New Radiator...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Radiator...now what?

I had to put a new radiator in my rig this weekend. Why? details are here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...694#post661694

Anyway, install was very easy and worked right away (it was too easy, actually..scary). Drove home (100 miles) with no problems - a real champ! This morning, I realized that the coolant reservoir is empty. I haven't checked the radiator because it was still hot. Maybe it needs to burp and correct itself, so I'm not too worried. No fluids on the garage and no, I haven't checked the weep yet.

I drove for about 200 yards with low/no fluids in the radiator and I'm a bit concerned. Here are my questions:

1. Could my water pump have gone bad?
2. What about the thermostat?
3. New radiator cap?
4. What else should be done after a new radiator change?

I'm not getting any overheats, rig runs fine...really fine. The truth is, I'm just being cautious before something worse comes up.

Thanks!

- Gene
Old 08-01-2005, 11:25 AM

Received 635 Likes on 512 Posts
As long as you're not having any trouble, why go looking for it? The recovery tank was probably empty because these engines hold an amazing amount of air after they've been drained and refilled. Just keep it up around the full hot mark for a while, as the system works the air out. I would put a new cap on a new radiator, but that's about it. I've driven mine a few times with the radiator out, and as long as you don't get it too hot, you should be ok. It does take a few seconds for things to hot up, yes? If your water pump were bad, you'd have known it by now. It would get plenty warm real fast without the water circulating properly. Same with the thermostat. If it weren't functioning, you'd know it pretty quiick. Me, I like to use a water wetter of some kind, to help the cooling system work at peak efficiency but that's mainy because of where I live. I think, as long as you're not having anytrouble, and there's nothing coming out in unexpected places, that you should leave it alone. If it aint broke, don't fix it
Old 08-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks 2ToyGuy.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:29 PM

Received 635 Likes on 512 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm a radar tech, NOT a mechanic. There may well be a detail I've overlooked. I have been working on Toyota engines, just the basic stuff, with a couple head replacements thrown in, ever since 89 though, so I've had a little experience, if no formal training. I just offered my opinion as I saw things.
SO: If your truck explodes in the garage tonight, please don't blame me!
Old 08-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Open your heater control to hot, so that coolant reaches those areas also. Keep checking your overflow tank and make sure you've got fluid in there. After installing new rads (I've done 3 since about 4 months ago due to bad rads) it took about a week before all the burping stopped. Check you owners manual or the rad manufacturer for an estiimate on the amount of coolant required. This will give you a better idea of the rad's capacity.

BTW, I changed the thermostat and put in a new cap for good measure.

Troy

Last edited by YotaJunky; 08-01-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

I noticed a puddle of coolant on the ground this time after work. After careful inspection, it seems that the upper rad hose had a small tear in it. So, a new rad hose and a cap and no more leaks. I parked on an incline and ran it w/ the heater on for a while. The coolant didn't leak anymore and the levels didn't drop either. I'll keep an eye out for the levels for a while and make sure it stays normal. A new thermostat will probably be put in later...

Thanks!