC's, hey, whatever. Spend YOUR money where you see fit. Mine is a hobby anyhow.

The guys who "get" one from the current run, they signed up financially and from a testing standpoint at the beginning, and at a minimum, I am a man of my word.

Gadget, should be in the next 30 - 60 days or so. I'm really busy with the stupid thing I call a job right now and Steve is an immense help in getting these done.

Cheerio all!

Mike
Old 08-18-2003, 08:47 PM

Funny you should mention the 2x4 bending technique. A guy from the VA Chapter of TTORA did just that and it came out really nice. He cut the sheet and then laid a 2x4 on it and parked his truck on top of that and bent it up with some buds. It is a tad thin, but once he gets the kinks worked out he is going to do it thicker.

It does have a lower angle and might be a tad more to Steve's liking and instead of mounting it to the little cross member he mounted to the front of the frame where the bumper is. That is a slick idea and it does lessen the angle a bit.

I can't wait to see your final update. I know it is going to be something!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-19-2003, 03:33 AM

Nice vids Gadget! I can't wait to get my all armored up too, eventually!

Chris
Old 08-19-2003, 04:00 AM

Good armor no matter where you get it from is fantastic piece of mind. When you feel that plate mash into something you did not expect it is a good feeling to know it is there.

Good slider bars are worth every penny also!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-19-2003, 04:16 AM

Yeah, I'm hoping to have a rig as worthy as yours and maybe Steve's someday in the future!!

Chris
Old 08-19-2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by its2slo
It will work with your diff drop but is not compatable with any lift that changes the configuration of the frame. Those plates are way down the line...