Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new member with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new member with some questions

Hi, I'm frorm Vancouver, BC. Up until last week I owned a 1990 4Runner. Then sadly my fiancee wrapped it against a phone pole on an icy road early in the morning. She is OK, but the 4Runner is a write off.
A couple questions if you don't mind...
I'd like to get a '96-'97 4Runner, if I can get a loan for the difference on what the insurance company gives me for my '90. I would be looking at a 4x4 V6 automatic.
Are there any limitations on what trim levels/option packages will have the electic locker? How much more should I expect to pay for a 4Runner with this option?
Is there a "big tire package" for '96+?
Also, is there anything I need to know about buying a used 3rd generation 4Runner? Recurring problems, issues, recalls, etc?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Dylan-

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your fiance's accident. Glad no one was hurt.

I think SR5s and Limiteds will have the 16 inch wheel instead of 15. As far as the locker, there have been a few discussions on what models had and which ones didn't. I think the best bet is just ot verify it yourself by looking for the little "RR Diff Lock" Button on the dash, that is the only sure way to know if it has one. I think some early '96 models may have had a headgasket recall and there was also a recall on the rear coils for 96-98 models, but only 98s after a certain date. Any dealer should be able to use the VIN off any prospective truck to tell you if the recalls applied and if they were taken care of. Also, the 1-800-toyota-number(? not sure what it is?) can look up VIN info for you. Good Luck in your quest to find a replacement 4Runner.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member

I think you nailed it all loosehead. That was a great breakdown of everything, I agree with it all. I definatley say find one with the factory locker. Either than that I have nothing else to say, lossehead said it all.

Welcome to the board, sad to hear about your Runner,

Can we please have moment of silance for a fallen rig.:cry:

But I sure hope you get a nice check from the insurance company for your loss and can replace it soon, then hook up with us all here and get your rig set up right. Good luck and make yourself at home.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Hey! Welcome to the forum. I own a 2nd gen, so I don't really know how to answer you question. Wouldn't mind one myself though.

Anyhow, here a post from a bit ago by mt_goat that I copy and pasted here. It's got the Toyota #. Here ya go:

Here is the Toyota case line #(800)331-4331. One little tip when reading the letters in your vin# over the phone say Victor instead of "V", David instead of "D" etc. They will tell you if yours is part of the recall or if it has already been done by a PO they will tell you that too.

Well, have fun and, again, welcome!
DH6twinotter
Old 12-16-2002, 05:56 PM

Thanks guys!

I'll be sure to check with Toyota on the recall status of whatever I get.

As far as the locker goes, I'd like one, but if I can't find one, how much would it cost for me to buy one (or an aftermarket equivalent) and have it installed?
Old 12-16-2002, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Alot, your looking at at least 500-700 dollars for a locker and then install cost can't be cheep, it never is, I have no exact clue but it would be a pretty penny I can say that much.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:16 PM

Fair enough. I'll try and find one with the factory locker. I'm somewhat limited by time though. My woman and I both work and are trying to share my remaining car. The clock is ticking down as the remaining car is a Corvette, and if it snows here, we ain't goin' nowhere.

I don't suppose anyone could suggest an online resource for finding used 4Runners? Nothing generic like Ebay, or Autotrader, but something more like a forum like this with people selling their rides personaly? It's a longshot but you never know. Bought my other car that way and it worked out well.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2002, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

look for the "RR DIFF LOCK" button for the locker. all limiteds and most SR5s came with 16" wheels on 265/70s.

if you cant find a rig with one, WAIT! dont plan on getting an e-locker put in. parts alone are around 500-700 as mentioned, depending on how you do it, then add labor, another 500. good luck, check the 4x4wire.com for sale section.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:35 AM

Hi there my fellow canuk! Glad to hear that no one was hurt in the mishap!
Regarding pricing, check out www.autotrader.ca and search for the model years you're interested in. This will give you a good idea of what price point you'll be looking at. If Vancouver is anything like the Toronto area be prepared to spend top $$ for a nice one. If you can afford to be patient, you should be able to find the one you want. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2002, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Locker costs

Don't forget the Limited will cost a bit more than the SR5, so the cost of installing a locker may be a wash.

I went through the same debate and ended up getting my SR5 (cost $500 less, was a year newer, and had fewer miles, than a limited I was looking at) and am now getting the parts to install the rear e-locker. I found the rear carrier with 4.30 gears for $400. I've pulled all the necessary electrical off another donor and paid $60 (ECU, switch, + harness). I do have an unfair advantage and have a brother who is a welder/fabricator, so the install will be close to free. I like doing these sorts of projects - it forces me to get to know my truck. Plus the electrical prep is a fun indoor winter project.

To simplify the process you could just get a whole rear axle and just swap that in for around $700 or so. That's an easy shadetree job.

Of just find a good deal on a Limited.
Old 12-18-2002, 05:59 AM

Another fellow Canadian I see.

Looks like everyone here's already covered all the 'fun' stuff with you.

Well then, welcome to YotaTech!
Old 12-18-2002, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the welcomes! It won't be long until I have another 4Runner, I hope.

It looks like it won't be a 3rd gen though. I talked to my bank last night about getting a loan. Since I'm self employed they are hesitant about loaning me money, so looks like another 2nd gen for me. Probably another 1990, I was pretty happy with the last one.

Oh, the insurance company offered me $8500cdn yesterday as a buy out for the crushed 4Runner. I said I'd look into replacement costs and called them back today with a counter offer of $10,700. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dylan
Old 12-18-2002, 03:20 PM

Settled with the insurance company for $9800cdn.
That's about $6400us.
As a comparison, I paid about $6700us for it almost exactly 4 years ago, put about $1200 in maintenance into it over 4 years. I think I did pretty well. It had 180,000kms when I bought it, and 280,000kms when it was crashed.

I'm glad the accident happened last week instead of two weeks from now when I planned on buying a new set of tires and new shocks for it.

Anyway, off to brows the local newspapers for G2 4Runners. If anyone knows of one for sale of good quality, preferably with mods, and preferably in Canada, let me know!
Old 12-18-2002, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Sonds like you made out quite well on your settlement, Dylan.

Good luck and happy hunting!