Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new/rebuilt tranny's

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 08:13 PM
Del

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new/rebuilt tranny's

My truck's about ready for a new transmission. I think the guy who had it before me never changed the transmission fluid, so when I got it changed, it was black and chunky. Mmmmm.. Chunky. Anyway, they flushed it to get everything out and ever since then, first has been slipping. Also, whenever it's not warmed up, it doesn't shift out of first. I don't have a lot of funds right now and I heard that I might not need a new tranny (don't really believe it though).

Does anyone know if what I heard is true? Or if I do need a new one, has anyone dealt with good mechanics in the LA area and had good results? Sorry this is so long.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:41 AM

When the fluid is in that bad of shape you should not have changed it. Your transmission was already dead it just did not know it. Changing the fluid reminded it that it was dead so it started to die.

I know all this sounds nuts, but the thing is that the crap that was in the old fluid is not soluable in the new fluid and that is what pushed the tranny over the edge to death.

You need a new tranny. Start shopping for one now and saving your money. How long will you current transmission last? No one can tell you that. It may keep doing what it is doing for a week, month, 6 months, a year, or it could drop dead the next time you drive it.

That not shifting until it is warmed up is likely a seal that is dried out and hard so it is not sealing any more. You can do something that may improve that in the short term. There is a product called Trans Medic and I think it is made by Solder Seal and any of the big stores like Pep Boys will have it. Dump it is and that may soften the seals up a bit and get them to seal and hold pressure and that may last you for a little while. It is not likely going to hurt anything.

Good luck!

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 02-24-2003, 07:13 AM

Hey Gadget,

Why no recommendation for Level 10 rebuild, torque converter, and Valve body upgrade? Just wondering!

Chris
Old 02-24-2003, 07:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hmmmmmm my tranny won't jump into O/D until she is fully warmed up, and yes the tranny has been neglected....it was changed about every 40k miles or so before I owned it....

should I be worried? And what does slipping seem like when you are driving?

thanks,
Steve
Old 02-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Del

When the fluid is in that bad of shape you should not have changed it. Your transmission was already dead it just did not know it. Changing the fluid reminded it that it was dead so it started to die.
Yea unfortunalty I found that out the day after I changed the fluid from someone on this board.:pat:

I was able to live in Mammoth for two months and make the 300 mile drive back and forth a couple times, so I'm pretty optimistic that it will last a little while longer. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:10 PM

Trans Medic!!

Gadget
Old 02-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Del

And what does slipping seem like when you are driving?
Not fun. It's not bad unless Im starting uphill from a standstill. However, when I do, it'll start to move, then the RPM's will shoot up to around 5k but the truck won't accelerate. Then it will catch and jerks the truck forward (OW MY NECK!).
Old 02-24-2003, 04:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Del
Not fun. It's not bad unless Im starting uphill from a standstill. However, when I do, it'll start to move, then the RPM's will shoot up to around 5k but the truck won't accelerate. Then it will catch and jerks the truck forward (OW MY NECK!).
Not fun at all, the piece of crap car I had before I got the 4Runner (small trade in) slipped in 1st on acceleration too (old Mustang LX).
Old 02-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

hmmmmmm my tranny won't jump into O/D until she is fully warmed up, and yes the tranny has been neglected....it was changed about every 40k miles or so before I owned it....
If you are driving a 2nd gen it is normal for the tranny not to shift into overdrive until it is warm. It allows the engine to warm up faster. It just kind of sucks when you get on the interstate when she is cold.

I don't think changing the fluid at every 40k is neglecting your tranny. I'm not sure what the regular service interval is, but I wouldn't go any longer than 40k.

Just my .02
Old 02-25-2003, 06:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 93_Runner06
If you are driving a 2nd gen it is normal for the tranny not to shift into overdrive until it is warm. It allows the engine to warm up faster. It just kind of sucks when you get on the interstate when she is cold.

I don't think changing the fluid at every 40k is neglecting your tranny. I'm not sure what the regular service interval is, but I wouldn't go any longer than 40k.

Just my .02
Whew! I was worried there! Yeah, I've got the 2nd gen 4runner. When is a good time to change the tranny filters? Any idea on that one?

thanks
Steve
Old 02-25-2003, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 93_Runner06
I'll second that.

Steve
Old 02-25-2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota

should I be worried? And what does slipping seem like when you are driving?

thanks,
Steve
When I was reading about the ECT mod someone said that on 2nd gens the O/D never comes on until the truck is fully warmed up....maybe that's why?
Old 02-25-2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Del
You know SOME of us WANT our 4Runners to be able to snap our necks back

Oh but you probably mean that in a bad way...that sucks...