Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Member, New 4R on the way

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member, New 4R on the way

Hey wasup everyone. Finally found a 4Runner forum I'm an old fan of the hard to kill toyota trucks. My first ride was a '78 2wd that my grandpa had on the farm that was ran for the last years of its life with no air filter and had to pour a little gas in the carb to start it. They eventually parked it in a field and left it (it still ran) and I severally ran the hell out of it and parked it to die again. Recently, a '91 4x4 short cab that I beat into submission, bent the frame, but never actually broke anything other than the clutch pedal mount breaking. Oh, And my 1991 1-ton Toyota Motorhome

So now onto a 3rd gen for myself. I usually buy my cars from a rebuilder that I've been doing business with for several years. I like being able to buy cars with low miles that he commonly has. I don;t care that they've beeen wrecked as I am careful and thorough in looking over the vehicle.

Just today I signed the papers for a '98 4runner with 13,000 miles. Purchasing it for $10,000 (financed w/no interest).
I believe it's an SR5 (does not have any badges). It has sunroof, 3.4L, Automatic, 4x4, power windows/locks. It's only been wrecked in the front left corner (just sheetmetal damage). The parts car being used to "help" repair it is a '99 4Runner Limited.

I went over the '99 and am getting the leather seats, stereo, Front bumper/grill/lights, and of course the locking rear diff is mine too from the '99 That was the must have for sealing the deal....

So what do you guys think? Decent deal? I've been looking but can't find anything with 13,000 miles. Have there been any problems with the '98's? It's been sitting in the insurance lot since 1998... Do you think that may cause any issues??? Like rotted seals/rubber?

Any advice would be much helpful. As soon as I get it I'll post some pics, and then again after I put some bigger rubber on it.

What's the common lift/tire size peeps are putting on these?

Alright, I'll shut up now
Old 12-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

With 13k miles and a clean title, I'd be willing to pay a lot. Thats practiclly brand new. Amazing. However, it's been sitting forever. Tires, hoses, fluids, etc are probably toast.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:21 AM

Uh... Only sheetmetal damage but an entire parts truck purchased to fix it? Not to be a downer, but it sounds like more than just sheetmetal damage if an entire vehicle is being used to fix it.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:45 AM

well, it's a car dealership and all he does is rebuild cars. He has three 4Runners there, one '98 (mine) and two 99's. A limited (which is totalled and used for parts, and another 99 that looks pretty good. Anyone need that 3.4, tranny and transfer out of the '99? Let me know, I'll ask how much. Bet you could get it all for under $4g... I'll post some pics of mine when they get it ready...
Thanks guys
Old 12-04-2005, 11:41 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wouldn't the springs out of the '99 give a '98 about 1" of "free" lift?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by jeremys73
Anyone need that 3.4, tranny and transfer out of the '99? Let me know, I'll ask how much. Bet you could get it all for under $4g...
I'd make sure you have the frame checked out - just to be safe.

And re: the price above. That's over double the value of that engine/tranny/tcase combo.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:58 AM

:rockband:

Yeah?? Sweet... I'll be sure to see about getting them. Front and Rear???
This forum is ahelluva lot better than that 4runner.org place...

Anything else you guys can think of that I should get while the gettin's good

:rockband:
Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by rockota
I'd make sure you have the frame checked out - just to be safe.

And re: the price above. That's over double the value of that engine/tranny/tcase combo.

Really? Hmmm. If I can get that engine/tranny for a couple of g's, maybe It would be feasible to swap in a 3.4 into my '91 toyota motorhome... It has the 3.0 and is slow as sh*!

I wonder how hard it would be to put the engine/tranny/transfer/front axle in... that would be cool to have a 4x4 motorhome
Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could look at stuff that may wear out - thinking CV joints in particular...Oh - one more thing:
Does 3rd gen use the spare tire lift under the bed? Make sure you have a working mechanism... I found out the hard way that I have a useless spare tire since I can't lower it down!

It was said above, but here's another recommendation for draining and replacing ALL the fluids.