Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

New member/ Windshield replacement question

Old 01-10-2003, 01:45 AM
Fast Ca$h

New member/ Windshield replacement question

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum, but I've already learned tons about my new toy from the vast wealth of information here. I Recently bought a 97 Limited 4x4 4runner and absolutely love it. My first purchase was the Burtman factory matched wood grain interior kit which looks awesome (Thanks again Jason). Just yesterday I went out and bought the supplies for the deckplate mod and am looking forward to installing it this weekend. I can't wait to see what kind of difference that makes. I'm sure this is just the beginning of a long and expensive addiction.

So far my only issue with my 4runner is that the windshield is cracked. It has a big rock chip and a horizontal crack that is about 12 -16 inches long. I assume it is too big to get repaired and will probably require replacing. I have a $500 deductable on my insurance so I don't see that as an option. Any ideas how much it will set me back to get a new windshield?

Kevin
Old 01-10-2003, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!! Your wallet will hate you!

I don't know what windshield companies are in TX, but in Utah the companies usually offer a deal where they pay your deductable up to $100.

When my dad got his windshield replaced and went through the insurance, the windshield was $600 and the insurance paid for it all. That price seemed high because when he got it replaced again, the windshield was $200 and the insurance also paid for it.

In my expierence glass companies don't charge as much if you are not going through insurance..
Old 01-10-2003, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

It shouldn't be much more than $250.

You do realize that hanging around with this bunch of characters is going to mean the end of all your "extra" spending money, don't you?
Old 01-10-2003, 05:49 AM

Make sure that you are looking at your comprehensive deductible. That sounds more like a collision deductible, usually the comprehensive or glass deductibles are in the $100 range.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the forum!

Bobk has a good point about the deductables being different, check into that.

When you talk to the different glass shops, be sure and ask the differences in price for cash work versus insurance work, as was also metioned.

The other option is to see if a junk yard or the glass shop can get you the windshield as "used" These are usually near perfect condition and cost a lot less. I had a used windshield put in a beater truck I had and it was just as good as new and really cheap. Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:33 AM

I agree with Tomus, it should not be more than $250. One thing that you want to do is go to a reputable dealer. My family had a few problems with a company that THOUGHT they knew what they were doing, when they really didn't. Just make sure the people that change your windshield do it right. Just note: your windshield will not pass inspection and due to safety, should be changed asap! Goodluck. :fireman:
Old 01-10-2003, 09:07 AM

I would call your insurance agent. There is a thing called glass coverage and you may have it on your policy and not even know it. I know a buddie of mine did that and his insurance covered the damage to his car.

Hope it works out for you,

Eric
Old 01-10-2003, 09:33 AM

Welcome to YotaTech! You're gonna be addicted like the rest of us, you realize.....
Old 01-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Fast Ca$h

Thanks for the input guys. I am afraid if I try to claim it on insurance they will raise my rates. I just called a local place and they happened to be running a special this week. They quoted me $159 which includes installation and lifetime gaurantee against leakage. They said they can even save the inspection and registration stickers. That sounds pretty reasonable since I was expecting to pay about twice that amount. Now I can spend the money I was planning to spend on something ELSE for the truck. Heh heh, good logic huh?
Old 01-10-2003, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Good News!

Sounds like the right Toyota owner, mod-driven logic to me...LOL.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:54 AM

$159 is a pretty good price. The cheapest I could find was $275 w/o insurance. With insurance, it cost me $200 as they "covered" the first $50 of my deductable.

One thing to note on the windshield is the rain channels on the molding that seals the windshield. Apparently, the generic molding usually does not come with that channeling.

Another item to think about is the type of glue that is used. Some of the cheaper glues take a very long time (measured in hours) to dry enough to drive the vehicle.

I have no idea if either of these would be a concern for you, but I wanted to throw them out there just the same.

Rick
Old 01-11-2003, 12:35 AM

See how much your insurance co will charge to lower your comprehensive deductible. I lowered mine from $500.00 to $50.00. My premium only went up slightly. I've changed my windshield twice since. I posted earlier about using the Toyota OEM seal as most shops will replace with a cheap generic. I went to the shop Toyota uses and the 2nd time, they really messed up the seal. It takes skill to make it look straight and factory. It looks like ˟˟˟˟ on the top edge and they tried twice. :mad: Thanks Ace. I read somewhere that the Taco has a flat top edge with the rain gutter sides and it should work on the Runner. I'll have them try that next time. Good luck and welcome aboard.
butnut
Old 01-11-2003, 02:54 AM

I had a chip on my windshield that I had "fixed" by novus here in WA. However, following a Ford truck on day on SR 20, I heard a loud bang noise, and not seeing any obvious damage, didn't think anything of it. When I got home there was a big chip and a crack starting on my windshield! There was a place here called Olympic Auto glass, and due to my $500 deductible, I decided that I had to pay out of pocket. They had a promotion where they gave an instant $100 rebate. I ended up paying $400 for the new windshield. How expensive! I was glad in the end though, because my old windshield was so pitted. I could see clearly at least. :eek:
Old 01-11-2003, 08:38 AM

I last replaced the windshield in my 1991 toy pickup. It came too $467 canadian. Luckily at that time my deductable was only $100. Although that has since gone up too $200 here in BC.