Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New (to me) 2000 4Runner, what maintenance would you recommend

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (to me) 2000 4Runner, what maintenance would you recommend

Greetings all!
I am proud to share that my wife and I have purchased a 2000 Limited 4Runner. Got it for $8,000 with 136K. Seems to be be good shape. I'll post some pics later in the intro section. However, considering it has 136K and the only routine maintenance I know about it is that the timing belt was changed at 90K, I did what I thought needed to be done on most vehicles that age.

The things I have done:
spark plugs and wires (OEM)
Fuel Filter (OEM)
Oil and filer (AMSOIL)
AT flush (AMSOIL)
Tundra brake, caliper and rotor upgrade (Advanced Auto for reman OEM calipers, OEM brake pads and OEM rotors from carpartsdiscount.com)
MAF sensor cleaning (Autozone)
New brake fluid (AMSOIL)

* OEM parts ordered from toyotapartszone.com unless otherwise stated.

To do list:
Coolant flush
Repack bearings
Differential lube change
Air filter (actually considering performance air intake systems, advice is welcomed )
Grease drive train

Now, I request the wisdom of the Yotatech forum for what other maintenance I should perform on the 4Runner. Surely there elements that I have missed and some 3rd Gen specific things. Please offer any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
I see you're going to do a coolant flush soon, but also keep an eye on your radiator, or look into getting a external tranny cooler sometime in the future. Not sure if you've heard of the 'Strawberry Milkshake', but it's a pretty bad mess if you get it. I changed my radiator maybe 8 months ago and started to notice it might have been happening to be, and I was at about 130k. Also have the 3.4 Auto, not sure about you. Besides that it looks like you're pretty up to date on your stuff, good choice with the Tundra brake swap by the way!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 PM

+1 on looking at replacing the radiator, or at least looking at adding an external transmission cooler to prevent the pink milkshake. If you replace the radiator, get a new cap and hoses (OEM) at the same time. Toyota red is the way to go or the Zerex equivalent.

Check to see if the PCV rattles. Clean the throttle body. Tighten slack in control cables to TB.

4WD? Look at the lower ball joints for cracks in the boots.

Bearings are sealed, so if they go, have a press at your disposal. The rubber sway bar bushings may need replacing by this time. Since you seem to be rather fastidious with maintenance, I'd flush the power steering system and use some of the Amsoil ATF as new fluid.

Use the search engine here for other topics.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:11 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts

Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by CodyX36
I see you're going to do a coolant flush soon, but also keep an eye on your radiator, or look into getting a external tranny cooler sometime in the future. Not sure if you've heard of the 'Strawberry Milkshake', but it's a pretty bad mess if you get it. I changed my radiator maybe 8 months ago and started to notice it might have been happening to be, and I was at about 130k. Also have the 3.4 Auto, not sure about you. Besides that it looks like you're pretty up to date on your stuff, good choice with the Tundra brake swap by the way!
That is a good call on the radiator. I ordered a B&M 70264 and remote filter that should be in today. Don't plan on doing that much towing but $100 for both is cheap insurance for the Tranny. It will be interesting to see if I already have sign of the dreaded "Pink Milkshake" when I still it. I will let ya know!

Originally Posted by J2F42C
+1 on looking at replacing the radiator, or at least looking at adding an external transmission cooler to prevent the pink milkshake. If you replace the radiator, get a new cap and hoses (OEM) at the same time. Toyota red is the way to go or the Zerex equivalent.

Check to see if the PCV rattles. Clean the throttle body. Tighten slack in control cables to TB.

4WD? Look at the lower ball joints for cracks in the boots.

Bearings are sealed, so if they go, have a press at your disposal. The rubber sway bar bushings may need replacing by this time. Since you seem to be rather fastidious with maintenance, I'd flush the power steering system and use some of the Amsoil ATF as new fluid.

Use the search engine here for other topics.
Not sure if I am going to replace the radiator. I'll have a good look at it when I flush it with the rest of the coolant and install the tranny cooler. If indeed it does need to be replaced, I will certainly take your advice and do the hoses as well. Definitely adding the PCV and throttle body to the to do list. Moving this weekend but hope to get around to that after.Took a look at all boots and I dont see and cracks yet. I'll make sure to keep an eye on em. I will likely get around to the power sterring fluid flush, however, it is working well and I think the others items on the to do list are more urgent.

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate your input. With good care and maintenance I am hoping for 300K :wink:
Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by GreenArrow19
That is a good call on the radiator. I ordered a B&M 70264 and remote filter that should be in today. Don't plan on doing that much towing but $100 for both is cheap insurance for the Tranny. It will be interesting to see if I already have sign of the dreaded "Pink Milkshake" when I still it. I will let ya know!
Good call. Very good call.

Originally Posted by GreenArrow19
Not sure if I am going to replace the radiator. I'll have a good look at it when I flush it with the rest of the coolant and install the tranny cooler. If indeed it does need to be replaced, I will certainly take your advice and do the hoses as well. Definitely adding the PCV and throttle body to the to do list. Moving this weekend but hope to get around to that after.Took a look at all boots and I dont see and cracks yet. I'll make sure to keep an eye on em. I will likely get around to the power sterring fluid flush, however, it is working well and I think the others items on the to do list are more urgent.

Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate your input. With good care and maintenance I am hoping for 300K :wink:
If you have the B&M cooler, and bypass the radiator entirely (which it sounds like you are doing), then I don't think you need to replace the radiator. Do be sure to plug the old ATF ports on the stock cooler, or run a hose between them. That way if you do end up getting the leak, you won't lose all your coolant.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flush all diffs, not just the rear-consider going synthetic.

Opinions vary on this of course so get several opinions/read up a lot on here and T4R.org

Clean and treat the leather seats.

Enjoy the new to you ride.