Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New shocks... Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New shocks... Lift?

So i have been contemplating a lift for a little while. Tonight when my wife and I were in the car she sarcasticly asked me "does your car have shocks?". So I have since been thinking about upgrading my shocks.
First and foremost, let me say that I know about as much about lifts as I do about underwater basket weaving. That being said, I have a few questions. One; I am wanting to upgrade my shocks to improve the stock ride, what is my best option? Two; Does the type of shock affect the ride hight? Three; I would like to add a few inches of lift without spending the $1000 for the SS 7.1. This is my daily driver and will be ocaisionally taking it off road on light trails. I would like to improve the stock ride with adding a few inches, 3 at the most. Is this possible without spending an arm and a leg? Also, the tires are brand new michelin LTX's, the same size as stock, and I'm not looking at replacing them any time soon. Eventually I would like to go to some Nitto Terra Grapplers but that wont be until these wear out.

Thanks for your help. You guys are always so knowledgable.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Snookster
So i have been contemplating a lift for a little while. Tonight when my wife and I were in the car she sarcasticly asked me "does your car have shocks?". So I have since been thinking about upgrading my shocks.
First and foremost, let me say that I know about as much about lifts as I do about underwater basket weaving. That being said, I have a few questions. One; I am wanting to upgrade my shocks to improve the stock ride, what is my best option? Two; Does the type of shock affect the ride hight? Three; I would like to add a few inches of lift without spending the $1000 for the SS 7.1. This is my daily driver and will be ocaisionally taking it off road on light trails. I would like to improve the stock ride with adding a few inches, 3 at the most. Is this possible without spending an arm and a leg? Also, the tires are brand new michelin LTX's, the same size as stock, and I'm not looking at replacing them any time soon. Eventually I would like to go to some Nitto Terra Grapplers but that wont be until these wear out.

Thanks for your help. You guys are always so knowledgable.
One - Procomps are nice and cheap. If you want best Bilstiens
two- Shocks in no way lift or lower you truck they simply dampen the ride
three- adding a lift will not make for a stock ride, what you could do is crank the tbars and add a small spacer in the rear to add some lift. Check out Performance products for small kits like this also they sell the shocks.
Four- do some more searching there is tons of info on this stuff and I hope this points you in the right directions some
Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok so just to set it straight there's no T-bars on the 3rd gen so don't go looking for ways to crank it because it doesn't exist. As fillsrunner mentioned lifting the truck will not give you a stock ride but will likely stiffen it a little. This is not necessarily a bad thing, I would the ride improved when I lifted my truck. How much it stiffens depends on how much you lift it and how. If your only looking to lift for looks then a spacer lift will be cheapest and could work for you. I wouldn't really recommend it though as they wear out your springs faster and they WILL eventually start to sag. I would recommend 2 lifts. either the performance products springs which are about 300 and will lift you about 1-2" or you could OME and get the toytec coil spring lift which is about the same as the PP springs maybe a little more. The toytec kit will give you a lift between 2-3" depending on the springs you choose. I would go 881 and 906 for about 2" of lift and 881 and 890 for about 3" of lift. For shocks I recommend you stay away from bilsteins, many posts I've read on hear complain of them being too stiff. I went with Tokico trekmasters ~200/set of 4 and I'm happy. They're pretty much a stock replacement just slightly upgraded. If you search around for lifts on here there's a huge collection of information on lifts and what ppl run. I think the one's I mentioned would probably suite you best. If the coils are too much for you there's nothing wrong with the spacer lifts I mentioned but as I said they will sag springs after a while. Goodluck.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
One - Procomps are nice and cheap. If you want best Bilstiens
two- Shocks in no way lift or lower you truck they simply dampen the ride
three- adding a lift will not make for a stock ride, what you could do is crank the tbars and add a small spacer in the rear to add some lift. Check out Performance products for small kits like this also they sell the shocks.
Four- do some more searching there is tons of info on this stuff and I hope this points you in the right directions some

If you do it, the fronts are struts, so when you do it, you can get it all at once. Don't be like me and have new struts put in, and then get new springs a month later and have to pay twice for basically the same thing...the performance products springs are great in my opinion. Give it a nice ride and a nice little lift...just my 2 cents...
Old 01-18-2008, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by warriors_03
If you do it, the fronts are struts, so when you do it, you can get it all at once. Don't be like me and have new struts put in, and then get new springs a month later and have to pay twice for basically the same thing...the performance products springs are great in my opinion. Give it a nice ride and a nice little lift...just my 2 cents...
They are actually coil-over shocks and not struts - but a shock and a spring nonetheless.

All i can attest to is the PP Springs and Bilsteins - approx a 2" lift and makes the ride a bit stiff for 10k or so. Handles great. I do not think you can out the door with those for less than $500 though. There are definitely some other spring options. If i had to do it over again, i may use different springs - especially in the rear for maybe an inch or so of rake.

You really need to search a bit on here b/c there is TONS of info...
Old 01-18-2008, 05:58 AM

Why do all these people with earlier Gen trucks and Runners post in this forum with incorrect advice?

3rd Gen 4runners DON'T have tension bars!!

It's a peeve of mine but stick to your own forums when giving advice.

86-95 forum was much better about this...
Old 01-18-2008, 06:19 AM

I see on toytec the offer a OME 2" lift for the rear but not for the front? would the 2" in the rear and the 3" in the front level it out? also, i was thinking with the OME front and rear shocks is this a good combination? would it look wierd with my stock tire size on? any pictures of this anyone? I dont think I want to add more than 2 inches... whats the best option?

Last edited by Snookster; 01-18-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
A cheap lift is just that.

We offer affordable lift kits for your vehicle on the website.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:24 AM

man oh man, the more I read the more my head spins. I'm between OME and Treckmasters for the the shocks.... I think. As far as a lift goes, the more i read the less I know which one I want. In a since I wish someone would just say, "get this". But I will research some more
Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 AM

Would the Sonoran system #3 work for this guy if he already has a 99?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:12 AM

after looking at their site, this wouldn't add any lift??? basically it would just be upgrading my shocks to the tokico trekmasters?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:31 AM

i got the ome 881's up front and 891 in the back with the ome shocks and love it. i did order a 3/4in top plate spacer trom toytec thought cause the rear does sit a bit higher that the front. other than that the ride is great. i also put on 265 75 16's which are a size bigger that what you got
here is a few picks to help make your mind up. lol

Old 01-18-2008, 12:21 PM

after doing some more research I have decided that I need to replace my shocks and my springs. They have never been replaced and the 4runner has 143K miles on it. So i figure why not add a bit of a lift as well. Now I just have to narrow down the least expensive lift with the best ride.

Hey 4runner202020, What kit is that? how much did it set you back, if you don;t mind me asking?

And... the SS#3 won't add any hight to my 99' will it?

EDIT:
Alright, I think I am narrowing it down. Is everything in the SS 7.1 kit completely necessary? Could I get away with the OME 3" Lift 4Runner Coil Kit and OME front and rear shocks and achieve what I am looking for? If if went with the later option, what else would be needed? or could i just get the coils and the shocks and I'm ready to go. Forgive me for being so repetitive but as I stated earlier............
First and foremost, let me say that I know about as much about lifts as I do about underwater basket weaving. Plus I'm pretty excited as this will be my first vehicle with a lift... I want it done yesterday

Last edited by Snookster; 01-18-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: more to add
Old 01-18-2008, 12:47 PM

i dont think the ss#3 will add much lift but i'm sure if you call steve he can answer that for sure. but i spent WAY to much for my lift... i didn't look into it much so your off to a good start by askin all these questions!!! i spent 700 on the lift with the springs and paid for install. if i had to do it again and get the same lift for the right price i would get it through toyteclifts.com. here is the link to the lift i would get http://www.toyteclifts.com/96024runn...runnerliftkits it is the 4th one down and the part number is #OME3-RUN. if i remember correctly they sell ome shocks too which i highly suggest!!! and they send out a complete install guide with pictures. i hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 PM

you will get a better price though toytec i think. but its still your call. and it will sit more level with the front top out spacer.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:10 AM

I would definitely get a panhard adjusting bracket and front differential drop spacers if you are going to be adding as much height as the SS 7.1 lift. I wouldn't be able to stand for the rear tires not being on the same track as the fronts and I would always go for the cheap insurance of the diff drop. They say you should extend brake lines as well but that might not be a problem if you don't wheel a lot. I don't have any experience with that though.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM

If you get from OME shocks be sure to get the limiting straps from Steve at Sonoran Steel.

I've heard OME Softies ride niceeee....
Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 PM

Can't go wrong with an OME setup. The PP springs suck offroad and are quite stiff.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 AM

Has any run procomp shocks? I found a place where they are on sale. 4wheelonline.com buy 3 get one free. Which ones will be the best for a DD with occasional off road use es1000, es300, or es9000?
anything bad about pro comp? any complaints or does anyone really enjoy them? thanks
Old 01-24-2008, 08:51 AM

get the ome shocks too. you'll thank yourself in the long run!!!

Quick Reply: New shocks... Lift?