Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new member here with a newly rig!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new member here with a newly rig!

Hello folks, i'm proud to be a toyota owner now For weeks now, i've been searching for a tacoma and never really had any luck for a tacoma. However i spotted a sharp looking 4 runner at a dealership parking lot. It caught my eye and guess what? i bought it

It's a 98 4runner with power everything. It has 93k miles and it drives mint with no problems. The dealer was very nice, wasnt very pushy or anything like most salesmens who tries to rip me off. apparently an old guy used to own this 4runner.

anyways, i have a question for you guys. I've got a bit of a feeling that i may have spent too much on this. The dealer gave me a deal of 8,200$. According to kbb the retail value was 10k and i thought i had a deal. there was a group of people who were looking at this nice truck. So i was like "fk it" and bought it lol.

I've had this 95 ford ranger for the longest time since sophmore year high school. This thing has given me headaches and burnt some holes in my pocket. I'm very happy to get rid of the clunker. I mean going from 2 rolling windows to 6 powered windows is a blessing. God, i hate stepping outside and locking the hubs on the ranger, the push button on the 4runner... me likey

Well here's the pics

old clunker's gone! whew

doggy approves

So what do you guys think?

thanks

Last edited by bvet4dog; 09-02-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:03 PM

Welcome to YotaTech and to the Toyota World! I really like it and I'm diggin the color. You got an amazing deal, man. It looks like its in nice condition and not many miles at all. I think i paid closer to 9 or 10 for mine and it's got 122K (well and it's also fully loaded) Whats your future plans?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:08 PM

ya dude looks nice and welcome to the forum... congrats on getting a beautiful 4runner!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:16 PM

well since i'm in college, working toward to a degree in public administration. That requires alot of my time, and i'm unsure how my work situation are gonna be like. I just started classes on tuesday, my work hours has been cut like by 3/4 of my usual hours.

So, i'm tempting to come up with ideas of what i can do with it as in mods. Understand this, my mother and my grandfather has helped me to get this 4runner. Now if i were to do any major mods, they would give me lectures and all of the yada yada that i dont want to deal with lol. Anyways, I'm wondering, should i take off the running boards? I'm not so sure if it'd look better or not. Because of the color and the way it sits.

I will be taking my stereo out of my ranger and installing it tomorrow (i hope). i need to find a guideline on how to install it, i'm having troubles with finding one since i found most guides for newer 4runners. Right now, the 4runner has a pioneer cd player installed and it seems to be screwed in some how.

EDIT: phew i'm glad to see i had a good deal. This is my 2nd vehicle and i was very nervous about buying it. The dealer said he only had it sitting at the lot for less than 2 weeks and had a handful of people looking at it.

Last edited by bvet4dog; 09-02-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice, looks really clean. I think you got a very reliable truck for a decent price. For a little comparison, I bought my '97 8 years ago w/ 90K for $15,000. I have 190K now and still going strong. Congrats!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:19 PM

Yeah, ditch the running boards...unless you like mud on the back of your pantlegs.

Last edited by brian2sun; 09-02-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 PM

is it easy to take off the running boards?

Another thing i'm very thrilled is that i've got a chick magnet ride now. you wouldnt imagine on how many dates i've went on over this recent summer with alot of good looking girls. Almost every single one of them ditched me cuz of my ranger Now they are gonna be sooo sorry for ditching me hahaha

well any other mods or ideas do you guys might have that i COULD do? I was thinking maybe start with something small and work my way up, to avoid my mother/gramp hollering lol. I've seen some small mods that my friends used to do on their pick ups and the small mods had made a big difference. So i thought maybe i could do the same. However i'm a newbie at this point so, any help would be much appreciated.

By the way, thanks for the fast response!

Last edited by bvet4dog; 09-02-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Ditch them.. they look better without. I'm working on getting rid of mine cus i am still use to jumping in my old jacked up jeep i had. Unless you REALLY REALLY use them I would say take them off. A couple mods quick mods is the K&N filter of course along with the deckplate mod >> http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=85. haha, and work on some tint.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 PM

Mods for the 3rd gen are one of the most covered things on here. Do a quick search and you'll find lots of cheap DIY ideas.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 PM

smokin deal buddy...comgrats
Old 09-02-2009, 09:39 PM

Running boards are what makes the vehicle look solid.They also help prevent rust and damage to side of vehicle and help with reaching roof from sides.I really like them on my 90,makes the runner look thick instead of anorexic.Why would he be worried about mud on his pants?...thats what wash machines are for.Hes a college dude,highly doubt he will bury his mom and grandpas co-sponsored rig in the mud very often.Nice runner man,take care of it.

Last edited by Matt90V6SR5; 09-02-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Another thought
Old 09-02-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Matt22RE904Runner
Why would he be worried about mud on his pants?...thats what wash machines are for.Hes a college dude,highly doubt he will bury his mom and grandpas co-sponsored rig in the mud very often.Nice runner man,take care of it.
If it rains or snows a lot, the running boards become mud magnets from tire fling. If you're like me and don't ever actually step on the boards to get out, your calves will naturally rub against them and ruin your nice clean pants. The women aren't amused w/ dirt on their legs either. Ask me how I know.

I took my boards off for 3 reasons:
1) They looked gay.
2) The aforementioned mud on the trousers.
3) They don't last too long once you start off-roading. That's why so many people do away w/ them and get rock sliders.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:37 PM

smoke your tail lights, i just did it to my runner today...

you could also tint which isnt that much, or paint ur wheels, or mount some lights. these are all on my to do list but im low on money and have 2 cars to work on
Old 09-02-2009, 11:30 PM

Guess its a matter of taste,I think they look bad ass on my runner and Im not even gay:how bout that.Its something solid to step on and Im not a midget to be worrying about my calves.Could care less about build up,it falls off.Sliders are for show and busting your ass if your feet are wet and your not careful.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:10 AM

Hey 70elcoss my 4runner is just like yours except white with black running boards,which I just used to stand on while cleaning my windshield.Am looking into third brake light.Gotta love them real chrome bumpers to!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Matt22RE904Runner
Guess its a matter of taste,I think they look bad ass on my runner and Im not even gay:how bout that.Its something solid to step on and Im not a midget to be worrying about my calves.Could care less about build up,it falls off.Sliders are for show and busting your ass if your feet are wet and your not careful.
I didn't say you were gay, I said my 4runner looked gay w/ running boards. Anyways, I've had 3 different 4runners and learned all kinds of little quirks and things that go along with owning them. I'm just sharing some of my experience.

There are reasons why so many people choose to remove their running boards, and some are beyond just the way it looks. They don't provide any real protection. They crumple under the weight of the truck and smash against the body often resulting in more damage. I've never heard of some one keeping rust at bay by not removing their running boards either.

Rock sliders were invented to protect the frame and body from rock damage, and although they may look cool, that's not why people who wheel buy them.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:32 AM

Welcome to YT! At least you wont be Found On Road Dead J/K
Old 09-03-2009, 05:35 AM

hey bvet4dog i no wat ur saying bout parents bc my parents elped me get my 4runner too and im also a college student but there are so many cheap mods u can do depending on wat u want and texas ace has a thread on mods for 3rd gen 4runners...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a...s-most-113806/
Old 09-03-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
Please, tell me, how are sliders for show?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:29 AM

my 98 is that color too so i like it. i like the fender flares and tires on your's. i think this thread is about to get interesting too

Evan, you have the best slider of them all, and it comes on most 4runners anyway! Yay for Evan's slider (trailer hitch) hahaha.

but i think what he was meaning about sliders being for show is people who put them on and the only stuff they see are water puddles and gravel driveways. but majority of the time... sliders are not for show.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new member here with a newly rig!