Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

NEW MOD - 12V Power outlet in console

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 03:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NEW MOD - 12V Power outlet in console

I just thought I would share my latest silly little mod ... it may have been done before.

I don't like seeing wires strewn across my forward (shifter) console where the two 12V outlets are so I thought it would be nice to have an outlet at the rear of the center console. (I use a Motorola portable hands-free phone kit that needs a 12V source.)

In deciding how to do the mod the one requirement I had was that I would not drill any holes or do anything that could not be easily reversed.

I ordered one black 12V outlet housing and cover from Toyota:
85530-06010 housing $12.86
85535-35050 cover $6.77

I disassembled the console and dash area and removed the console box from the vehicle. On the bench I removed the ashtray and then carefully pried up the three little tabs at the rear of the ashtray compartment. This allowed the trim ring on the face of the console box to separate from the rest of the compartment. I then removed it from the console.

I used 1/8” thick pebble grain black vinyl sheet stock that I got for making backing plates for stereo installs (I think I got it from PartsExpress) and cut out a plate the size of the recessed area of the ashtray opening. I used the ashtray trim ring to make a template. The next question was how to attach the plate to the console box. I used clear plastic tabs, the kind that are used to attach mirrors to walls and doors in your home. The tabs I had were for ¼” plate glass so I planed them down to have the necessary depth… 1/8”. Then I beveled them slightly on the inner face of the tab so that they would have better purchase on the inner edges of the console box. I know this is hard to visualize but once you are into the project it should become clear by simple reasoning. I drilled two holes in the plate I made on the left and right sides, in about ¼” from the edges and used two black #8 x 5/8"sheet metal screws with washers. The black screws/washers are sold at places like Pep Boys and are used for securing door panels, dash boards and other integral parts. The screws cut into the screw holes in the clear tabs allowing me to tighten them down and secure the plate to the console. Before I did that I drilled a 1” hole with a Unibit into the plate I made and then enlarged it with a Dremel and notched it in the appropriate place so that the new 12V housing would slide in and lock in place. In order to provide the proper clearance for the cup holder I had to bend the +/- tabs perpendicular to the housing.

The wiring harness was made to run forward and lineman splices were made into the leads of one of the two 12V outlets at the dash. The OE wires are B/R (+) and W/B(-). I used 16 awg hookup wire, put a Molex 2-wire connector in line just behind the shifters so that if I need to remove the console box I can simply disconnect the harness at that point and pull the box. The rest of the harness was permanently attached to the box so that it would not interfere with anything and push-on female crimp connectors were used for the connection to the blade tabs on the 12V outlet housing.

Make sure that your connections are sleeved and taped so that there is no chance of a short at any time and solder as many of the connections as you can if you want to do it right.

I chose to use the black vinyl material and black 12V plug/cover instead of painting it to match the console box. I also used the 1/8” material because I wanted the rigidity it provided. I tried a thinner material but it flexed too much when pushing or pulling a plug at the socket and I didn’t like that.

That is it. It was a fun little project and took care of my mental health needs for a day or two.
:pat:
Old 08-14-2003, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pics?

i noticed that u are S/C'd and also have the ISR Mod. Was this Mod beneficial w/ the S/C? i also notice that u have the TRD Exhaust w/ Addco Swaybars. did/do u have any issues w/ them rubbing?

Last edited by broknlgs24; 08-14-2003 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:44 AM

That is always a problem for me and the easiest way is for me to send them to you at your private email. Send me a PM if you want me to do it that way or when I have time I will refresh my memory on how to get them attached on the board.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:00 AM

broknlgs24 -
You have a PM
Old 08-15-2003, 06:32 PM

Picture of 12V outlet

Here is a picture of the completed installation if anyone is interested.