Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New owner of an 89 pickup

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner of an 89 pickup

As of last week I am the owner of a stock 89 Pickup 4x4 with a 4cyl. The main use of the truck will be off-road and driving into the local mountains to the ski areas.

For 125K it's all still in great shape, but it does seem to lack power seriously on the hills.

Right now it has the stock rims and tires that need to be replaced immediately. I want to put on the 31x10.5s, but I'm worried about losing even more power. Should I also be looking into regearing?

Is there anything I should know about the truck in general? Weak points, things to look out for?

YotaGirl
Old 12-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

First off... AND WELCOME!

Second of all, I would get used to the lack of power those engines have. I have the 3.0 and it has low power so I can imagine the low power that the 22R would have.

As for the tires...I have 31x10.50's and they came stock on my rig. It all depends on what your truck came with stock...I don't know about regearing...wait for the more knowledgeable members to reply.

Once again, Welcome to the best forum for the best machines in the world...TOYOTAS!!

Fink
Old 12-10-2003, 01:00 PM

I've got 31's on my truck, but they were on it when I got it from the other guy. You shouldn't have any problem putting them on there, I've still got plenty of power (for a 4banger). I'm getting ready to put a lot bigger tires on so I'm going to regear. I wouldn't worry about the gears with just 31's. There's not really anything special to know about the truck that I can think of. I've got pretty much the same truck but with a lot more stuff on it now. I love the truck, but the engine does seem to be a little bit underpowered but you shouldn't have any trouble out of it if you treat it right.

Congrats !!
Old 12-10-2003, 01:03 PM

one more thing. when you get the tires and wheels, make sure to get at least 15x8" wheel, this will give you alot more options if you ever want to go bigger with the tires.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

I agree, 15x8"wheels are definately the way to go if you do get new ones. As for tires, depending on what you want to do, I would either get the Revo A/T's or the BFG A/T's if you going to be doing more on-road driving and the BFG M/T's or the MT/R's if you are more into off-roading.

Hope all this helps...let us know if you need anything else!

Fink
Old 12-10-2003, 03:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
125k? that's barely even broken in for a toyota

mine has 307,000 miles on it, and still running great
Old 12-10-2003, 04:09 PM

I just registered here, because I just got the same truck as yotagirl, only difference is it's a 92 with a 22RE, and already had 31x10.5s when I got it, less than 2 weeks ago. I don't even have it registered, and already I've made the reverse lights blue, added a light to the bottom of the back bumper for reverse visibility (because of the blue lights) and installed a 10 disc CD changer, alarm, and 2 12" 400w subs. All in less than a week, by myself. I'm gonna be on this froum a long time, I've already learned so much in less than a day.

The truck does seem to be lacking in the power department, but it's my first truck, and first 5-speed. I was driving an 86 Jag xj6 before this, and the day I picked up the truck, the throttle cable on the Jag snapped while it was sitting in the parking lot of the store I was at. Pretty lame. But anyways, that's my story.

Chris
Old 12-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the board tenfourty! Looks like YT is growing fast, this is great!

About the lack of power, unless you just cannot get it up to any kind of speed I would imagine that is normal for the 4banger that they put in there.

Sounds like both of you have got very nice rigs...

YotaGirl-125k??? My '95 has more than that!!! GOOD FIND!

Fink
Old 12-10-2003, 04:26 PM

Yea, that is good. Mine has about 153k, runs smooth as butter. Can't wait to take it out to the desert.

I was wondering, if anybody has knowledge of the 22RE motors, is there anything you can do to get more power? Or just like general things like exhaust, intake, etc.?
Old 12-10-2003, 04:27 PM

welcome to the forum yotagirl wish you luck with your yota
i would go with 4:88's with 32's igot my info from prefromance
products they have alot of cool ˟˟˟˟ for yota's

duane

Last edited by duanedeidre; 12-10-2003 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:37 PM

Yotagirl, is your truck a manual or auto?

I have an 87 with the carb'd 22r, and a manual, with 31's, and it is not a problem. Granted I get smoked by soccermoms in minivans that aren't even trying to race, but it has plenty of available torque, especially in 4-low. I went from 30x9.50's to the 31x10.50's, and there was a power drop, but you get used to it.

As far as power options, there are ways to open up the airbox to allow more air in, like the deckplate mod, tho I don't know if it works on the 22re's, but I am sure something similar can be done. Also, upgrading the exhaust and headers helps (so I have read), and if all else fails, have a friend get out and push
Old 12-10-2003, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just thought I'd give a bit of a boost to the good 'ole 4 cylinder

I've got a 22R here as well, came with with 29" tyres from the factory and now runs 32x11.5 rubber.
I reckon that wide wheels are the way to go as well

Some people might call this particular 4 banger a little underpowered, but I just have a chuckle to myself as those soccer Mums zoom past me as I tractor along.

Oh, I've got extractors as well and I reckon you could safely call them a "seat of the pants" improvement over that small, stock exhaust manifold.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:19 PM

the best ways to improve a 22r(e)'s power is to cam it up, overbore it a bit or put a header on it. i'm no expert on fuel injection, but i believe there are bigger(supra?) injectors you can swap in

as for us carbed guys, a weber is a huge improvement over stock
Old 12-10-2003, 05:42 PM

Can you give me any information and/ or links to information about the things you listed, Kyle?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You mentioned you're up in the mountains? How high? If you're out 6,000 ft+ then you're going to be SOL any way you cut it. If you're not planning on doing a whole lot of serious offroading, and just need to ford the snow, then a set of chains and stock sized tires whould get you through. I used to have a 22RE with a 1/4 million on it, and 31's. The difference from 235s was substantial, but not unreasonable (i'm about 1,000 above sea level).
Old 12-10-2003, 05:53 PM

first of all, i'd like to say welcome to all you new people who have posted in this thread.

second, duanedeidre, one of the biggest rules on this site, since it is a family site, is no swearing. im sure one of the moderators will be by soon to edit your post. not trying to nag, just letting you know.

third, yotagirl what size tires do have on there right now? if you just going up from 30" tires i wouldn't regear, but if it is running anything smaller and you are concerned about a lack of power i would regear, a little pricey, but if your going up to the mountains that often like me it will probably make it worth your while. i drive up to go skiing at least every weekend durring the winter in my 3.slow stupid soccer moms in their saburbans are always passing me.

yup yup yup. think thats all i have to say.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by tenfourtyeight
Can you give me any information and/ or links to information about the things you listed, Kyle?
here's a few links that can help you, good places to get parts:

http://www.lcengineering.com <--- these guys have nearly anything you could want for a toyota, things can get pricey though

http://www.doaracingengines.com <---- another good toyota performance place

i think the injector swaps have been covered on here, you'd be better off searching the forum than asking me i've never even owned a fuel injected vehicle. camshafts will typically run 100-150$, and can help quite a bit, especially some of the RV cams. a header will often reduce a bit of low end torque, but will give you more high end horsepower. i hear good things about lc engineering's header, though several companies make them
Old 12-10-2003, 07:26 PM

Hey, thanks for the links.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as for us carbed guys, a weber is a huge improvement over stock
I haven't really looked into this myself, but isn't a Weber a trade-off in offroad performance?
It seems half the Weber owners think they cause you to stall in off camber situations, and the other half can't get enough of tearing up the dirt

:beach:
Old 12-11-2003, 12:18 PM

i've never had a problem with my weber. i think it could be something to do with how they're jetted. i think the performance on the road is worth any problems it could cause me offroad

a friend of mine is going to be making an angled carb spacer for his jeep(351w) that angles the carb forward, which would supposedly improve its performance on steep hills. as for downhill, he couldn't care less(you can coast down, after all). i'll have to see how that goes

Quick Reply: New owner of an 89 pickup