Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New shocks/coils for 2000(mild lift 1-2")???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New shocks/coils for 2000(mild lift 1-2")???

Hi All,I am new to YotaTech.I just wanted to know what shocks I should put on my wifes 2000 runner 4wd ltd.The truck has 136k & the stock shocks/springs are shot.I wanted to get a mild OME lift(1-2")But the wife JUST wants new shocks.We just got a new set of 265/75-16 Nitto TG's.I think they are rubbing ever so slightly,on the way home from getting new tires tonite we both herd a litte rubbing.I think we should lift it a little.We just took off the same size tires in BFG AT's& they did not rub at all.
What are my options to do it semi-cheap!
Thanks,John
Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_co..._liftkits.html system 3 would work
Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 PM

Dont touch system 3. To get the 99 coils new just doesnt really make sense. If you want a mild lift go for OME 881 or 880 front and 906 rear. This will put you at the 99 4runner level +a tad bit more. If you want more you can consider the system 7 from sonoran.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:50 AM

PP 1" lift springs and tokicos or bilsteins perhaps?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 AM

John,

I am in the boat. I have the same year and model with a little less miles. However my shocks and springs are shot. I did a ton of research and finally decided that I am going to go with the OME setup all around. I considered the Sonoran Steel lift kits, both system 3 and system 7. I didn't go with the system 3 because I wanted a little more lift than what the 99 coils would give me. I didn't go with the system 7 because it is a little pricey and since my runner is a daily driver/once in awhile light trails, I didn't see myself spending all that for my application. It all depends on what you use your rig for. If you are interested in the OME setup...these are part numbers that you will need:

Front:
Part #OME-N91SC
Part #OME881

Rear:
Part #OME906
Part #OME-N86C

This will be the setup that I will be getting very soon. You can PM trdparts4u on this forum and he will give you a good price. Hope this helps.

-austin
Old 02-16-2008, 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the replys! I have checked out the setups from S. Steel,lifts look to a bit tall for what this truck needs to do.DD scoccer Mom stuff,no off road!That is what my 93' FZJ80 is for.Although,I would not mind a 3"+ setup&be alble to wheel this truck.I just like the OME lifts,good products,if you are towing,wheeling or whatever.
Thanks Austin,I will shoot these guys another e-mail about the part #'s you gave me.Is this for a firm or soft ride?And this should be an easy install,any specal tools or tricks needed?

John
Old 02-16-2008, 09:23 PM

No John, you shouldn't need any special tools. But you will need someone with experience with a spring compressor and what not. Other than that, it is just like changing out any other springs and shocks. Yes the part numbers that I have listed are for soft ride, if you go on to this website:
www.trdparts4u.com

You will see them listed. I was going to go with the (Part #OME890) springs in the rear but after some research, I have come to the conclusion that the rear end will be really high compared to the front. So I decided to go with the (Part #OME906)
I use my Runner as mostly daily driver and what not so for my purpose, the OME were the most logical choice.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:54 AM

Hey thanks for the link trdparts4u,good site.My total is $732.74+109SH=$841.74 to my door.So with this mild lift,we should be fine w/ just an alinment.No driveshaft angles,caster or vibration problems that anyone know of.
I have gone through all this w/my 93 LC,but I know stright axle vs. IFS is a whole dif. game.I have had 2-OME lifts on the 93.1st. one was a 2.5" HD,had problems cause I did not correct the caster angle.2nd. lift is the current "J" springs& L shocks about a 4" lift to run 35's.I have installed caster correction plates& it rides super smooth,no problems.
Thanks,John
Old 02-17-2008, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by jsuthey
Hey thanks for the link trdparts4u,good site.My total is $732.74+109SH=$841.74 to my door.So with this mild lift,we should be fine w/ just an alinment.No driveshaft angles,caster or vibration problems that anyone know of.
I have gone through all this w/my 93 LC,but I know stright axle vs. IFS is a whole dif. game.I have had 2-OME lifts on the 93.1st. one was a 2.5" HD,had problems cause I did not correct the caster angle.2nd. lift is the current "J" springs& L shocks about a 4" lift to run 35's.I have installed caster correction plates& it rides super smooth,no problems.
Thanks,John
The PP springs will give you a couple inches on your '00 and you're looking at about $500 total.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:21 AM

Great information; this looks like a good setup for mine since it's also a daily driver.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 AM

Thanks,John

$841.74!!!!!! YIKES!!!!!

Mine came out to $665.00 DEVLIVERED to Sacramento. You need to PM Gerone at trdparts4u, seriously. I even gave him the exact pat numbers listed above. One of the reasons I didn't go with the PP spings and the Billies setup was because of the ride. I have heard too many people complain about the stiffness of the ride.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
The PP springs will give you a couple inches on your '00 and you're looking at about $500 total.
Be careful with those, I have them now, and an dI considering getting OME's when the budget allows. Personally for me, the PP are a little stiff for it being my DD. I also have bilstein shocks which stiffen it a little bit as well.

On that note, if anyone would like a set of PP 1" progressive springs, PM me. Might be a while until II get them, but I will make you a deal for them.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:28 AM

That's exactly why I am going to go with the OME setup. It's my daily driver and will give me more lift than the PP spring and Billies setup because I do hit the trails from time to time, but nothing extreme. Just make sure to get the 906 not the 890. If you go with the 890, your rear will be high.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by warriors_03
Be careful with those, I have them now, and an dI considering getting OME's when the budget allows. Personally for me, the PP are a little stiff for it being my DD. I also have bilstein shocks which stiffen it a little bit as well.

On that note, if anyone would like a set of PP 1" progressive springs, PM me. Might be a while until II get them, but I will make you a deal for them.
Springs have nothing to do with the ride stiffness.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 AM

Yup Yup... Whitey13 is right, it's the Billies.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:02 PM

Hey thanks guys,this is starting to be a great thread!
2000t4rAKS $665 delivered is a good deal.This could be the deal sealer w/the wifey as she is a little freaked out on the $841 total.I will get a quote from 4wheel parts as they have free shipping to their stores& there is one in San Jose.They are also OME dealers.I will also send trdparts4u a PM& an E-mail.I tried to PM& it did not work.
So what are the PP springs& if the ride is a bit stiff,I don't think the wife will dig it.I wanted to get new shocks also.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 PM

John, if your wife isn't a big fan of a stiff ride, I wouldn't touch the PP spings because that kit comes with the Billies shocks. We have a 4Wheel Parts here is Sacramento as well but I am not quite sure the pricing. You can get a quote from TRDparts4U and see if 4Wheel Parts will match it. Its worth a try.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 AM

So yea Jacque e-mailed me back& they will honor that price $665 or so! Good deal,Thanks 2000t4rAKS.You just saved me around $176 bucks.I guess it pays to do your homework on this stuff.
I think I will pass on those other PP springs/billies,like I said before OME is good stuff.Those Aussies beat the crap out of thier stuff,even though this truck will be mostly just a mall cruiser! It's going to look good w/the new tires we got(265/75-16 Nitto TG's).I will post up some pics.when I get this little lift on!
Think I am going to do the front rotors/pads as well,any thing else I should do while I have the truck all apart! I will prob.just go w/some oem toyota rotors/pads,nothing to fancy.But it seems there are some good aftermarket rotors out there around the same price as the stockers.
Maybe I will stat a new thread!Here we go again,gotta' do my homework!
John
Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So yea Jacque e-mailed me back& they will honor that price $665 or so! Good deal,Thanks 2000t4rAKS.You just saved me around $176 bucks.I guess it pays to do your homework on this stuff.
I think I will pass on those other PP springs/billies,like I said before OME is good stuff.Those Aussies beat the crap out of thier stuff,even though this truck will be mostly just a mall cruiser! It's going to look good w/the new tires we got(265/75-16 Nitto TG's).I will post up some pics.when I get this little lift on!
Think I am going to do the front rotors/pads as well,any thing else I should do while I have the truck all apart! I will prob.just go w/some oem toyota rotors/pads,nothing to fancy.But it seems there are some good aftermarket rotors out there around the same price as the stockers.
Maybe I will stat a new thread!Here we go again,gotta' do my homework!
John

You'll like that setup alot more than the PP/Bils.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Hey Jamie,looks like you have the OME setup! How does it ride,stiff or a little firm.Did you go w/the comfort ride shocks(I forgot to look at your sig.)
I have an update on this setup,reading the Sonoran Steel site.They have a lot of intresting things to say about the OME products.Here goes,quoting them(hope this is ok) Using overload springs for a lift creates a very stiff suspension.Front shock too long,rear could be longer&the coils are not intended for lift,but to carry more wt. on a Prado.They are for a Prado 20mm.lift.Says you can screw up your front CV joints,(i need to check my notes on that one)
But any how,SS offers a system 3 for $550 the "All Toyota factory coil system" The best the factory had to offer.Looks like a good kit,Now I am not sure.I don't want to hear about it from the wife,I want her to like the ride!
Thanks,John

Quick Reply: New shocks/coils for 2000(mild lift 1-2")???