Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Shocks for 4Runner --- which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Shocks for 4Runner --- which ones?

It has been a while since I have posted. I have already read through the numerous threads on this subject and there are many options and even more opinions. I want to check the latest pulse on this subject and would like to only hear from Gen3 (96 - 02) 4Runner owners, not Tacoma or other PU truck owners --- please.

I have narrowed my options down to three possible choices:
1) Monroe Sensa-Trac?
2) Tokico Trek Master?
3) Bilstein?

I have Addco front and rear bars as well as HR progressive rate springs front and rear. The vehicle has 40K miles now.

I realize that I am trying to tame a top heavy brick but I want a relatively smooth ride that doesn't telegraph every pebble on the road to my butt. If I can avoid a rock hard ride, the most important thing to me is improving the cornering characteristics. My application is 90% paved and graded dirt road usage.

TIA for the feedback.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are the HR springs u have the same ones as the PP springs? if so, go with bilsteins.

www.cabeperformance.com had them for cheap when i bought them
Old 12-04-2005, 10:08 AM

have you considered Pro Comp Shocks?
Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=Localmotion]are the HR springs u have the same ones as the PP springs? if so, go with bilsteins.

Yes, they are the springs sold by PP. It really pissed me off when I bought them because I wanted the "red" ones that were suppose to lower the vehicle by 1" all around. PP insisted that I had the correct PN and the color did not matter. However, the vehicle height remained at its OEM level and actually the rear was raised up slightly. Anyway, I like the springs but find that the transition during cornering is not smooth or gradual. In other words, it leans slightly then all of a sudden hunkers down and remains stable. I have Eibach progressive rate springs on another vehicle and they do not perform that way. That is why I want a shock that will enhance the cornering characteristics --- the way Koni's do, BUT does not give a rock hard ride.

Although I have Bilsteins on another vehicle and was relatively happy with them, I am told they do not last and one 4R owner told me they were too stiff on his 4R. I cannot imagine Bilsteins being too stiff but I believe this man.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Boaz
have you considered Pro Comp Shocks?
No, I have not because I would rather stick with one of the three brands as stated. I have no valid reasoning other than personal preference. Am I wrong? I do not do any off-roading the way the die hard guys on this board do.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Banned

I bought bils and shortly sold them for OMEs. It wasnt that i was disappointed with them, I just wanted to lift my junk.

I gave my cousion my bils (hes got a 98 ltd) and he loves them. Id say the overall handling improved. I think the HR springs were made to be used in conjunction with the BILS. FilthyRich has them on his wifes 4runner. Ask him for more details.

Matt
Old 12-04-2005, 10:38 AM

its junk all right localmotion.

I run bilsteins.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 4RocRunner92
its junk all right localmotion.

I run bilsteins.
LOL..the only reason i use junk b/c i dont want to type 4runner, i dont know if calling my 4runner a truck is correct ....LOL by all means, its not "junk"

LOL
Old 12-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

I have a 3rd gen w/ stock springs (w/ spacers) and Bilsteins. At first, there was a ton of "float" when hitting windy roads at higher speeds (mostly freeways). After installing Addco's, the handling improved dramatically.

What I like about the Bils is the instant compression when you hit a bump. The thing that others don't like about this is it makes the suspension feel stiffer. When I'm driving through rough patches, the Bils are definitely stiff but I don't experience this (type of road) all the time.

When I did my research, Tokiko's were highly recommended as a slight improvement over stock but with better handling. If this is what you're looking for, you should probably go Tokiko. From my prior experiences w/ suspensions on cars, Bils were always the bette way to go on heavier vehicles. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:43 AM

Can you compare the 3?

Okay, so is it possible that someone has gone deep enough into this subject that they can compare the three shocks in terms of ride and handling?

1) Monroe Sensa-Trac?
2) Tokico Trek Master?
3) Bilstein?
Old 12-04-2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by ebelen1
...After installing Addco's, the handling improved dramatically.
With a 400% rate increase I believe the Addco bars are the one single best road handling improvement you can make on a street driven 4R.

What I like about the Bils is the instant compression when you hit a bump. The thing that others don't like about this is it makes the suspension feel stiffer. When I'm driving through rough patches, the Bils are definitely stiff but I don't experience this (type of road) all the time.
I have never felt that Bilsteins were harsh, on the contrary I have always felt they were not stiff enough and got softer over time , but I am affraid to put them on my 4R after hearing several people say they are too stiff. As for the quick recovery, that is a typical function of the valving on performance shocks.

When I did my research, Tokiko's were highly recommended as a slight improvement over stock but with better handling. If this is what you're looking for, you should probably go Tokiko. From my prior experiences w/ suspensions on cars, Bils were always the bette way to go on heavier vehicles. Good luck.
Well, we certainly have what would be classified as heavy vehicles. Thank you for your input.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:26 AM

For what is worth, I installed Tokico shocks on my wife's Avalon XLS and it made a significant difference in the ride and definitely in the handling. That is not saying it will do the same on my 4R but I thought I would offer that up for anyone of us Yota lovers who has an Ava or other such sedan in their family.

We had a discussion about suspensions here a long time ago and I said then that according to a very well respected and nationally known race car builder (now retired), the way he wanted NASCAR vehicles to perform was for them to "float" over bumps and squat down in turns. What this meant to me was that I should not be opposed to a slight amount of rebound from shocks, the kind of rebound that could be interpreted as a soft ride. What I wanted was for them to be stiff during cornering. That is why I think Koni shocks are so good; as I recall they have unique valve engineering that compensates for leaning. Too bad they do not make them for 4R's.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:28 PM

I had the pp springs and the bilsteins but felt it was too stiff, so I swapped the bilsteins with tokiko trekmasters. Still a little stiff but not as much as earlier.

Anyone know which is stiffer, the pp or ome (soft)?
Old 12-05-2005, 03:30 AM

Question RE rear spring BUMPSTOPS

Originally Posted by lanai
I had the pp springs and the bilsteins but felt it was too stiff, so I swapped the bilsteins with tokiko trekmasters. Still a little stiff but not as much as earlier.
I made a decision last night and ordered the Tokico shocks from SHOX.COM. The cost for a set of four was $232.00 delivered.

I think it is difficult to ascertain which spring set is softer. They have different characteristics. My guess is that they are just about the same with the HR being slightly stiffer because of less travel range.

I have another questionr relating to the HR springs. There has been talk about cutting the bump stops in the rear. Is there a writeup on the procedure and how much to cut the bumpstops?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKIC...spagenameZWDVW

Please post back and let us know how they feel. I'm in the same boat as you, I just didn't want to be the guinnea pig.

thanks
Old 12-05-2005, 05:52 AM

I am used to being a guinnea pig so I will be glad to let you know.

Have you shaved your rear bump stops?
Old 12-05-2005, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

nope I haven't done anything to it yet .. other then take it back to stock.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Peter, any update on this. I'm going to pick these up soon off of Ebay, I just would have liked some first hand feedback.

thanks
Old 12-11-2005, 08:59 AM

Well I dont think either of you will be dissapointed at all. I have went through stocks, Bils and now I have the trek masters and I like them the best.

They have great street characteristics and are about as stiff as I would like on the street; but still do quite well in cornering and slight offroading. I drive 90% street and got the tokico's because of the charecteristics and the $200 shipped price off ebay.

I have driven them in ALL conditions now, for about 8k miles and I cannot imagine gettign anything else for a daily Runner that doesn't see much offroad. They feel MUCH better in corners than stock and are noticeable stiffer as well (not as bad as Bils though).
Old 12-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lanai

People have recommended OME springs w/ OME shocks. Since you've swapped out to Tokikos already, your best bet is for someone w/ the combo you're asking about to reply.

There are other springs out there besides PP and OME. Downey also has springs for 3rd gens and comparably priced to PP. I don't know about stiffness on them though. Good luck.

Quick Reply: New Shocks for 4Runner --- which ones?