Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New member with 85 Pickup

Old 06-29-2005, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member with 85 Pickup

I've had an 85 Toyota Pickup for a couple of years now. It was my father in laws for about 5 years then my wife (then g/f) drove it to school for a couple of years then it was parked. When we got married I decided it wouldn't hurt to have a pickup and took it home. The bed is about 20% rust but thanks to a dropin bedliner (that probably caused the rust anyways) it holds together enough to haul my dirt bike and stuff. Anyways, I've got a 98 Jeep Wrangler that I've been wheeling but I end up not having as much fun as the guys in the old Bronco's and old pickups because I still have car payments to make and end up taking really easy trails and hitting the small mudholes.

I'm thinking about selling my Wrangler and fixing up the Toyota for some light offroad. Nothing like rock crawling or anything major, just what a set of 31's or 33" m/t's would get me through. The truck is lifted in the front maybe 2" with an add a leaf I think but they didn't do the back. So I was thinking about getting the block lift and raising it 2" to at least level it out. There's a pretty good amount of wheel gap even with the 31's on there now so I know I could fit 32's w/o a problem and probably 33's since I don't ever flex it too much. Later on I might add lockers front and rear and do a few other minor things. Just thought I'd join this forum because I KNOW I'm going to have questions. Oh yeah, the truck is a 22R or RE (don't know how to tell or what the difference is), EFI, and automatic I'd rather have a stick shift but this will do seeing as how it was free. It's got 210,000 miles on it also Anyone got any tips for prepping this thing for light offroading?

Last edited by sorny; 06-29-2005 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome.
for your 85, you might wanna upgrade your steering to Hy steer. it's much more precised. I don't recommend using block.
You can use the rear springs for the front and install chevy springs in the back. this will increase the flex and better ride. Btw, take out the AAL in the front.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:04 AM

What's Hy steer? Hydraulic steering? I noticed the steering in the Toyota is tough to get used to when compared to something like my 98 Jeep. This makes me sound really dumb, but I never really noticed if it had power steering or not. Sure as hell doesn't feel like it when you're going at slow speeds.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

if you've got EFI, you've got the 22RE
Old 06-29-2005, 09:53 AM

Check out Marlin Crawler at http://www.marlincrawler.com/, he makes good stuff. Welcome to the board, it's a great resource.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Cool What Up?

Here's my '84 with OME springs and 33" BFG-AT's

http://www.rocky-road.com/4runner.html

Before installing a 'Budbuilt' high-clearance crossmember:

After:

http://www.budbuilt.com/new/

OME springs and a high-clearance crossmember on your year truck will give you a pretty capable rig.

Post pix after you have a chance to work on it a little!

Jim
Old 06-29-2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by sorny
What's Hy steer? Hydraulic steering? I noticed the steering in the Toyota is tough to get used to when compared to something like my 98 Jeep. This makes me sound really dumb, but I never really noticed if it had power steering or not. Sure as hell doesn't feel like it when you're going at slow speeds.
Hy steer is a different type of steering. It moved the tie rod up and above the springs. It also eliminate a lot of over/under bump steer.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/steering.html
Old 06-30-2005, 05:45 AM

OMG, that 84 is freakin' beautiful!! Makes mine look like it should be pushed over a cliff! My bed is like 20% rust now (or more) and the paint is peeling off the rest of the body... which is one reason I thought it wouldn't be as bad taking it on this really tight TN mountain trails with trees and stuff scraping all over.

I'm thinking the starter is going out on mine. I turn the key and it clicks and nothing else happens. Eventually if I keep doing this over and over (turning the key off and back on) it'll eventually free up the starter. Does the starter on these Toyota's have the solenoid on the starter? I haven't seen anything under the hood.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yep, the solenoid is on the side. clicking is a sign of burned contacts, you can pull them out and file them, or replace them pretty cheaply.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, don't go with the blocks. Here's a recent picture that was on TTORA - carnage from lift blocks that failed:

Old 07-01-2005, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Yeah, don't go with the blocks. Here's a recent picture that was on TTORA - carnage from lift blocks that failed:

Wow, what would cause that to happen? Did the longer u-bolts rip apart or something and then the shocks break? Because the ubolts and the shocks are really the only things connecting the axle to the truck right? Besides the driveshaft I guess.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
all kinds of bad things can happen with blocks. they cause the axle to have more leverage against the springs, which leads to axle wrap. this can in turn lead to broken u-bolts, springs and u-joints.