new roof rack basket

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new roof rack basket

so i'm interested in a basket for my roofrack. right now, this is my setup:

yakima roof rack

i'd like to stick with yakima and get the loadwarrior, but i'm open to other makes too. i think the regular loadwarrior looks kinda short on the 4runner, so i'd consider the extension for it.

i also want to add some hella 500s lights up top too. i really like scott's setup (monkeynuts) and am going after something like that.

my concern is how you mount other stuff up there like a snowboard rack. right now it just snaps on to the crossbars, but how would it work with a basket, yakima or nonyakima? the website says it's easy to add such things, but doesn't show any pictures. that's mostly what i'd be using my rack for, hauling around snowboards, and the occasional bike. and then when wheelin i'd add stuff up there like a hi-lift. i probably wouldn't be putting a spare tire up there, but who knows.

cleanance is also an issue. i think i could fit in my garage with a basket on top of the yakima corssbars with lights also, but anything on top of the basket would prob be too high. can i mount the loadwarrior directly to the factory rails? or maybe even go back to the stock factory crossbars.

any suggestions on what to do, or pictures, sure would be nice. thanks. i've seen the other threads on related topics, but am still looking for some insight.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: new roof rack basket

Originally posted by calrockx
so i'm interested in a basket for my roofrack. right now, this is my setup:

yakima roof rack

i'd like to stick with yakima and get the loadwarrior, but i'm open to other makes too. i think the regular loadwarrior looks kinda short on the 4runner, so i'd consider the extension for it.

i also want to add some hella 500s lights up top too. i really like scott's setup (monkeynuts) and am going after something like that.

my concern is how you mount other stuff up there like a snowboard rack. right now it just snaps on to the crossbars, but how would it work with a basket, yakima or nonyakima? the website says it's easy to add such things, but doesn't show any pictures. that's mostly what i'd be using my rack for, hauling around snowboards, and the occasional bike. and then when wheelin i'd add stuff up there like a hi-lift. i probably wouldn't be putting a spare tire up there, but who knows.

cleanance is also an issue. i think i could fit in my garage with a basket on top of the yakima corssbars with lights also, but anything on top of the basket would prob be too high. can i mount the loadwarrior directly to the factory rails? or maybe even go back to the stock factory crossbars.

any suggestions on what to do, or pictures, sure would be nice. thanks. i've seen the other threads on related topics, but am still looking for some insight.
Try

www.rackattack.com

They have the do it youself design guide there for Thule and Yakima as I remember, perhaps some others. I just got my Thule gear from them.

My stuff looks like Jackson's so check out his site

http://128.226.93.56/

Hope this helps

Brian

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-02-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:34 AM

The crossbars on the Loadwarrior or Megawarrior are the same as your crossbars so any Yak accessory can clamp to the Loadwarrior.
The snowboard rack will stick up higher than the Loadwarrior-but mounts where the front of the bike is in the picture-just behind the windfairing.

I think the way Corey mounted his lights on the Loadwarrior is better than Yakima's. It's more intergrated with the rack and looks better.

You can use the stock factory crossbars- Yakima makes a mightymount for the Loadwarrior to clamp onto the thin factory crossbars. Not as strong but still solid- spare tire wouldn't be a good idea with factory rails I think.

Here's a better pic

The thicker crossbars on there are where you put ski/snowboard/bike racks.
The mounts pictured would clamp your factory thin rails and lock.

Last edited by FirstToy; 10-02-2003 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

calrockx...
I had the Load Warrior on my '97. I mounted it directly to the factory cross bars. The factory cross bars held real nice. I have had lots of weight up there and it did fine.
Here is a shot of the Load Warrior.

And a shot of the clamp to the factory cross bars.

Let me know if the pictures do not come out.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the pictures and links guys.

so the snowboard racks still mount to the same crossbars as i use now, but wouldn't the fairing and back bar of the loadwarrior get in the the way of a snowboard, esp if the nose and tail are pointed down? i'm thinking i'd use the factory cross bars, might look kinda weird with 2 fairings up there.

Last edited by calrockx; 10-02-2003 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:23 PM

It would mount to the top crossbars of the loadwarrior-like this crude photchopped. With extension, it might be too long...not sure what to do about that.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

FirstToy:

I love your photoshop pix!!! It's soo dope!

As for the yakima rack, I have one myself and I use it for multipurpose use The snowboard does go on top of my megawarrior (via powdersomethingn... yakima ones).

Also I have the mtn bike setup on there too (but sometimes a pain in the rear to get em up there after a long ride... must figure another way around this.

My megawarrior is attached to my stock crossbars.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:03 PM

If your yakima bars stick out from the basket, You can put you bike tray there, or one of these IT would be in the same place corey has his high lift mount . I know my bars are wider than the basket, so when i get mine on i will mount the thule snowboard thing, and an bike tray on the other side
Old 10-02-2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Good Times
FirstToy:

I love your photoshop pix!!! It's soo dope!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

yeah, nice photochoppin. makes it all clear. by the way, nice board.

well that clears that up, but i'm still not sure about the lights. i like corey's setup, i wouldn't want the lights "mickey mouse" style. do you have to use yakima light mounts on a load warrior, or are there other options?
Old 10-02-2003, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by calrockx
by the way, nice board.
Welfare blingin' baby!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:29 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Cal, my 500s use to be up like Mickey Mouse ears, but no more.
Look on my website for some early pics of my lights up high.
You just have to turn down the Yakima light bracket as seen in the URL below of the Copperhead bike rack.

And as mentioned above, you can use the overhang of the crossbars for a bike rack.
Here's a Yakima Copperhead rack for bike you take the front wheel off of.

My Hi-Lift mount resides there now.

And for the drivers side, I have a Yakima Lock Jaw.
Great rack if you wanna leave the front tire on.

I did have pics of the Yakima Button Down Four ski racks mounted to the crossbars of the Load Warrior, but I can't find them now.
They were mounted the same as the pic FirstToy doctored up.