95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New mods completed and a unexpected repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 11:16 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New mods completed and a unexpected repair

Over the last 2 weeks I have been adding to my mod list. When will this project end? I got a new set of 285/75R16 BFG AT KOs and SAWs. Let me just give a big thanks to Xtreme Mike for his prompt service and great price on the SAWs. Well, all was going well until I found out my steering rack was loose on the left side. I discussed part of this in the thread about racks going out buy Mikey.I took it to the dealer and they said it needed a new rack and tie rods. I am very lucky that I am still under warranty. I got the truck back today and I honestly can't appreciate a big difference in the steering. I am happy with the lift and new tires. I really like the look now. I am very curious about the Azrain skid plate. I think it would make a good addition to my truck as well. Check out the pics.

http://community.webshots.com/user/sharepa
Old 07-10-2003, 07:03 AM

Re: New mods completed and a unexpected repair

Originally posted by ts1
.......... I am very lucky that I am still under warranty.
That is LUCKY. Dealer have any ideas as to why it needed replaced so early? The $$ for the rack can be cut from the price of the SAWs now, you saved money putting your lift on.

I think you'll like the SAW's I sure do. It really improved the ride and handling, both on the highway and off highway on my Taco. I only lifted mine about 1" and run 265/75-16s
Old 07-10-2003, 07:47 AM

Lookin good
Old 07-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Looking good! One note of caution, I just installed my SAWS about two weeks ago, and as others have noted, saw grease from the CV boots begin to splatter. I couple of plastic zip ties did the trick (don't use metal clamps, they'll cut the boot), I went on a 1100 mile road trip, and saw no further leakage. This might be old news to you, but just wanted to remind you. The splatter didn't show up for a couple of days after the lift.

On the tires, did you put them on the stock rim? Do you think you'll get rubbing with the 285's?
Old 07-10-2003, 08:16 AM
ts1
Contributing Member

On the tires, did you put them on the stock rim? Do you think you'll get rubbing with the 285's?
Yes, the tires are on stock rims and I don't have any rubbing issues thus far.

I am not too happy hearing that I may get grease coming out of my CV boot so I will keep a lookout for it. Thanks for the heads-up! Did grease splatter on the side closer to the wheel?
Old 07-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

ts1,
Nice Rack!! I couldn't resist.

That is one nice looking truck, very clean. I hope my rack is ok, because that is an expensive fix!
The SAWS look great too! I want some.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:27 AM

Arrow just wondering

I was just wondering if the dealership said anything about the lift and other mods when covering the rack under warranty. I know how they can be about stuff like that. Anyway very nice rig
Old 07-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ts1
I am not too happy hearing that I may get grease coming out of my CV boot so I will keep a lookout for it. Thanks for the heads-up! Did grease splatter on the side closer to the wheel?
I drove for over 5000 miles after installing my SAWs and never had this happen, I installed front diff drop spacers last week so I don't figure I'll be having that prob. and if it does happen, I'll just do the ORS manual hub conv. and be done with it. looks good dude.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

I installed diff spacers at the same time I did the lift. It may have been the CV's adjusting to the new angle and forcing a small amount out, and may have stopped after that, but it certainly doesn't hurt having the zip ties to play it save. Steve Schaefer has had this happen too, if I remember correctly.

Yes, it was the side closer to the wheel. The inner boot didn't seem to have any leakage at all.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:03 AM
Contributing Member

Usually it's the inner CV boots that leak from the clamp. At least both of mine did. When I first discovered the splattered grease, I was pissed. I thought I did some serious damage to the joints. But everything turned out alright. Zip ties did the trick.

CV boot leak

Last edited by TStango; 07-11-2003 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

The inner CV boots have fold over and close clamps. This means they only have 1 adjustment point. The boots/clamps are designed to run most of the time with the axle and CV completely flat.

With lift, 1" 2", 2.5" the boots run most of the time at an angle. Well they were designed to run flat, so grease seeps through the clamp when its at an angle. Now the CV inside is just fine. No worries there. There is also tons and tons of grease in there so loosing a little is not a worry either.

Look at this pic:

This is what is inside. Yellow grease in the cup, black in the wheel end. See the grooves cut into the axle shaft? When you added the lift, I bet the boot "pulled" forward or backward out of that groove, allowing a gap at the clamp. So what I would do is crawl under there and make sure the boot is pushed up and is fully seated in that groove. The other thing you could do, but it's more work, low cost. Is pull the axle shaft out, take the tripod joint off and replace the 4Runner fold over clip with a Tacoma, american made squeeze tight clamp. The 4Runner and the Tacoma have different inner boots and different clamps. The Tacoma clamps you could continue to tighten down to stop leakage. Taking the axles out is not difficult but is very time consumeing.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Old 07-11-2003, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sschaefer3
T....Is pull the axle shaft out, take the tripod joint off and replace the 4Runner fold over clip with a Tacoma, american made squeeze tight clamp. The 4Runner and the Tacoma have different inner boots and different clamps. The Tacoma clamps you could continue to tighten down to stop leakage. Taking the axles out is not difficult but is very time consumeing.
So steve, are you saying to just replace the clamp? or the boot and clamp with the Taco boot and clamp since both are different then the runner's? I figure since it would be off the vehicle, might as well replace all the boots with new ones.

I figure I'm just waiting for them to rupture so it will give me an excuse to feed the wife of why I need to order the ORS manual hubs kit.

Last edited by keisur; 07-11-2003 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

My bad- it was yellow grrease that I had splatter, I've gotten my inner and outer confused. With the zips, no more leakage observed.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:41 PM

Cany somebody lecture me what the purpose of the rack is.

And also, how much are those SAW's?
Old 07-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
So steve, are you saying to just replace the clamp? or the boot and clamp with the Taco boot and clamp since both are different then the runner's? I figure since it would be off the vehicle, might as well replace all the boots with new ones.

I figure I'm just waiting for them to rupture so it will give me an excuse to feed the wife of why I need to order the ORS manual hubs kit.
You want 4Runner boots, If yours are fine keep using them no need to replace them, but only swap out the inner boot little clamp for a Tacoma inner boot little clamp. A Tacoma boot will not fit the 4Runner "cup" because the 4Runner cup is alot bigger and stronger. The clamps are the same size on the axle end.

The 4Runner clamps are much fancier and Japaneese made the Tacoma clamps are more crude and American made.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by KING
Cany somebody lecture me what the purpose of the rack is.

And also, how much are those SAW's?
Steering rack. Tacoma and 3rd Gen 4Runners have a rack and pinion steering.

1st, 2nd Gen 4Runners, Land Crusiers till 1997 and Non-Tacoma pickups use a recircualting ball steering box.

SAWs are 700-800 bucks.
Old 07-12-2003, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Just got my SAWS ~3 weeks ago, current price for 3rd gen is $675
from Mike at Extreme Offroad.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
Steering rack. Tacoma and 3rd Gen 4Runners have a rack and pinion steering.

1st, 2nd Gen 4Runners, Land Crusiers till 1997 and Non-Tacoma pickups use a recircualting ball steering box.

SAWs are 700-800 bucks.
Thanks for your response!
Old 07-12-2003, 05:39 PM

TS1- That's a sweet deal with the stealership covering the rack under warranty. Do you happen to know if they put the updated model in?? It sure would suck to replace it again when the trucks out of warranty.........I'm dreading forking over the cash for that one!!

Quick Reply: New mods completed and a unexpected repair