Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Shoes

Old 10-16-2003, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Shoes

I just got them. I gotta pull those running boards off this weekend and take some pics off road but here's a teaser picture. Truck looks tough now!
Old 10-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Nice! They really fill the wheel wells

Size? Wheels?
Old 10-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Looks great FirstToy. Are those the Allied Wheel rims like Doug's? (02Runner).
Old 10-16-2003, 02:55 PM

That looks really good.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:46 PM

Yeah they are the Allieds. I was a "silver only" wheel guy but after seeing MadChemist's, Doug's and 89-4R's I HAD to get the black steel!
Thanks Doug for the part # saved alot of work. Also everyone NEEDS to see Gadgetonline and bone up on wheel balancing. That's money in the bank.

The truck looks SO badass now! The MT/R's are smooth and quieter than I thought they would be. I can't wait to take them off road and break the cherry on em!

Oh my girlfriend (who could care less, btw) just says, "you got your bling bling now!"

Last edited by FirstToy; 10-16-2003 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by FirstToy
Oh my girlfriend (who could care less, btw) just says, "you got your bling bling now!"
Those don't look like twenty fo's
Old 10-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Looks sweet!

As soon as I get my lift in under my belt, you and I are going to have to meet up so I can finally check out those shoes!!!

I'm debating whether those or the AR Baja 172 (1 piece alloy).

I believe the price will be about the same unless I'm wrong so when that time comes I'll have to meet ya Ofcourse I'll be sportin some 285's though (which will require some trimming/pounding/loving) hehe

I envy ya!!!
Old 10-16-2003, 04:44 PM

Those wheels are P.I.M.P. does anyone know the cost and part#'s for those for my 3rd gen with 16" wheels?

Nice slicks !

Joe
Old 10-16-2003, 04:44 PM

As Jayson said, what is the story on size of the tires and wheels?

Are those real Allied Beadlocks? If they aren't, they don't look as fake as most of the fakelocks do.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Cebby
Those don't look like twenty fo's

They are Allied Daytona beadlock- but fake beadlock. I found out that fake beadlocks reinforce the rim so are less likely to bend so they aren't totally poser.
Pictures don't do the wheels justice. They look really killer.
17x8, 265-70.
We tried the Unique fake beadlock 16" but they won't clear the brake caliper. The guy there said they don't clear his Tacoma either. These 17's barely clear. I think the offset is +12 so if you get the same in 16 maybe they will be ok.

Gadget and others-- they told me they couldn't road force balance them because the MT/R tread was so widely spaced it made the machine misread. Is that true?

Last edited by FirstToy; 10-16-2003 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:15 PM

Sweet, Im really liking black rims
Old 10-16-2003, 07:25 PM

That story on the machine is crap. The 9700 is the cadilac balancer, I have had my MT/R's on several. Each time they can get readings, but the readings are horrible. Tell them to strap that pig on there and you want readings before and after they balance.

Cool deal if they are reinforced. I like my steelies, when they get bent, my precision rim aligner comes out to fix them. Just a couple taps and we are in business. If those were real beadlocks and you were wheeling a 2003 hard enough to need them, I was prepared to be quite impressed.

Good looking set-up either way.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Flygtenstein
Tell them to strap that pig on there and you want readings before and after they balance.

If those were real beadlocks and you were wheeling a 2003 hard enough to need them, I was prepared to be quite impressed.

Good looking set-up either way.
I will do that at the tire shop. Thanks.

Well I guess you can be 1/2 impressed I'm no pro like you guys, I just like to getaway into the mountains. I was going to get the regular black rockcrawlers (MadChemist, Flygtenstein,etc) but none will clear the caliper. The Allieds were almost my only choice going with black steelies. Bonus my truck looks like a beast now!
Real beadlocks need alot more regular maintanence than I would ever give a set of wheels- even if I was as hardcore into it as you guys.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:05 PM

WELL PROBLEMS.
Problem: vertical wobbling-or bobbing at anything above 50mph. Under that, everything is smooth. there is no vibration at any speed.

the issue is with steel wheels-especially these. Allied says they are within the norm for their wheels. In fact, if I was strictly off-roading I would think they were fine but since I have to travel to get to many adventures, this won't do. I can visually see the runout on all 4 wheels.

It is very difficult because steel wheels automatically have more runout than alloy and additional steel welded to the lip and 32 bolts doesn't help matters. Plus the beadlock is not perfectly aligned with the lip which makes it worse for balancing. Being 17", this also exaggerates any high speed issue. Maybe if they were 15 it would be better. As it is, I don't want my MT/Rs to be oval in 5K miles.

This is the second balancing and it's the same. I don't really want to become best friends with the tire people so I'm think I should just return the wheels and keep the MT/R's. Maybe mount them on another set of factory alloys or find some alternative. There really is no choice with steel, since I checked before getting these.

The guys there have been helpful and I think they are doing their best...I don't know what to say. I definitely am not a patient enough person to keep going back to fix this. 2 times is once too many and I see at least another 2 visits to get me into anther set of wheels so this has officially turned into a project for me :pat:

Unless you guys have some ideas, these are the farewell pics of my wheels.

Old 10-17-2003, 04:49 PM

Is your truck silver or white
Old 10-17-2003, 05:22 PM

I guess the pics look blown out but it is Silver.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that FT. Did you check with 02Runner to see what he did?

I really like the black wheel look. Only thing I can find here are TRD wheels that should fit perfect (factory specs) but they cost $600+ per wheel.

BTW- My Revo 265-70-17 on the factory 17x7.5 rims have no problems at all.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2003, 11:09 PM

Thanks Woodbert,
I'm bummed about it. You have no idea how kickarse it looks with these wheels! Seriously, pics don't do justice to just how hard these kick butt.

However, the idea of bobbing on the freeway for several hours to hit the Sierra Nevadas and having oval tires in 6 months isn't worth it.

It almost is when you look at the truck but not quite! If all the use was below 40mph, these wheels would be perfect but not for all around use. I've had AT and MT tires so I know what to expect and the tradeoffs but these are really "off-road only" IMO.

Maybe I got a bad set (I got one first, then the other 3 later so I doubt it). I'm going to return them in the morning.

I think I'll put the MT/R's on my alloys. I was thinking of powdercoating a set of factory alloys black, maybe I'll do that one day.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

They do really look agreeeeeeeeeeessssssive!

Check with Doug and see how he is doing. I think he told me once he had some slip but I don't think he's having the kinds of problems you are.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:05 AM

where do you find these on the net they would look good good on my black 3rd gen

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Shoes